BOX1

Front diff chatter when in 2wd

CrosbyTalon

CrosbyTalon

Oct 7, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am having an issue with a noise in the front end when my Talon is in 2wd. Sounds like gear chatter of sorts? Hit the I4wd button and it is instantly gone. Seems like when not under load the front diff is gears making noise? Mostly noticeable when driving on tar on a smooth straight area.
Machine has 580 miles

Reactions: Plumber32
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I am having an issue with a noise in the front end when my Talon is in 2wd. Sounds like gear chatter of sorts? Hit the I4wd button and it is instantly gone. Seems like when not under load the front diff is gears making noise? Mostly noticeable when driving on tar on a smooth straight area.
Machine has 580 miles
I want to say it's the front prop shaft. I know a few others have posted on here about the same sound before. I don't have a Talon, but from what I understand there is a bit of slack until 4WD is selected and then it all tightens up as the coupler engages the diff (hence the reason the sound goes away when in i4WD). I'll see if I can find the other thread and drop a link for you.

Reactions: Redmoon and CID
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Here is the other thread I was thinking of:

Reactions: CID
CrosbyTalon

CrosbyTalon

Oct 7, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here is the other thread I was thinking of:

Bingo! That is what I have going on. Thanks for the help! Now off to the dealer for warranty. 😕

• Sad
Reactions: Adam490 and CID
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is another thread with HondaBob, PaulF and others discussing front driveshaft woes on the Talon. Sounds like they are welding caps in place on new driveshaft units to prevent more yoke/clip failures. I'd read that thread to see what to check and make sure that isn't your issue.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This thread...

Reactions: CID
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Yup get it spot welded. I'm on my 4th drive shaft and will get it welded next week before my dealer installs it. They can fail in less then 3,000 miles and some under 400 miles. This one was done in the frame. The front one is more difficult to do in the frame but a highly skilled welder can do it.

20210519 102428 resized

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!