First ride impressions

H

Herkloader1

Nov 7, 2022
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got a good Sunset ride up in the mountains of AZ tonight on the new Talon X4.
It is night and day from my Pioneer 1000-5.
Only Suprise was how hot it got in the Driver/Passenger areas.
You could search a steak it felt like.
Covered in sweat after a short 39 mile ride.
Probably would not of bought it had I known it was gonna roast the occupants .
It is worse then my Pioneer ever was.
So now I will be heat proofing the tunnel area as soon as I can figure out how to do it.
Also Have to get used to the new lower clearance. Drug a couple of rocks that I went over all summer without issue in my Pioneer.
I will research how big a tire I can put on it without causing issues. That will hopefully bring the clearance back up.
I will also have to get used to the longer wheelbase. Makes a difference going over humps.Also even though it is narrower I will have to watch my tight narrow turns on the inside.
Absolutely loved the Fox Live suspension.
Washboard roads and rocks are easily handled without jarring the passengers.
Rode it in all modes except launch mode tonight. Really did not need to use the 4x4 mode,but did just to try it out.
All worked great. Even played around with the hill holding mode. I am gonna like that one.
She holds the trail and corners great.
So would I buy another?
If I can figure out how to turn off
The Honda Easy Bake oveN mode.
Then the answer would be a rousing yes.
If I cannot cool it down enough to make it comfortable then it will not be any fun ,then it would be no

scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
So now I will be heat proofing the tunnel area as soon as I can figure out how to do it.
Also Have to get used to the new lower clearance. Drug a couple of rocks that I went over all summer without issue in my Pioneer.
I will research how big a tire I can put on it without causing issues. That will hopefully bring the clearance back up.
I will also have to get used to the longer wheelbase. Makes a difference going over humps.Also even though it is narrower I will have to watch my tight narrow turns on the inside.
Rode it in all modes except launch mode tonight. Really did not need to use the 4x4 mode,but did just to try it out.
All worked great. Even played around with the hill holding mode. I am gonna like that one.
So would I buy another?
If I cannot cool it down enough to make it comfortable then it will not be any fun ,then it would be no

View attachment 387386
Check out @TerryH videos on YouTube. He has a couple on how to cool these hot boxes down. Heat shields like @Remington wrote about, Jeep shifter boot, etc. I have done those with the super ATV glass windshield with vents, Super ATV plexi rear window and mine doesn't get unbearable. I haven't done the lower doors yet, but might try to help the dust.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The link in my sig will take you to some basic Talon information, including brackets that will hold your doors open 3" or 4", they'll make a huge difference in cab heat. I don't recommend door lowers, that will make the heat worse.

New Talon Owners - First Things to Know and Check is also a stickie in the General Talon 1000 Discussion forum. There's a link for the DEI heat control kit there. It doesn't stop all heat but it will help.

01Canes

Mar 12, 2023
North Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Now that it's been pushing 90 here lately, I can definitely feel the heat. I think I will be doing the jeep shift boot soon. No way would I do lower doors, it wasn't even an issue when it was 20F outside honestly, it felt kind of nice lol.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
So would I buy another?

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Never had excessive heat in mine , I have the “satv flip windshield “ and take the lower doors off in summer. A lot cooler than the other guys with rzr’s can-am’s and krx’s. As far clearance I’ve got 30 inch on mine and clear easily over rocks/logs and humps where my pioneer and terex buddies drag. My cousin and nephew have 35’s on there rzr pro and can- am and they are in another league with clearance but I go most everywhere they do. Did you have pics? That’s a big deal on here.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
H

Herkloader1

Nov 7, 2022
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never had excessive heat in mine , I have the “satv flip windshield “ and take the lower doors off in summer. A lot cooler than the other guys with rzr’s can-am’s and krx’s. As far clearance I’ve got 30 inch on mine and clear easily over rocks/logs and humps where my pioneer and terex buddies drag. My cousin and nephew have 35’s on there rzr pro and can- am and they are in another league with clearance but I go most everywhere they do. Did you have pics? That’s a big deal on here.
Is yours a 2 or 4 seater?
Mine is a 4 seater.
I will be posting some mud bogging in the mountains before to long.
We have only been doing quick rides due to our annual northern migration for first summer.

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Is yours a 2 or 4 seater?
Mine is a 4 seater.
I will be posting some mud bogging in the mountains before to long.
We have only been doing quick rides due to our annual northern migration for first summer.
21 x4

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!