P1000 Glad I paid extra for those nice Deluxe tires....

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Don't advise anything to CH he'll blame you for carousing him into buying them when he doesn't like them! JK, but seriously I've heard good things. Only tire I've personally had that are tough and cheap are the Bear claw HTRs. 8ply to boot. My 6ply stockers on the 1000 are pretty tough too.

Not sure if you saw (on an unrelated note) the Wolverines have been recalled (over 10,000 units) for the decompression spring failing. I'm almost certain mine fell into to this range. I would have been a little perturbed having to have my unit broken into. Goes to show none are immune. Thought you might find that interesting and breathe a little relief amidst your dissatisfaction you didn't scoop up a Wolverine before that issue was resolved.

That isn't the only recall. A more dangerous one is the oil dip stick. Apparently the oil level specified at release is a little too low and they are telling people to make sure their oil level is at the top of the current stick until they get new sticks out to everyone. There were a couple of unlucky guys that had an engine problems related to lubrication and they weren't sure why. Of course everyone was dumping on them because they didn't check their oil enough...

The Wolverine was better in my mind that in practice. You were right about me not liking the ride height or the doors. I also didn't like the bolsters or the seating position after I tried it some more and the CVT whine being right over my right shoulder was much more annoying than the gear whine of the Pioneer. Plus, other than when climbing hills, I can shut that up by upshifting. Another thing you were right about, I really, really appreciate the manual shifters now. I also have come to really like having a nice big dumping bed which I didn't think I would even care for at all to start with. I also should have followed your lead and went with the Pioneer 1000-5 instead of the Deluxe, I think I would not have been so aggravated by having the tire puncture.

So you have pretty much been right about everything related to the Pioneer so I am counting on you to be right about the transmission too! ;)

Reactions: joeymt33 and 500

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That isn't the only recall. A more dangerous one is the oil dip stick. Apparently the oil level specified at release is a little too low and they are telling people to make sure their oil level is at the top of the current stick until they get new sticks out to everyone. There were a couple of unlucky guys that had an engine problems related to lubrication and they weren't sure why. Of course everyone was dumping on them because they didn't check their oil enough...

The Wolverine was better in my mind that in practice. You were right about me not liking the ride height or the doors. I also didn't like the bolsters or the seating position after I tried it some more and the CVT whine being right over my right shoulder was much more annoying than the gear whine of the Pioneer. Plus, other than when climbing hills, I can shut that up by upshifting. Another thing you were right about, I really, really appreciate the manual shifters now. I also have come to really like having a nice big dumping bed which I didn't think I would even care for at all to start with. I also should have followed your lead and went with the Pioneer 1000-5 instead of the Deluxe, I think I would not have been so aggravated by having the tire puncture.

So you have pretty much been right about everything related to the Pioneer so I am counting on you to be right about the transmission too! ;)
Put a guy on the spot why don't ya!
I am still working on uploading that video of the hill take-off. I got side tracked and forgot about it.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's a fair gripe but I don't think I've ever seen an advertised ply count for the P1K tires. You sure you actually read that somewhere and it wasn't just a comment on here?

I checked the tires, they are 4 ply.:(

On a completely different note, while researching tires originally for the Wolverine I read up on how tire weights are bad on the clutches and you need to be careful that you don't go too heavy on them.

Is there a similar restriction on the Pioneer clutch? Is there a +/- weight range that we need to stay within?

When these tires wear out I am either going with the Ripsaws or the EVO's in 8 ply but I don't want to wind up adding to my clutch worries. I might even go a little smaller per @hondabob recommendation but I want to make sure I keep within the weight design parameters.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Put a guy on the spot why don't ya!
I am still working on uploading that video of the hill take-off. I got side tracked and forgot about it.

You have been batting 1.000 so far and I don't want you to strike out and mess up your streak. :)

Reactions: 500
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Crow_Hunter I'll take the heat for you getting a white one (because it's awesome). But will deny anyhing else!:D
Do you advise them over the Bighorn originals? I have read they are extremely long wearing and puncture resistant.

I had my eyes originally on the Sedona Ripsaws but that was entirely based on what I read and heard relating to people doing Moab area stuff which isn't really my type of terrain. I also liked the shape and number of *lugs*, seemed like it would have less area of low material for punctures.

I do like the look of those quite a bit though. Seems to have much less open area than the Bighorns.
I have not run a set but know a fella that has put many on different machines and has nothing but good reports. I also like the Grim Reapers. I have used those and they are awesome.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!