P1000 Glass windshield protection

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’m to lazy to search it out…….. so, what are you guys doing to protect your glass windshield from rock damage while towing. My enclosed trailer build isn’t done yet and need to trailer it on my open trailer down quite a few miles of gravel roads.

thanks..

Reactions: ChadD
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My machine is not here and I can't show pics for now. I haul my rig on higher-speed gravel roads a whole lot, and cringe at the idea of sandblasting the front-end of the thing.
The good quality (like canvas) full-machine covers are pretty expensive. The cheap ones will tear quickly, and don't provide enough protection from big rocks.
I use two cheap brown 5x6 moving pad blankets with old ratchet straps stitched across them and D rings at the ends.
The first one covers the whole windshield down to the hood, the second wraps over that and over the bumper and headlights.
Bungee cords keep them snug.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Haven’t seen too many issues. But if you do ever need windshield have a glass company cut and install another. It’s like 125$ Lot less then full replacement, and probably worth the time and energy savings to not bother covering it up.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Back your buggy onto your trailer and tie down normally... Problem solved! 👍 🤣

This could work with glass.
I didn't mention that my windshield is Lexan. They say not to open trailer haul Lexan windshields with your machine facing backwards because a blow-by semi blast can tear it off the mounts.

Reactions: packer58 and ChadD
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Heavy tarp doesn't work when you have a bird hit the windshield. I back mine on now and with the lexan on the back window of the canopy .

IMG 3822

Reactions: packer58
jenk61

jenk61

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2021
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the windshield cover from UTV801. I haven't towed with it on yet but it is well made and secures to the windshield pretty good. Free Shipping and stickers too.

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks guys for all the replies and ideas, the 801 cover looks pretty good for the price and the simple idea of just backing the machine on the trailer sounds like a no brainer with front and rear glass except for the rear glass. I'll probably play around with the cheap harbor freight moving blankets and see what i can come up with. I promised on another thread that I would give some feedback on my Alumilite Armor enclosure but haven't put it on yet, however it all looks top notch out of the box.

Reactions: slowdryrider
K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m to lazy to search it out…….. so, what are you guys doing to protect your glass windshield from rock damage while towing. My enclosed trailer build isn’t done yet and need to trailer it on my open trailer down quite a few miles of gravel roads.

thanks..
We towed my P1000-5 to Montana, 20 hrs. And used an old comforter from a bed folded several times to make it the size of the windshield and used duct tape to hold it in place. It won’t stop a large heavy projectile but it protects it from typical road debris.

G

garyanthony

Apr 7, 2024
Shepherd, MT
Ownership

1. 700-4
I used a cardboard box (from big screen TV) folded double and cut to size. Duct taped into place all the way around the outside and inside top, middle and bottom. Realize it won't stand up to rain very long, but it worked great towing my 700-4 from the dealer in Bozeman, MT to my home in Shepherd, MT.
Currently have the question in to 801 to see if they can make me one for my 700-4 like they do for the 1000.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tow mine on a open trailer most trips, SATV flip up windshield. I just make sure its latched closed, machine facing fwd. Hasn't been an issue yet. I could just be lucky but I see a lot of SXS's trailered around here and have not seen many windshield covers. I wouldn't over think it to much.

Reactions: ChadD and Backwoods
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I used a cardboard box (from big screen TV) folded double and cut to size. Duct taped into place all the way around the outside and inside top, middle and bottom. Realize it won't stand up to rain very long, but it worked great towing my 700-4 from the dealer in Bozeman, MT to my home in Shepherd, MT.
Currently have the question in to 801 to see if they can make me one for my 700-4 like they do for the 1000.

do you use a windshield cover when driving your tow vehicle?

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I often tow my rig on gravel roads.
The tow vehicle kicks up a lot of rocks that basically blast the front of my rig.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The first SATV glass windshield I ordered for the Talon arrived broken. They sent a new one and didn't make me return the first one. I removed the broken glass and kept the steel frame. I plan to mount a piece of thin steel or aluminum sheet to the frame, then fashion a way to easily mount/remove it.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Obviously not. But then again my truck windshield doesn't cost 1k.

holy crap!!!!!

and I thought when the glass shop wanted a Benjamin for a replacement piece of glass when mine got blasted by a dirt bike that was a lot

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!