P500 New member intro and question(s)

B

bobr123

Oct 28, 2022
TX
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hi all-

New member. I've never owned an ATV or SxS. Looking forward to finally trying one!

I'm thinking about replacing my trusty old (51 years!) Melex golf cart:

Golf cart

Golf cart has been great, but it has limited range and it's (prepare to be surprised) not the best when the trail gets rough.

I made the small trailer behind the cart specifically to tow behind the cart and small vehicles.

If possible, I'd like to use this same trailer to carry a small ATV or SxS. I know that most SxSs wouldn't fit, but wondering if the Pioneer 520 would?

The distance between the frame rails is 49.5". I read that the 520 with factory steel wheels measures 50" wide. Is that measured at the wheels, or is the widest part of vehicle something on the body?

So question #1 is: What is the width, measured outside to outside of the 520's tires?

If I replace the golf cart with a 520 to allow for recreation use, that'd be great, but I would also need to use the 520 for chores around my property like in the photo above. I'm sure that the 520 could yank that trailer around like a boss, but if I understand things correctly, the 520 will have one big problem, which is the locked rear axle. I sometimes will drive the golf cart on our lawn, but don't think that would be wise for me to do with the 520 if it's going to tear up the grass.

Question #2 is: Is there any upgrade to allow the rear end of the 520 to (sometimes) function like an open differential?

Many thanks for any help.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy from Oklahoma and welcome to the club. Why would you want to get rid a perfectly good golf cart thats barely broken in? ;)
I have a thought on your requirements. You could buy some skinny "turf" tread tires, and that would help getting it on and off the trailer, and it would be a little easier on the grass. I am not aware of any fix for the rear end.

Last edited:
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I hate to write this but other option is a Kawasaki Mule, can lock and unlock rear diff and has a dump bed. Have one i use for farm chores its not fun for recreational riding and it has poor ground clearance for trail use. Makes a great farm chore machine though

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi all-

New member. I've never owned an ATV or SxS. Looking forward to finally trying one!

View attachment 360542

Golf cart has been great, but it has limited range and it's (prepare to be surprised) not the best when the trail gets rough.

I made the small trailer behind the cart specifically to tow behind the cart and small vehicles.

If possible, I'd like to use this same trailer to carry a small ATV or SxS. I know that most SxSs wouldn't fit, but wondering if the Pioneer 520 would?

The distance between the frame rails is 49.5". I read that the 520 with factory steel wheels measures 50" wide. Is that measured at the wheels, or is the widest part of vehicle something on the body?

So question #1 is: What is the width, measured outside to outside of the 520's tires?

If I replace the golf cart with a 520 to allow for recreation use, that'd be great, but I would also need to use the 520 for chores around my property like in the photo above. I'm sure that the 520 could yank that trailer around like a boss, but if I understand things correctly, the 520 will have one big problem, which is the locked rear axle. I sometimes will drive the golf cart on our lawn, but don't think that would be wise for me to do with the 520 if it's going to tear up the grass.

Question #2 is: Is there any upgrade to allow the rear end of the 520 to (sometimes) function like an open differential?

welcome from Ohio

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi all-

View attachment 360542

First welcome to the club! The P1 is the only unit with turf mode. Just keep your golf cart for yard work or make really wide turns in the P520 in the yard.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Hi all-

View attachment 360542

The only good answer is that there are other 50" machines that have turf mode and will not tear up lawn . The 500/520 WILL . Nothing is going to be as easy to get along with as your Melex . As for the half inch . I'm betting it won't fit but not sure . You should go to a dealer that has one and measure it yourself . Not a good idea to depend on someones answer here to make your mind up on a 10k purchase .

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
Haha first welcome. Now it's time to go a Little country. The 500/520 will take you out of the shire and help you begin your adventure. It will get you there and back it's up to you. Step out and join the adventure will join you as a member of the company!

B

bobr123

Oct 28, 2022
TX
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks a lot for all of the replies.

Good idea: skinny turf tires are a good idea that might help on both issues.

I'll keep an eye on inventory at local dealer to see if I can find a 520 to measure myself.

Yeah, I'll probably also hang onto golf cart, but was planning to mothball in a corner of a barn (before I go the expense of replacing the 6yo batteries which are pretty spendy these days) if I buy a SxS.

I really would like to have the:

1. turf mode, and
2. low range, and
3. extra room

... of the P1000!

But if I go that route, I'll need to make/buy a new trailer, plus the much higher entry price, so I'll probably be 2X+ more $$$ than the price of a 520. I'm not sure if I've been nice enough lately to qualify for a tool/toy that costs the same as the car my wife's currently driving! 😍

If I could ask another question: I've always had the opinion that any truck/SUV without a low range was not fit for anything but mild trail driving. I like that the 520 has a 5spd instead of the 3spd like the 700. I read somewhere that 1st gear in the 520 is "very low". Is it sufficiently low to make up for the lack of a low range? FWIW, my past 4x4ing adventures were in Jeeps or compact 4x4 pickups on rough timber/mining/FSR trails, some of which were steep and/or rocky enough to require first gear in low range. Wondering if 520cc + 400lb payload (including riders) + high elevation (Rocky mtns) + steep and/or rocky trails might leave me wanting either more gear or more motor?

