100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Should I bring my 500 in for its first service, or is it something I can do myself? Does it void the warranty if I do my own 1st servicing? The dealer is about 1.5 hrs away through windy mountain roads and the 1st service will cost me $80. Is it best, worth having them do it, or should I just do it myself and what do I need to do as far as servicing it goes? Thanks

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
It can be a little aggravating but definalty not hard to do. There is a good write up on this site.
Honda Pioneer 500 Oil Change Guide

My dealer said my warranty would be fine doing the services myself. He advised me write the date and miles/hours in my owners manual when i did them and I would be .

Reactions: 100Acre
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
do it yourself. This way you know it was done correctly.
If your OCD like me you'll check things 20xs

I stopped at Bojangles in Asheville on my way back from Tenn. Lots of motorcycles I noticed. Must be the hipster crowd

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
do it yourself. This way you know it was done correctly.
If your OCD like me you'll check things 20xs

I stopped at Bojangles in Asheville on my way back from Tenn. Lots of motorcycles I noticed. Must be the hipster crowd
Flannels and beards with no clue how to chop firewood or make a fire or.....

Reactions: idcwby
sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Should I bring my 500 in for its first service, or is it something I can do myself? Does it void the warranty if I do my own 1st servicing? The dealer is about 1.5 hrs away through windy mountain roads and the 1st service will cost me $80. Is it best, worth having them do it, or should I just do it myself and what do I need to do as far as servicing it goes? Thanks
80 bucks for a oil change and valve adjustment ..
That's cheap!!

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
80 bucks for a oil change and valve adjustment ..
That's cheap!!
I dont remember them saying a valve adjustment. is that difficult?

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
Not terribly difficult but enough of a pita that alot of us haven't done it. Most run fine and don't need adjusting, Honda just recommends that it be checked at first service.
I was quoted $300 for the first service including fluids and valve adjustment. Most Honda dealers don't give anything away anymore but I bought mine conditional that they include the first service. It's a good deal maker and rarely will they give up a sale for in house labour.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!