Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I had a tank of bad gas in the machine and did a drain and refill and the machine was once again running well (did a 40-mile off-road trip with zero issues). Now that it is cold, the machine wants to stall and not stay running. I am guessing the fuel filter has some water in it, so I was thinking about changing it out. Has anyone changed their fuel filter, and if so, how bad is it? It appears to be in the fuel tank, so I was hoping it was as simple as pulling the seat, popping the pump out, and switching the filter. Am I off base? Also, does the fuel filter sound like it may be an issue to you?
Thanks

H

HondaTech

The actual filter is made into the lower pump housing.

Honda has a set of special tools to remove the lower cup from the assembly. While they aren't needed, they do make life alot easier. The ring that holds the pump assembly in can also be a pita.

I doubt that's the issue, since it's should've ran enough fuel through the system to flush it out. Maybe check the plugs first?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
need pics of machine first and foremost

check all basics,

did you check air filter and air box, battery connections, grounds, and as already mentioned swap the plugs

next would be to check iac (idle air control) valve

how does one get a bad batch of gas?

Reactions: Smitty335
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Guessing water from sitting. The machine sat for about eight months and ran perfectly before sitting, so it may have got condensation in the tank. I drained it all out and put new gas in, and it ran great - did a decent trail ride and no issues whatsoever. The other night I went to move the machine, and it stalled, so I restarted it and let it run for a minute, and when I went to back it in to the garage, and it stalled 4 or 5 times. Now it was 25 out; I am guessing the "choke" is on, and perhaps I still have a little condensation in the fuel.
Where is the IAC (idle air control) valve, and what do I need to check? Never done that. I will pull the plugs and grab some new ones this week to remove that from my possible list of problems. My problem is I use the other machines a lot more, so the Talon sits a lot and with all the changes in weather, and ethanol im not too shocked and can't blame the machine/Honda for this issue.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The NGK part number for a Talon is 90992. Using that at an auto parts store will save you some money. It’s also linked in my sig for future reference.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
idle air control valve is on the intake by the throttle bodies

after plugs and if no success, may need to pull iacv out and see if dirty, etc. - see other posts on this as there is a trick to getting it put back in properly.....search idle air control, IACV, etc,

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!