P500 Tire Question

M

MichiganAdam1

Sep 10, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Everyone
We recently bought a 2020 Honda pioneer 500, and want to get a new set of tires gaining a lil ground clearance and maintaining width around 50-53 inches. Well I saw a couple great set ups on the forum of guys running 26x9x12 on their oem fronts and 26x11x12 on the oem back wheels went into the Honda power sports center today in Michigan telling them I’d like to order some tires to do this set up. They were adamant that No way that will work and I’ll be rubbing at full turn. They said putting that size tire won’t happen without doing damage. I tried to explain to them I’ve seen guys on our forum otherwise and they kind of gave me the eye roll……ugggh I’m hoping for some input from you guys if I still could do it and just take business to someone else? Thanks so much for the input

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
There's plenty of guys running 26x10-12 on all 4 corners without issue. I don't see why your tire choice would be any different.

I'm sure more knowledgeable members will respond shortly but, I'd be taking my business elsewhere.

Mike

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Use the seach search search button up top and get away from the stealership and go on line aftermarket.

BTW Who was that Dealer And were they located?

M

MichiganAdam1

Sep 10, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
There's plenty of guys running 26x10-12 on all 4 corners without issue. I don't see why your tire choice would be any different.

I'm sure more knowledgeable members will respond shortly but, I'd be taking my business elsewhere.

Mike
Thanks for reply. Yeah that’s what I was thinking. I thought I’ve seen others on here saying they were running larger tires on oem wheels with no issues

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for reply. Yeah that’s what I was thinking. I thought I’ve seen others on here saying they were running larger tires on oem wheels with no issues

You're welcome!

I'd recommend buying some tires online and have a local tire shop mount them, or buy a set of tires pre-mounted on wheels and just put them on yourself. I recently purchased 27x9-14 tires and 14 inch wheels for my P520. No issues whatsoever and I gained 2 inches of ground clearance.

Mike

M

MichiganAdam1

Sep 10, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
You're welcome!

I'd recommend buying some tires online and have a local tire shop mount them, or buy a set of tires pre-mounted on wheels and just put them on yourself. I recently purchased 27x9-14 tires and 14 inch wheels for my P520. No issues whatsoever and I gained 2 inches of ground clearance.

Mike
Thanks, how much extra is the width on your 500 with that set up?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You can run 26x9 and 26x11's easy. I'd recommend aftermarket wheels or spacers. If you go up you need to go out or it's tippy as hell. I wouldn't recommend 14" wheels though, less sidewall adds to rougher ride. 5+2 offsets and 1" spacers on rear will give you an even track width.
PS Your dealer is a moron. You came to the right place.

M

MichiganAdam1

Sep 10, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
You can run 26x9 and 26x11's easy. I'd recommend aftermarket wheels or spacers. If you go up you need to go out or it's tippy as hell. I wouldn't recommend 14" wheels though, less sidewall adds to rougher ride. 5+2 offsets and 1" spacers on rear will give you an even track width.
PS Your dealer is a moron. You came to the right place.
Copy that thanks a lot!! And yes dealer is 😝

S

spartner

Oct 17, 2019
Spokane
Ownership

1. 500
Hey MichiganAdam1, what you describe seeing others have is exactly what I have had on my machine for 2 years now. Absolutely no problem and the extra 1" of ground clearance makes all the difference in the world. My new tires are also radials and have 2 more plys on the sides which make for a smoother ride and stronger tire. I love them.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
When I first got BH2's in those same sizes, I did get some slight rubbing on the driver side, with full turn to the left. That was with the tires over inflated from the tire shop and no load on the 500. It did not touch after going to to 7lbs on the tires, and never had any rubbing problems riding it. Our typical load is two people and do use full left wheel lock when turning around at the end of dirt roads. Sometime latter I added 1" spacer all around to gain a little more stability. As a byproduct, it opened that gap wider.

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
When mine was still pretty new I ran 27x9’s on the stock wheels with no rubbing at all!

C2856319 4BB7 4EE5 BA41 FB90FB6AC3A5

M

MichiganAdam1

Sep 10, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Hey MichiganAdam1, what you describe seeing others have is exactly what I have had on my machine for 2 years now. Absolutely no problem and the extra 1" of ground clearance makes all the difference in the world. My new tires are also radials and have 2 more plys on the sides which make for a smoother ride and stronger tire. I love them.
Perfect! Thanks so much. I’m doing it for sure, just will find another shop other than honda shop to put on!

M

MichiganAdam1

Sep 10, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
When I first got BH2's in those same sizes, I did get some slight rubbing on the driver side, with full turn to the left. That was with the tires over inflated from the tire shop and no load on the 500. It did not touch after going to to 7lbs on the tires, and never had any rubbing problems riding it. Our typical load is two people and do use full left wheel lock when turning around at the end of dirt roads. Sometime latter I added 1" spacer all around to gain a little more stability. As a byproduct, it opened that gap wider.
Copy thanks

M

MichiganAdam1

Sep 10, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500

Are u still staying around that 50inch width with that set up?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hay fellow Michigander @MichiganAdam1
You never said who that dealer was and location?

M

MichiganAdam1

Sep 10, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500

Are u still staying around that 50inch width with that set up
Hay fellow Michigander @MichiganAdam1
You never said who that dealer was and location?
Oh sorry located in Bay City. Honda Bay Powersports

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Everyone
We recently bought a 2020 Honda pioneer 500, and want to get a new set of tires gaining a lil ground clearance and maintaining width around 50-53 inches. Well I saw a couple great set ups on the forum of guys running 26x9x12 on their oem fronts and 26x11x12 on the oem back wheels went into the Honda power sports center today in Michigan telling them I’d like to order some tires to do this set up. They were adamant that No way that will work and I’ll be rubbing at full turn. They said putting that size tire won’t happen without doing damage. I tried to explain to them I’ve seen guys on our forum otherwise and they kind of gave me the eye roll……ugggh I’m hoping for some input from you guys if I still could do it and just take business to someone else? Thanks so much for the input
I am running that 26" configuration (Kenda Bearclaw HTR) with ITP steel wheels (better offset than stock) and 1.5" spacers on all four corners. Very stable and no rubbing. That's on a 520.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!