GMRS radio 5 watt vs 15 watt

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone have any experience with the 5 watt vs the 15 watt GMRS? Is it worth paying for the extra power? I have been using handheld radios with no problems but curious if there is much difference between the 5 and 15 watts before I purchase one.

Reactions: JAL
J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have any experience with the 5 watt vs the 15 watt GMRS? Is it worth paying for the extra power? I have been using handheld radios with no problems but curious if there is much difference between the 5 and 15 watts before I purchase one.

NitroDriver... If you mount a base/mobile unit on your UTV with a good antenna, the base/mobile radio should show a useable improvement over a GMRS handheld with a fixed rubber Duck antenna. Even more so if you use the base/mobile radio on a vehicle with a good mag mount antenna. So the challenge is getting a good antenna on a UTV without a metal roof.

The full answer is rather technical, so feel free to ignore what follows.

Basically if you can get a 6dB gain, about one S unit, you should see a usable improvement in performance. You will lose some of the gain unless you run good cable such as LMR240 to the antenna.

Most handhelds have an antenna with about -3 dBi gain (minus). My mobile UTV antenna has 2.5 dBi gain. My base station antenna has a gain of 8.4 dBi. The advantage of a good antenna is the gain is there on both receive and transmit which is important if the rest of the family is on a handheld.

5 watts vs 15 watts is a gain of 4.8 dB. This helps only on transmit, not on receive. Still, the extra dB is useful if you are acting as net control.

Jeff

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm thinking that means "yes".
LOL... IMHO, the Midland MXT275 is worth the upgrade over the Midland GXT1000. With the MXT275 and a good antenna I can hit the PL encoded GMRS repeater on Channel 20 in my region and talk to folks about 30 miles away. The GXT1000 does not even seem to support PL codes on Channel 20 running in Duplex.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!