P500 Got a dumb question to ask.....

Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Maybe this has already been covered but i really can't seem to find it if it is so forgive me up front. I just bought a 2018 p500 and i have 22 miles on it as of today. My question is during the break in period is the transmisson suppose to be kinda rough? It shifts hard and makes a clunking noise in manual mode and auto mode in every gear on the up shift and down shift. I am also assuming that even with the new transmission it is still geared low like the 2015-2016 models because when you slow down and it downshifts it will kinda throw you forward. I have read that the gearing was changed on the 17+ models but not sure how much and if it is even true. I just want to make sure i'm not doing something wrong. I really like this thing and i want it to be reliable and last for many years.

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

Honestly , they all clunk like that. It does get better , as you put more mIles on it and learn the best time to up/down shift. I don't even notice anymore ..........a loud stereo will also help reduce the clunking you hear !

Mine is a 15 so it doesn't have auto mode !

Last edited by a moderator:
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2017 purchased new 16 months ago. The rig is pretty clunky when brand new. It will improve slightly. I did a clutch adjustment after the first oil change and that helped alot. It will never shift like a Honda 500 atv... Be happy you have gears and not a CVT!
Al

Last edited:
Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Yea mine has its moments some hard shifts at times. Even in manual it will down shift at times when slowing to turn.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They are very clunky and rough during the break in period. Should get better after the first service. I remember both of mine bein very noisy at the beginning. They definitely aren’t quiet that’s for sure. You’ll learn to live with it lol.

Reactions: markie and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Good stereo.....noise & heat
.....barrier...along with oil
change.....is as good as it..
gets.....& then.......
The dollars .... spent are higher....than
the miles.....driven..on accessories
enjoy.....

Last edited:
Reactions: markie and Mudder
Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
They are very clunky and rough during the break in period. Should get better after the first service. I remember both of mine bein very noisy at the beginning. They definitely aren’t quiet that’s for sure. You’ll learn to live with it lol.
I’m good with it as long as it’s Normal and I’m not tearing up anything

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Yep, the auto downshift could be smoother. After a good break in, theres a good video on clutch adjustment, if needed, that helped alot.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
The '17 gearing is different. Mostly 1st and reverse is the big difference.

Reactions: Little_g
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was the same at first. The more miles you run it, the better it will get. They also shift smoother after warming up a touch.

Mudslyder

Mudslyder

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2016
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Go with a good synthetic oil after the break in period. You will see a big difference.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!