Fuse block to factory winch wires

J

Jhall244

Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2023
NE ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’ll be getting my talon in a few days and was going to wire my own fuse block with breaker and key on relay. I see mostly everyone says to use the factory supplied winch cables. My question is; if you are using the winch cable to run to your fuse block, then what are you using to send power to your winch? Or are the wires large enough be used for both? I should add that I plan on a 4500lb winch. Havn’t looked At what kind of draw that will pull yet

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I’ll be getting my talon in a few days and was going to wire my own fuse block with breaker and key on relay. I see mostly everyone says to use the factory supplied winch cables. My question is; if you are using the winch cable to run to your fuse block, then what are you using to send power to your winch? Or are the wires large enough be used for both? I should add that I plan on a 4500lb winch. Havn’t looked At what kind of draw that will pull yet
Welcome and hail FROM the victors here in MICHIGAN.

The thick cables from your winch should be connected *directly* to your battery terminals (ideally, to your AUX/2nd battery that you should install). The only wire for the winch that should be connected to your fuse block is the small one from the contactor (that energizes/de-energizes the contactor). You don't want your primary winch cables connected to your fuse block - she can't handle that muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch amperage. :)

Oh, and where are the damn pics? It's been at LEAST 27 minutes since the sheriff gave you a lawful order! 🤣

J

Jhall244

Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2023
NE ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
Welcome and hail FROM the victors here in MICHIGAN.

The thick cables from your winch should be connected *directly* to your battery terminals (ideally, to your AUX/2nd battery that you should install). The only wire for the winch that should be connected to your fuse block is the small one from the contactor (that energizes/de-energizes the contactor). You don't want your primary winch cables connected to your fuse block - she can't handle that muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch amperage. :)

Oh, and where are the damn pics? It's been at LEAST 27 minutes since the sheriff gave you a lawful order! 🤣
unfortunately my delivery date got pushed back till "hopefully" next week

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My winch took heavier gauge than the factory wiring but my winch come with the wiring. As far as the winch, just follow the instructions you get with it. Most mount directly to the battery as stated above. BUT, if your buying the machine new, have them install the winch and give you an accessory discount. Get an accossory discount and buy as many accessories you can afford with the discount. I mean, if they have the ones you want.

Reactions: Smitty335
J

Jhall244

Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2023
NE ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
I should say, I’m not stranger to electricity and wiring. I just didn’t know where and what hidden accessory wires Honda supplied. On another forum people were mentioning that they used the “supplied” wires that Honda uses for factory winch wires to supply the winch and an accessory fuse block. I thought that would be extreme depending on what size winch and draw on whatever accessories you put on. I wasn’t sure if Honda supplied a buss bar from the factory or other accessory wiring options

I do appreciate the replies. This is a responsive forum!

Reactions: Smitty335
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I used the factory winch wires and remote power terminals. Also incorporated auxiliary battery and the XTC key on power kit to power the fuse box with 35 amps. Has worked perfectly.
IMG 2174b

S

ScottJ24

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2020
Cresson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My winch took heavier gauge than the factory wiring but my winch come with the wiring. As far as the winch, just follow the instructions you get with it. Most mount directly to the battery as stated above. BUT, if your buying the machine new, have them install the winch and give you an accessory discount. Get an accossory discount and buy as many accessories you can afford with the discount. I mean, if they have the ones you want.
I just use the factory winch wireing to power the new fuse panel and routed the cabling that came from Warn to run the winch.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!