Knocking or clicking noise when I back up

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have about 4,200 miles on my Talon now. I notice a slight clunking noise when I back up and turn the steering wheel. Its not there when I back straight up. My first thought is I may have a bad CV joint in one of the axles. But any useful input would be apparated. My machine is subject to hard steep, rocky trails, so things wear accordingly. If anyone has changed rear axels, I'd be interested in what mileage that was done. Thanks!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had to replace the inner, left rear CV joint at 8157 miles. I thought it was the right side but the left had been spitting grease so I did that one first and it was the problem. Apparently, I cut the boot somewhere (duh :rolleyes:).

@hondabob has replaced 'some' clicking CV's but has decided that as long as they quit clicking when they warm up, he'll ride them a bit longer, if I remember correctly.

I posted a few how to photos in the What did You do to your Talon today thread, post #66.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have about 4,200 miles on my Talon now. I notice a slight clunking noise when I back up and turn the steering wheel. Its not there when I back straight up. My first thought is I may have a bad CV joint in one of the axles. But any useful input would be apparated. My machine is subject to hard steep, rocky trails, so things wear accordingly. If anyone has changed rear axels, I'd be interested in what mileage that was done. Thanks!
Do you have a Torq Locker installed in the front? My front diff "pops" occasionally when backing & turning, it's the TL engaging then releasing, I really need to pull it apart and see if the springs are weak or broken.....winter project maybe

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just replace both axles. SATV are $169.00 each. Stock are $180 each. Just for the aggravation of doing all the work to replace the CV joint its worth it to me to spend a few more bucks.
Also I do not have a Torq Locker in the front.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just replace both axles. SATV are $169.00 each. Stock are $180 each. Just for the aggravation of doing all the work to replace the CV joint its worth it to me to spend a few more bucks.
Also I do not have a Torq Locker in the front.
fwiw: The stock Talon axles have a reputation for being the best available.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
fwiw: The stock Talon axles have a reputation for being the best available.
what CID said, lots of complaints of the superatv rhino axles clicking in a couple hundred miles - amazing marketing for china made axles

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks again for the input. I did have some others tell me as well that the SATV were not great. I'll get a couple of stock ones on order.

Reactions: Smitty335
prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello Yes I am on an R but it is ride height and you need to think about limit straps. There is a max Angle that you should stay between. Everytime you get bucked it puts too much angle on the CV and that is what will make them click. The stock axles will go for miles after you start hearing the click. Just run it till it changes tone. Then you want to look at them. I support Hondabob. Just warm then up first and run them. I have over 5000 on clickers and still running. about 9500 total. I have changed the grease to look at them.

Reactions: Smitty335 and 906UP

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!