Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
do it and keep record of what yo
Haven't had it done yet ..I was more concerned about checking the valves and documentation for the extended warranty?
Under maintenance schedule, the owner's manual says the following for Inspect Valve Clearance: "Inspect valve clearance as needed, if engine is noisy." (Page 128-129).

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Under maintenance schedule, the owner's manual says the following for Inspect Valve Clearance: "Inspect valve clearance as needed, if engine is noisy." (Page 128-129).
I have physically checked about a dozen machines and only one was out of spec and you could definitely hear it. Mine is now starting to get noisy at 4000+ miles and will be getting adjusted in the next couple weeks.

The only thing that bothers me is the half of the ones I checked are all within tolerance but 2 intakes are usually way apart. The intake spec is .16mm +-.03 and I have found one is at the lower threshold (.13mm), 2 around .16mm and one is at .19mm. Although these are technically all within spec, it messes up the valve timing and most certainly robs a few HP. I have found this on several machines with minimal mileage on them and they were all quiet and they didn't want to pay for the re-shim that is necessary to adjust the intakes so we left them all as they were.

The one that I did re-shim, I got them all to .15mm and it ran quiet, smooth and strong. I hope mine has similar results.

Z

Zbugsii

Feb 24, 2017
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was about $330.... My dealer recommended they do it so that it was documented with Honda, should there ever be an issue with warranty it shows the dealer performed the first service... Just a thought.

Huntndogs

Huntndogs

Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2021
San Diego, Ca.
Ownership

1. Talon R

“You don’t have to use the dealer for repairs or maintenance to keep your warranty in effect. In fact, it’s illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs done by someone else. That said, the dealer or manufacturer can make you use select repair facilities if the work is done for free under the warranty.“

Reactions: PaulF
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Mine was about $330.... My dealer recommended they do it so that it was documented with Honda, should there ever be an issue with warranty it shows the dealer performed the first service... Just a thought.
Your dealer recommended they do it to generate revenue.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!