BOX1

First Post...Plowing VERY long driveway. 700-4 up for it?

M

mgh-pa

Jan 18, 2018
Northcentral PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My wife and I will be building a home in the next year on 150 acres. The driveway will be 1/2 mile long, gravel, but relatively low grade changes (no more than 10% variance across the length). 90% open, last 10% is wooded. I currently plow with my Rubicon because my driveway is small and paved. I'm thinking of selling it and picking up a UTV that can be used for work around the property, plow, and of course, haul the family.

I have access to a tractor on the next property (my dads), and a friend who has a plow truck. However, I would like to be able to take care of the more milder snowfalls that we tend to get (2-4").

Most people have said I'm nuts and should never attempt this long of a driveway with a UTV, and should either get a plow truck (I have a Tundra but have no desire to plow with it), or buy a tractor (too many $$$ to drop right after building a home).

So what is the general consensus? Is this a bad idea? Should I be looking a more work orientated brand (Kubota, JD, Gravely, etc.)? I really like the ability to convert from 2, 3, to 4 on the Honda for our family which is initially why I was drawn to it.

Thanks!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The 700 will do it fine BUT......

the 1000 will do it better!!!!

This is my second winter of plowing with my P1K-3 and it has been amazing. My wife says that when I head out to plow driveways that I'm heading out to "play" but she doesn't understand what real work is nor how much pleasure that can be had by plowing with a Pioneer.

Reactions: ALM76 and swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Them folks are nuts, these machines are fun to plow with and your people will be amazed at how fast you will throw that snow out of your way.
And you don't have to borrow some one else's stuff is all worth it.
When my neighbors see it snowing
They know the drill, move your cars cause here I come......

Last edited:
ALM76

ALM76

L-I-V-I-N
Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2017
Lancaster, Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I've plowed a 1/4 mile drive with a Rancher for years with strategic planning and layers of clothes. As mentioned above, the 700 or 1000 will fit all your needs and have a blast doing it. Plus being a Honda you can't go wrong.;)

There should be some on YouTube you can check out in action.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A friend of mine just put a snow dogg v blade on his 700-4 and plows professionally with it. He uses his truck for main lots and his 700 for sidewalks etc. I don't think your driveway will be a problem, unless the snow is 18" deep.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If I had to chose a Honda to plow with it would be the 700 because of the transmission. Yes the 1000 has more grunt and you’d be done faster but the 700 is a great solid design for working imho

Harman24630

Harman24630

Mar 24, 2016
Tazewell Va
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have to plow the "state maintained " road to my house because VDOT refuses to put their equipment on steep grades. The road is paved, its steep but not horrible, and best estimate about 250 to 300 yards. I used to have a 78' Chevrolet truck with a western plow it done great but I made the decision to sell it and buy a plow for my 700-4 and it does just as good and is in my opinion better because it's more maneuverable, like others have noted more entertaining, and in my case didn't make sense to have a vehicle to maintain just for that purpose 4 months out of the year.

Reactions: Mudwing
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
700's are great for plowing snow, as everyone mentioned, they are much more easier to use when cleaning up small areas do to their size. I have a 350' gravel driveway ,plus more around the yard to do and all I use is the pioneer. I have a plow for my pick up but never use it. I've got a full enclosed cab (honda soft doors) heat and tunes so I can stay out there all day.

Reactions: Harman24630
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!