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

My thoughts on you last question.
  • You will always wish for a little more motor, it doesn't matter what machine you buy.
  • Low is very low... I had mine full of 300 pounds of cement bags in the bed and a 250 pound utility trailer with another 400 pounds of cement in it. For kicks and giggles, I rode the steep trails behind my residence. I used 1st gear for compression braking and for climbing out of the ravine... It still amazes me what the P500/520 will do. (my wife and I were both in the machine too, so add another 360 pounds plus more than 100 pounds of accessories I have added over the last year)
  • 1st is bypassed for all my driving, its almost to low to be useful for normal riding. (even with larger tires)
  • My wife and I were in Wyoming at elevation and really didn't notice any ill effects. we were in higher elevations from10,500-12,500' above sea level.
As to some of your other questions:
  • My P520 with wheels/tires is somewhere around 55" wide. My trailer is a 5x8' utility trailer from TSC. I have room on each side to load the UTV on the trailer buy even with inches to spare, its a tight fit. If your inside dimensions are truly 49.5" wide, it will be an issue with the stock set up and likely be an issue with larger/wider tires or spacers.
  • The turf is going to be an issue unless you plan on driving straight on your grass and never turn sharp.
  • Size matters, either you have to be happy with the smaller size and accept the lack of room on the inside or pony up for the larger 1000 and get everything you want with the exception of the price and the requirement of a larger trailer.
In the end, the P500/520s are a great little machine, but they are not for everyone. Life is full of compromises, so find the best compromise you are willing to accept.

Rob

B

bobr123

Oct 28, 2022
TX
Ownership

1. Other Brand
  • Low is very low... I had mine full of 300 pounds of cement bags in the bed and a 250 pound utility trailer with another 400 pounds of cement in it. For kicks and giggles, I rode the steep trails behind my residence. I used 1st gear for compression braking and for climbing out of the ravine... It still amazes me what the P500/520 will do. (my wife and I were both in the machine too, so add another 360 pounds plus more than 100 pounds of accessories I have added over the last year)
  • 1st is bypassed for all my driving, its almost to low to be useful for normal riding. (even with larger tires)

Great. That is just what I wanted to hear.

With that, the 520 remains near or at the top of my Wish List.

Thanks Rob!

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Am I missing somthing?
I get the lack of a rear diff will chew up the lawn in a tight turn, but I had my p500 in the yard picking up leaves yesterday (this may be fake news as I do not have a picture).
I don't turn at full lock and I don't have any issues.

So either we have guys that have never driven a p500 on the lawn or I'm 'that' guy down the street that mowes dandelions and crab grass and calls it a lawn.
@Mudder and @tigger what say you?
Is the p500/p520 ok for yard work (As long as you use your head)?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi,

My thoughts on you last question.
  • You will always wish for a little more motor, it doesn't matter what machine you buy.
  • My wife and I were in Wyoming at elevation and really didn't notice any ill effects. we were in higher elevations from10,500-12,500' above sea level.
As to some of your other questions:
  • My P520 with wheels/tires is somewhere around 55" wide. My trailer is a 5x8' utility trailer from TSC. I have room on each side to load the UTV on the trailer buy even with inches to spare, its a tight fit. If your inside dimensions are truly 49.5" wide, it will be an issue with the stock set up and likely be an issue with larger/wider tires or spacers.
  • The turf is going to be an issue unless you plan on driving straight on your grass and never turn sharp.
  • Size matters, either you have to be happy with the smaller size and accept the lack of room on the inside or pony up for the larger 1000 and get everything you want with the exception of the price and the requirement of a larger trailer.
In the end, the P500/520s are a great little machine, but they are not for everyone. Life is full of compromises, so find the best compromise you are willing to accept.

Rob
Your wife weighs 360 lbs? HA! Just being a DA! If the P5's would have had a factory bed in 16 that's what we would have, I went with the P1, love everything about it other than the factory recalls. The low and high range transmission is great and the turf mode in either is a great plus. But wide turns are your friend if you don't have turf mode.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is the p500/p520 ok for yard work (As long as you use your head)?
I say thats a negative If u have to turn even slow. Jacked up my lawn with my old P5 making turns slow and wide, I was being very careful. Now If u go straight NP. I guess it all depends on how nice you want your yard and maybe how hard your soil is.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I say thats a negative If u have to turn even slow. Jacked up my lawn with my old P5 making turns slow and wide, I was being very careful. Now If u go straight NP. I guess it all depends on how nice you want your yard and maybe how hard your soil is.
You're all messed up, it's called lawn aeration.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!