PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for all of the feedback.
BTW, I have two trailers that are very capable of towing my Talon.
Still want to know if anyone has flat towed their Talon?
Like I said on the other forum, a couple miles (maybe even 5) under 30mph probably won't hurt the machine but just remember...
  • The manual specifically says not to for a reason.
  • Pavement and corners kill the rear inner CV joints, especially with higher traction tires.
  • Stock tires are s*** on pavement, DOT approved tires will do better.
  • You must have working tail/brake lights.
  • Some states require anything towed over 1500 lbs must have brakes tied to the tow vehicle.
  • Some states require any towed vehicles (regardless of weight) to have brakes tied to the tow vehicle.
Not sure your reasoning but I have a toy hauler and have run into the need to get my machine to a trailhead 10-15 miles from camp. I have pondered and pondered this dilemma but did not resort to flat towing and just made mine street legal and drive to the trailhead instead. Someday, this will come back to bite me :)

I think I will build something like this and throw it in the bed when I know I will be needing it...

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe if the machine was running you could remove some risk (oil moving in the tranny), but why even consider it?

Just toasting one component in the drive line will make renting a trailer, or getting an SD license and driving it on the highway look silly cheap.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Maybe if the machine was running you could remove some risk (oil moving in the tranny), but why even consider it?

Just toasting one component in the drive line will make renting a trailer, or getting an SD license and driving it on the highway look silly cheap.
This right here. You’d have to remove drivelines to do it somewhat safely on the machine. Don’t think things would get proper lubrication without.
We’ve towed stuff out of the woods even fairly long distances but was always just to get back to camp, I wouldn’t tow flat just because. Most cars are same way now.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I agree with @CumminsPusher on the lack of lubrication as a possibility and potential damage to the driveline due to the locked read axle.
Other than that I am uncertain of any other reasons and maybe someone who does will chime in and say what they are and not just post bad idea don't do it
I often times find people with little to no experience or even the fear of the unknown say things are not a good idea and shouldn't be done
With that being said I am certain that with enough prep work and forethought it is entirely possible and safe to boot.
The simple truth is the amount of work to flat tow may or may not be worth it to you, to me or anyone else.
It's your machine and as such it is your decision.
Just maintain safety for you and the public around you no matter how you proceed.
Good luck.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I agree with @CumminsPusher on the lack of lubrication as a possibility and potential damage to the driveline due to the locked read axle.
Other than that I am uncertain of any other reasons and maybe someone who does will chime in and say what they are and not just post bad idea don't do it
I often times find people with little to no experience or even the fear of the unknown say things are not a good idea and shouldn't be done
With that being said I am certain that with enough prep work and forethought it is entirely possible and safe to boot.
The simple truth is the amount of work to flat tow may or may not be worth it to you, not me or anyone else.
It's your machine and as such it is your decision.
Just maintain safety for you and the public around you no matter how you proceed.
Good luck.
Well said, G21U. I've done one-off projects my whole life that worked well for me but made no sense to others.

Maybe if the OP told us why he wanted to do this, we could come up with better feedback.

Last edited:
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well said, G21U. I've done one-off projects my whole life that worked well for me but made no sense to others.

Maybe if the OP told us why he wanted to do this, we could come up with better feedback.
I too have done weird or as some might say foolish projects and have heard a fair amount of feedback both good and bad.
My typical response is my project my issues, not yours to worry over.

F

FOG

Dec 19, 2021
Orange County
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. w/Turbo
Like I said on the other forum, a couple miles (maybe even 5) under 30mph probably won't hurt the machine but just remember...
  • The manual specifically says not to for a reason.
  • Pavement and corners kill the rear inner CV joints, especially with higher traction tires.
  • Stock tires are s*** on pavement, DOT approved tires will do better.
  • You must have working tail/brake lights.
  • Some states require anything towed over 1500 lbs must have brakes tied to the tow vehicle.
  • Some states require any towed vehicles (regardless of weight) to have brakes tied to the tow vehicle.
Not sure your reasoning but I have a toy hauler and have run into the need to get my machine to a trailhead 10-15 miles from camp. I have pondered and pondered this dilemma but did not resort to flat towing and just made mine street legal and drive to the trailhead instead. Someday, this will come back to bite me :)

I think I will build something like this and throw it in the bed when I know I will be needing it...

My reason is as Paul stated above. I came up with 4 ways to get my Talon to the trail head when I’m not camped with direct access.
1. Drive it there. I’m street legal licensed in AZ, but some other states don’t recognize it for a UTV.
2. Flat tow it.
3. A rack for my truck that I would have to partially assemble/disassemble because I tow a 40 foot 5th wheel toy hauler.
4. A trailer that I would have to partially assemble/disassemble and stored in or under the toy hauler or truck bed.
The easiest, other than driving it there is to flat tow it.

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Thanks for all of the feedback.
BTW, I have two trailers that are very capable of towing my Talon.
Still want to know if anyone has flat towed their Talon?
IMG 6327

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just had a flashback - this same question was asked a year ago (?) about towing a Pioneer 1000 ~5 miles. After learning why, it was decided that no damage would happen if he did. I'd never be able to find that thread though. The P1K and Talon have somewhat similar drivelines. YMMV

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I just had a flashback - this same question was asked a year ago (?) about towing a Pioneer 1000 ~5 miles. After learning why, it was decided that no damage would happen if he did. I'd never be able to find that thread though. The P1K and Talon have somewhat similar drivelines. YMMV
Totally different towing it back 10+ miles on the trail vs towing 70mph behind a truck with no driver.

I dont think lubrication is a concern. The main gears in the sub trans will throw it around plenty enough. It splash oiled anyways.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!