Talon Fuel odor, tank vent

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Wife complains of fuel odor. After looking at the service manual it shows and evap canister installed on ac models of which I am not sure if I have one. If the canister system is installed it vents back into the intake system and should not vent to outside. Can someone clarify if we have the canister system or not and exactly what is an ac model? Service manual is not clear to me and it involves 49 states and CA.

If we have just a vent to atmosphere where is the vent termination?

Also when filling the tank is the fuel tank capacity measured with or without the airspace in the tank top that can be overcome by continued filling of the tank?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Only Kalafornia models (CA) have the evap system. If you had this. Yes, it would vent back into itself.

Without. Its vented into the frame under the seat. I highley recomend relocating it to a higher spot.

If you do relocate. Its VERY important its ran in a way it can gravity feed / drain back into the tank or it will push out as it condensate.

As for filling the tank. It should have some air space. Generally filling up to the neck of the white filler pipe is considered "full". If you overfill it will/could push out the vent.

I overfill almost every time. Sometimes setting parking at a angle just for this reason. My vent is behind the seat about shoulder level.

Last edited:
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Only Kalafornia models (CA) have the evap system. If you had this. Yes, it would vent back into itself.

Without. Its vented into the frame under the seat. I highley recomend relocating it to a higher spot.

If you do relocate. Its VERY important its ran in a way it can gravity feed / drain back into the tank or it will push out as it condensate.

As for filling the tank. It should have some air space. Generally filling up to the neck of the white filler pipe is considered "full". If you overfill it will/could push out the vent.

I overfill almost every time. Sometimes setting parking at a angle just for this reason. My vent is behind the seat about shoulder level.

Thanks could not find anything in the manual about vent without evap. Makes since why I don't smell it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!