TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never gotten low enough to see the warning light

The Fuel Capacity: 7.9 gallons, when you hit the 1.7-gallon mark, then your warning light starts Dr flashing, indicating you have 1.7 gallons left.

Is that correct?

Does the light just flash a steady rate, and not speed up as the fuel level drops?

I know it varies with terrain, speed and load, but is there a minimal distance that you may have on 1.7 gallons?

Thank you

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I've never gotten low enough to see the warning light

The Fuel Capacity: 7.9 gallons, when you hit the 1.7-gallon mark, then your warning light starts Dr flashing, indicating you have 1.7 gallons left.

Is that correct?

Does the light just flash a steady rate, and not speed up as the fuel level drops?

I know it varies with terrain, speed and load, but is there a minimal distance that you may have on 1.7 gallons?

Thank you

I believe on the P1K5 the last fuel line/bar will start a steady blink until you're 〽_____________

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya the only indicator is the E blinking.
It means you are getting low, or what Honda calls the "reserve".
You should also consider the machine angle as that will matter on the reading.
We have drove a long ways on a flashing E.
Distance is relative to what you are doing but road cruising I would say a good 30 minuets or better.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I get from 12 to 20 mpg depending on the day's ride (Talon). IF there's 1.7 gallons left when the light starts flashing I 'should' be able to go from 20.4 miles to 34 miles. I carry a 3 gallon Rotopax all the time so I have a cushion.

Got fuel?
I GtpLhBL XL

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Rotopax insurance policy sounds like a good policy.

BTW, want do you guess a full Rotopax weighs? Can you lift and pour it one-handed? I can lift a five gallon plastic can with my right handed by the back, vertical handle and steady it a little with my right handle by the top, horizontal handle.

Thanks

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Rotopax insurance policy sounds like a good policy.

BTW, want do you guess a full Rotopax weighs? Can you lift and pour it one-handed? I can lift a five gallon plastic can with my right handed by the back, vertical handle and steady it a little with my right handle by the top, horizontal handle.

Thanks

My Rotopax is higher than the fuel tank and I carry a 3/8" ID syphon hose, I won't even have to loosen the RP. I screw short 3/8" bolts into the ends of the hose to keep dust out. To answer your question, fuel weighs 6 lbs. a gallon plus 2 or 3 for the RP - so something around 20 lbs. I don't know if I could handle it with one hand, my 5 gallon race jug is a handful for me, doable but heavy. I use a clear syphon hose so I don't choke myself out ... again. o_O

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Rotopax is higher than the fuel tank and I carry a 3/8" ID syphon hose, I won't even have to loosen the RP. I screw short 3/8" bolts into the ends of the hose to keep dust out. To answer your question, fuel weighs 6 lbs. a gallon plus 2 or 3 for the RP - so something around 20 lbs. I don't know if I could handle it with one hand, my 5 gallon race jug is a handful for me, doable but heavy. I use a clear syphon hose so I don't choke myself out ... again. o_O
Very helpful CID
THANK you very much for the info and help .

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@TxDoc have you seen these?
You insert the valve end in the gas and shake the end to get the flow started.
There is a ball bearing or marble in the valve an as the gas flows it rattles to let you know when it is done.

It's a slight improvement on the old mouth full of gas trick.
(or maybe your more coordinated than I am)

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Only had that happen once to me. Riding with tracks and snow conditions were terrible I had that gauge starts flashing. The worst part was we had brought a extra can of gas with us [10 lt can] and had already dumped it into the machine. There was three of us and each of our machines were running on empty when we got back. Talk about a scary time. My gauge started flashing about 5 miles from home. So glad when we pulled into the yard. Needless to say we carry bigger 5 gal 24 lt can now.

advertisement
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@TxDoc have you seen these?
You insert the valve end in the gas and shake the end to get the flow started.
There is a ball bearing or marble in the valve an as the gas flows it rattles to let you know when it is done.

View attachment 312101

It's a slight improvement on the old mouth full of gas trick.
(or maybe your more coordinated than I am)
I hadn't, but I have NOW. Thank you, I'll check in that. Thank you.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's been a long time since I ran off of gas in s car/truck, but it can be scary to dangerous.

