Clunking noise when cranked

C

Cwilds

Dec 26, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I recently got stuck in a deep mud hole, the talon stayed running for about 4 to 5 mins then shut off, im sure it was water seeping into electrical plug in's but that's not the big problem, bc since I got it out mud hole and everything dried it cranks right up no problem. The big problem I believe is either the sub trans"again" or the transmission itself.....yes I was kinda hard on transmission while I was stuck trying to keep it running and get it to go In gear without shutting off.......my question is tho, when it cranks now it's showing park on the dash but is clanking and rattling really bad, could this be my sub again or reg transmission? Thanks in advance

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sounds like you’ve done sub trans damage if you were banging between R and H/L when stuck. 😢

You can correct your title spelling error by editing your post (in the bottom left of your post ‘Edit’). I don’t know what ‘crunk’ is.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Man, I thought this was going to be a post about a funny noise you only hear when wasted...

C

Cwilds

Dec 26, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sounds like you’ve done sub trans damage if you were banging between R and H/L when stuck. 😢

You can correct your title spelling error by editing your post (in the bottom left of your post ‘Edit’). I don’t know what ‘crunk’ is.
Is there a way to tell if it is the sub without pulling it and looking at gears......i know last time it was the sub it done the grinding only when i tried putting it in low, now it does it when i "crank" it and in park

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Is there a way to tell if it is the sub without pulling it and looking at gears......i know last time it was the sub it done the grinding only when i tried putting it in low, now it does it when i "crank" it and in park
I am going to ask 3 questions so please give 3 distinct separate answers...

1. So the noise only happens when cranking the engine over?
  2. What happens after the engine starts, does the noise go away?
  3. Does it go into R, H and L and move?

C

Cwilds

Dec 26, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am going to ask 3 questions so please give 3 distinct separate answers...

1. So the noise only happens when cranking the engine over?
  2. What happens after the engine starts, does the noise go away?
  3. Does it go into R, H and L and
1. It has 1 or 2 rattles while cranking
2. While engine is running sounds like little monkeys with pipe wrench inside beating on everything
3. No it will not go in gear when trying to shift into R it shuts off, when started in N and try to go in H it shuts off, when trying to crank it in H by holding brake it jerks foward and will not run, like its hung in gear, but dash showing P

Reactions: Blownzuki
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
2. While engine is running sounds like little monkeys with pipe wrench inside beating on everything
3. No it will not go in gear when trying to shift into R it shuts off, when started in N and try to go in H it shuts off, when trying to crank it in H by holding brake it jerks foward and will not run, like its hung in gear, but dash showing P
The Talon DCT is always "in gear", it as a manual transmission without a neutral position. The Sub-Trans does have a neutral position. What determined if the machine moves when in R, H or L is the clutch.

This sounds more like the clutch may have failed and is bound up and wont release.

Have you been able to determine if the "little monkeys" are in the front of the engine or the rear?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Smoked 1-3-5 clutch.

you now know why the emergency recovery bolt that locks it into 2nd gear so you can drive home using the other clutch.

C

Cwilds

Dec 26, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The Talon DCT is always "in gear", it as a manual transmission without a neutral position. The Sub-Trans does have a neutral position. What determined if the machine moves when in R, H or L is the clutch.

This sounds more like the clutch may have failed and is bound up and wont release.

Have you been able to determine if the "little monkeys" are in the front of the engine or the rear?

Sounds like the front but not sure bc its so loud

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
So if i use the recovery bolt this would narrow it down to the clutch's
If it starts with the recovery bolt and drives in low, yes.

if there’s random crap circulating in the transmission you might not want to do it very long.

C

Cwilds

Dec 26, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If it starts with the recovery bolt and drives in low, yes.

if there’s random crap circulating in the transmission you might not want to do it very long.
So tried the recovery bolt today, would start still with rattling, tried to do the manual shifting with tool and it shuts off, tried this several times.......now when I turn ignition switch on shift motor is trying to shift, after a few times of motor trying to shift it stops.... then try to start it all it does is click like it's locked down.....going to try and pull clutches tomorrow and see if there is a problem there to start with😫😫😫

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
So tried the recovery bolt today, would start still with rattling, tried to do the manual shifting with tool and it shuts off, tried this several times.......now when I turn ignition switch on shift motor is trying to shift, after a few times of motor trying to shift it stops.... then try to start it all it does is click like it's locked down.....going to try and pull clutches tomorrow and see if there is a problem there to start with😫😫😫
Assuming you drained oil looking for chunks?

Reactions: Blownzuki
C

Cwilds

Dec 26, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not yet, was playing on that tom also.

Assuming you drained oil looking for chunks?
I'm really hoping it is just the clutches but the way this thing sounded when it would run idk if the clutches would sound that bad? And also never got the clutch light on the dash, or any blinking gear on the dash.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!