GREAT STUFF SEALANT in tubing. need feedback.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I am in need of some feedback. Just want to here your thoughts.

I am thinking of using Great Stuff sealant to fill some of the tubing! Not every one. Just ones that may get filled with mud/water.

I have noticed several tubes that are one way only. Some that are vertical with no lower exit. and even some of the caped tubes that have small holes drilled in them.
All of which will let mud, water, sand into the pipes and weight to the sxs only to be trapped forever eating away from the inside.

Anyone got any ideas. I will try to get some picture examples this weekend of my most bothersome concerns.
Thanks.

B

brando4905

Sep 10, 2013
Marion, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Re: GREAT STUFF SEALANT in tubing. need feedback.

I would be leery of filling the frame tubing. There may be welds that aren't completely sealed and would let water into the frame. If this water cant escape, then the frame could start rotting from the inside out.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I know.. That is why I want to do it.. To stop the water from getting in. It may be better explained once I get pictures.

Some of these pipes are caped off so if you do not cap the small hole that is exactly what is going to happen.

I

idahohntr

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2013

Still on the road due to work, however when I get back I plan on swabbing the insides of the frames with a rust converting primer. Back in the day we used to call it "purple monkey sp--ge" Basically, it chemically converts rust and stops the detrimental effects. I would apply it to electrical switchgears at dams and such that were subject to constant humidity changes. If one was to apply that to the inside of the frame now, it would help deter any corrosion issues in the future.

When applied, it turns black when it dries. My thoughts are to trim a NEW toilet brush so it fits in the frame, attach it to an extension pole and duct tape the living hell out of it so it doesn't come off in the frame. Simply dunk it in the solution and get it done.

Good Luck!

I

idahohntr

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2013

Forgot to inform of one issue- protect concrete, skin and such because if spilt or accidentally comes in skin contact it takes a LONG time for it to come off!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

I dunno...
I've never tested it, but GS looks a little porous, so it might still let water in and slow any evaporation. Personally, i'd just leave it alone...maybe drill out the holes to a larger size to let mud out?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

Here are pictures to show my conserin.

This is what started me looking into this. I took a short creek ride. It is fairly deep in some spots. Several days later I took a quick trip around the yard and seen this. Rust from held water inside the piping.

It looks as though it came from this hole.

Then I seen several other pipes that were issues.

This pipe is a main frame pipe. It is sealed at both ends. You see the 2 holes. It I am sure it is full of water too.

This is the front main frame. This seems to be the only hole but as you can see it is fairly big. Mud will surly find its way in there if I do not seal it up.

Attachments

• IMG_1636.JPG
    IMG_1636.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 720
  • 1.png
    1.png
    286.3 KB · Views: 725
  • 2.png
    2.png
    582.5 KB · Views: 726
S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013

Hondasxs- nice work with the photos! What program did you use to edit the 3rd photo? Also, what is that red stuff on your a-arm in the first photo?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

Swamper said:
Hondasxs- nice work with the photos! What program did you use to edit the 3rd photo? Also, what is that red stuff on your a-arm in the first photo?
I have photoshop.

The red'ish/brown is rust.
The red in the bottom right is just the reflection from the red fenders.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013

10-4 I could tell you weren't a rookie haha. Nice work. I have a copy of CS-2 but don't use it much. I was into outdoor photography a few years back but I lost interest due to other hobbies.

advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

I also have PS ( and DreamWeaver and Illustrator and flash...), but i mainly use it to put Obama's head on various animals...

Anyway...i don't know if i'd lose sleep over it. Every Honda quad i have owned did what you are concerned about, including my current 450S. 10 years later, the frame shows no deterioration at all. Other than maybe enlarge the weep holes, i'd be fearful that any attempt to seal it would just hold moisture in and make it worse.

hondaslob524

hondaslob524

Feb 4, 2014
Upper Michigan (yooper)

Im pretty certain that great stuff soaks up,ater and holds moisture. I tried using it to patch a couple hole in the tin on my deer blind and it leaks through it. Hope that helps, although I'm sure it could help dampen the sound!

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4

Richard Do Not fill the tubes with Great Stuff that stuff will hold moisture and make your tube rust out quicker than if you did nothing at all. I would try your best to get some paint down in there the best you can, If you do nothing just put a good air hose to all the holes and that will blow them out. It will be a long time before and if the tubes will rust out. I'm going to try and just get paint in them. Tom

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

Ya, not going to do that. It was just a thought. I have wasted a can of spray paint on many of the holes I found around the p4.

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4

Can you get a nozzle like what's on wd40 and stick it in the holes to get some paint in them, That should help.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

TandT said:
Can you get a nozzle like what's on wd40 and stick it in the holes to get some paint in them, That should help.
Idk. But that's a great idea. Thanks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!