First ride Pioneer 500 dealer demo Drummond TN

O

onlyhonda

Oct 2, 2013
Warning: I am not a writer nor have a written a review before but.....
Got a chance to put the new pioneer through its paces Wed at a dealer demo. I've been in this industry with Honda for 15 years through a dealer. I know a lot of people were disappointed not to see a sport sxs or a larger cc sxs. But don't put it down just yet. This "little 500" will surprise you. I've been waiting on the Honda answer to the rzr for a while. Due to my livelihood coming from a honda dealer I won't buy any other brand. So I understand the consumer side also. That being said this new 500 pioneer is a blast. Very capable @ 500 cc range and open front diff. Plus the price point will offer a lot of people on a tighter budget the opportunity for a very nice sxs. Paddle shift is a whole new riding experience and a ton of fun. When I say we put them through there paces I mean we punished these for a few hours. The handled every obstacle with ease. Low gear is super low. 2nd feels like normal 1st gear. 3 gear stretches out and 4th and 5th fit right where they should. Not sure I used the brake much just down shifting. One thing that impressed me.... Running down a river bed (gravel) in 4th gear I stomped the accelerator and up shifted the back end broke loose. Plenty of room for two. And while considered the utility side of the market, you will have to remind your self that it's not a sport while your driving it. Otherwise you will forget. For the trail oriented this will be a perfect fit. Before you judge based on a spec sheet I highly recommend driving one. You will be surprised! Long story short my new pioneer 500 should arrive July. Im gonna try to post some pics and videos up soon!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
onlyhonda,
Welcome to the community, Not sure I have said that yet.
Great to read your first hand experience. I totally agree. I think I need to get my hands on one before a decision is made. It would be total fun to fly down the trails being able to control what gear, when to shift, and when to cut it loose. Ya, its not your bad A$$ super sport everyone dreams about. Its a trail bike putting a lesser hurting on your pocket then any other name brand SxS on the market... And.. Its a Honda... If that does not equal sales..... Then you need to step back and take a better look.

If you can get it uploaded... Love you see some vids.
Love to see more of you around.
C-ya on the trial...

O

onlyhonda

Oct 2, 2013
Finally got around to uploading some videos from the ride. Quality isn't super but long story short, that's what happens when you live in the sticks where high speed internet doesn't exist!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
WOW, you got it fairly fast there. I'm impressed. Its plenty fast for its purpose. It did seam like a blast to ride.
Thanks for posting.

O

Oregondunes89

Oct 17, 2013
how fast were you going?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That thing looks a lot more fun than I expected it to be.

O

onlyhonda

Oct 2, 2013
Oregondunes89 said:
how fast were you going?
the best we got out of the pioneer was 41 mph. It never hit the rev limiter, but more like it just plateaued out. That being said where we were riding it was hard to stretch it out. I will say this, the first two gears are so low, that it will get to top speed fairly quickly.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!