I've run out of gas on my zero return on 7 acres, and walking with 5 gallons in 100 degree heat was not fun. And, a hassle to load and drive it in a SxS.

I always fill up my vehicles at 1/4 tank as I've been told that fuel pumps in the tank don't do well when the level is allowed to drop too low and longevity suffers. Just the labor to drop the tank to access the pump is expensive.

Thanks for sharing your experience slowdryrider.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reviving this topic because I ran my P1000 on blinking fuel gauge for the first time last night.

I kinda did it on purpose so I could see what it took to fill it back up.

I ran 20 miles after blinking to get to the gas station. I could only put 5.75 gallons back in.

So my question is:

The manual says it has 7.9 gal capacity, but it has that baffle that prevents you from filling it all the way.

So it should be 7.9 gallons when you first hit the limiting baffle, right?

If that's the case, I still had 2 gallons in the tank after running 20 miles past the blinking. And yeah, I'm talking about when it was running level.

It would have had to have 3+ gallons left when the light came on.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
...unless the tank has (quote) 7.9 gallon (unquote) capacity, but you can never actually put 7.9 in it without tipping it sideways, removing the baffle, etc.

That would be crappy of them.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Reviving this topic because I ran my P1000 on blinking fuel gauge for the first time last night.

I ran 20 miles after blinking to get to the gas station. I could only put 5.75 gallons back in.

So my question is:

The manual says it has 7.9 gal capacity, but it has that baffle that prevents you from filling it all the way.

If that's the case, I still had 2 gallons in the tank after running 20 miles past the blinking. And yeah, I'm talking about when it was running level.

That 5.75 gal is that while looking in the neck as you fuel or just sticking the nozzle in and fueling till it stops. I always top off looking down the tube and stoping when I see it coming up the tank neck. I've ran it for a good while after blinking light, while I don't remember exactly how many gallons I know I've put well over 6 at some point

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
...unless the tank has (quote) 7.9 gallon (unquote) capacity, but you can never actually put 7.9 in it without tipping it sideways, removing the baffle, etc.

I try to rack the buggy side to side if i really want to top off as much as possible. You can see the air bubbling sometimes. I know, I know.....some people are against it cause tank needs room when fuel/fumes expand, 🤞never had an issue.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

So my question is:

Talon info here but nonetheless -

Spec'd at 7.3 and I believe that's to the bottom of the plastic filler insert. You're spec'd for 7.9 and that should be to the bottom of the filler insert (I think). If empty, you should be able to put 7.9 gallons in a level tank. I took my Talon out, ran it out of fuel to check my range, 173 miles. Added the aux fuel I was carrying and drove back to the trailer, gassed up on the way home, allowed for the fuel I added and it looked like the 7.3 gallon spec was accurate without tilting the buggy or any overfilling antics.

I removed the insert, syphoned out most of the fuel, then ran it until it quit, level and on the trailer - completely empty tank. I was able to put 8-3/4 gallons in, so I gained 1.45 gallons removing the filler insert. Note that this caused a little fuel smell in the cab on steep, rocky descents so I extended my vent line forward, in front of the radiator and below the winch. Didn't want to go to the back because fuel/fumes + engine heat = bad juju.

The purpose of the insert is to trap an air bubble which allows for heat expansion and our extreme lean angles. It's an important safety feature and probably OSHA compliant. The air bubble isn't really trapped since the tank vent is on top and there's a tiny hole toward the top of the filler insert - if you're really patient, you can actually fill the tank but none of us are willing to put up with that agitation.

IMHO, YMMV, yer on yer own, yada yada yada :cool:

Reactions: toddvdh
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That 5.75 gal is that while looking in the neck as you fuel or just sticking the nozzle in and fueling till it stops.
Running the nozzle far back until the gas is full to the baffle, and even hitting it a few more times when it settles back

Reactions: JenElio
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good info @CID - so if my p1000 is working the same, my fuel light started blinking with more than 3 gallons left, vs the 1.79 they have in the manual.

Reactions: JenElio and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!