P500 For those that have added a bus bar under the hood.

M

MarkAlan

Dec 10, 2019
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 500
When you added a bus bar did you bring a plus 12 and ground from the battery or did you just bring a plus 12 and tie a negative to the frame?

I have one on order, and would like to use it to tie in lights, power steering and a volt meter etc. I would like to tie a winch to the hot power, and ground feed to the bus bar wen the time comes. I there a better way of doing this?

D

Duckhunt

You can go to frame as long you don't exceed the factory B- to Frame ground strap capacity. You could always run a second strap/cable from battery to frame near the battery then all your "front" accessories (and bus bar) can safely ground to frame. But at that point might just be easier to run another wire (neg) with your positive lead up front to your winch and/or bus bar.

For my winch & power steering I have both pos & neg run to battery. All other smaller accessories go to frame.

Reactions: Mudder
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
With the frame having a joint under your feet, I would run the negative back to the battery.
At a minimum, run the negative back to the rear frame (and your almost back to the battery).

PJ1

PJ1

FIREBALL P-500
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2020
Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 500
My dealer installed winch had two wires to the battery. I installed bus bar under hood and lifted the winch leads for the bus bar. Then ran short cables back to the winch solenoid.

Reactions: KYhillbilly
S

spartner

Oct 17, 2019
Spokane
Ownership

1. 500
I ran two cables, one positive and one negative, to my winch. The Positive cable then goes from the wench to a buss bar under the hood to power everything else I add. I also have a second buss bar connected to the ignition power on attachment. All of the accessories I have added (LEDs, wench switch, GMRS radio, helmit defroster, etc) are all powered on through seperate relays activated from the ignition on buss bar that actually supply the power from the Battery buss bar to the accessory. Nothing can accidentally be left on and drain my battery. I've had it this way for a year and a half and had no issues.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just a positive cable here. 4 yrs and no issues. Running winch off it. Using Honda sub harness with 4 power leads for radio, horn and work light.

Reactions: Smitty335
M

MarkAlan

Dec 10, 2019
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 500
I ended up doing a heavy power wire from the battery, and a heavy ground wire from the rear frame to under the hood. The hot went to a solenoid, and the other side went to a Blue Sea fuse box. I switched the solenoid with a key on wire from the honda harness. I connected my power steering to switched side of the solenoid, and lights to the fuse box. The fuse box has connection points remaining for additional upgrades.

M

MarkAlan

Dec 10, 2019
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 500
I can see that. I have enough slack that if needed I could do the same. But so far I have not need to do it, and I placed the ground in the same location that Honda uses.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!