Bearskinner

Apr 3, 2023
N. Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy

3. Talon R LV

4. w/Turbo
I know DOT tires, as well as passenger or light truck tires weigh more than stock. How much does larger and heavier tires effect the FEEL from those that have changed them?
not incredibly large, about 29-30” tires.
Any feedback will be appreciated

Reactions: lowranger and ChadD
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Feel - for an increase to 30", it won't be a lot IMO. I ride at extreme altitudes and am reasonably happy with the 30" performance. At your lower elevations, you have a lot more HP than I can hope for. 😥 But I'm usually solo, so I'm not comparing mine to others'. I adapt to whatever the machine has available.

I'm running BFG K02's, great mileage but a bit harsh because they're meant to be mounted on a 6k lb. truck (duh :rolleyes:). I'm thinking about trying the KM3 OHV specific tire next time but they're a LOT more expensive. :oops:

U picks yer poison - riding style will be a huge factor.

Bearskinner

Bearskinner

Apr 3, 2023
N. Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy

3. Talon R LV

4. w/Turbo
I had a set of Tusk Terrabites on the little Rhino (gone now) but they were still relatively small. My buddy’s new (4 days old) Honda Club cab, as big as it is only has 27’s I think. They just look small! If I’m running DIT’s I’ll be almost exclusively on pavement, so I won’t be throttling it hard, but will be cruising at 45-60 speeds regularly.
There’s not much out here In N. Idaho, unless you drive into Sandpoint or Coeur D’Alene. Unfortunately the yearly sticker and license plate fee is up to $30. Every 2 years.

• Haha
Reactions: ChadD and JenElio
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Unfortunately the yearly sticker and license plate fee is up to $30. Every 2 years.
come live here and youll think someone screwed up in your state and you got away with highway robbery! 😂

As for DOT Ive been running 30’s LT/MT’s for the last 4 years and im happy on road and off. There a bit heavier but it all depends on what your riding style is as well. Not much drop in power. But where u do loose it in Honda’s is when u get above 30’s in all tire types. Then yoy looking at tunes or even a gear reduction. As @CID said
Pick your poison

01Canes

Mar 12, 2023
North Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'm in the same dilemma as the OP (and also in North Idaho). I'm a 5-10 mile drive on asphalt before I hit dirt roads but also drive it I to town often.

Been considering LT 31x10.50r15, or 30x10x15 but I don't want to wear em out by summertime 😅

Reactions: ChadD
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had a set of Tusk Terrabites on the little Rhino (gone now) but they were still relatively small. My buddy’s new (4 days old) Honda Club cab, as big as it is only has 27’s I think. They just look small! If I’m running DIT’s I’ll be almost exclusively on pavement, so I won’t be throttling it hard, but will be cruising at 45-60 speeds regularly.
There’s not much out here In N. Idaho, unless you drive into Sandpoint or Coeur D’Alene. Unfortunately the yearly sticker and license plate fee is up to $30. Every 2 years.
Any tire will work for pavement, the more rubber on the road, the longer they'll last (unlike a wide open pattern like a mud tire). Terrabites are a great, long wearing tire but some individual tires don't play well with beadlocks because of inconsistent bead witdths; with non beadlocks, they're hard to beat for value.

For cruising pavement, you might be happy with 32's, maybe. The thing about tires, they're temporary; if you don't like 32's get 30's next time. There are a lot of Talons on 32's.

For pavement, you won't feel the harshness of a LT tire like I do in the dirt/rocks and they'll last 'forever'. Even an inexpensive Walmart M&S tire will last a long time.

We can't plate here, for any amount of money, OHV's aren't street legal. 😥

Bearskinner

Bearskinner

Apr 3, 2023
N. Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy

3. Talon R LV

4. w/Turbo
I really love the performance of the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracks on my pickup. They ride good on pavement, and work great in snow and ice. 30x10.50x15 or somewhere in that range would be great.
Having these on separate wheels, as well as sand paddles, for quick change outs.
I have a tire machine in the shop, but on and off, all the time isn’t good either.
Use the stickers for Moab or trailering somewhere, DOT’s for driving from the ranch, and fire roads, paddles for Glamis.
At least no problem keeping a mounted spare handy.

BigEarlX4

BigEarlX4

Jul 23, 2020
St. Helen, MI
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
I have 31x10.50x15 Thunderer Trac MT truck tires on my factory wheels. I am very impressed with them so far. As far as power loss, it was in a good way. The Talon on stock 28's, gives you a very aggressive jerky throttle. Going to 31's, it not jerky anymore and is more controlled and smooth. Besides the throttle, I cant really notice any difference. GPS shows the speedo at about 2 mile an hour off now.

20230329 195335 1

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm running 30" Tensor Regulators, 8-ply DOT on STI HD beadlock wheels. This is a significantly heavier than factory tire/wheel combination. My Talon is tagged street-legal here in Oklahoma. Honestly, I can't say that I've noticed any real difference on the street. I've undoubtedly lost some power with this package, but I'm probably rather tame in my driving manner anyway, so this is of little consequence. I would say that they do feel more planted, as I'd expect from a street legal tire on pavement versus a more off-road aggressive UTV tire. But I haven't really had a chance to wring them out in the dirt/rocks yet.

Here's a couple of pics, unmounted and mounted.

IMG 1940

IMG 2085

Steve

Bearskinner

Bearskinner

Apr 3, 2023
N. Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy

3. Talon R LV

4. w/Turbo
That’s some good looking tread on those tires, and 30’s fit it well.

Reactions: stellarpod

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!