mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It’s definitely either or.

Going to the Takeover last year I was running late and running 80+ pulling the Pioneer and I probably had between 500-1000 lbs in the Explorer. It had no problems pulling the loaded up Pioneer and heavy trailer and all the extra cargo weight at 80-85 up any hill only dropping a gear on occasion when I couldn’t keep momentum because someone slowed in front of me. It’d get right back to 80-85 going up the hill once they were out of the way. It only got 4.5mpg but this year running 70pulling same load I got 13 and the average INCREASED in the hills of Tennessee because flat or hill I was getting 12.5 but I had the benefit of going down hill getting better mileage so by the time I pulled into RRB it was over 13 for the whole trip.

I’m looking at a F-350 now because wife is back on the RV kick, I’ll need something that can tow a gooseneck/5th Wheel toyhauler.

It’s only the cost of the Diesel for the cost increase and I get 20k towing vs 13k with almost double the payload. It’s NOT a daily so I don’t care about the ride, it will be towing 10k+ 90% of its miles if we get the RV. Since it’s not a daily I also plan on a 250k mike 10-15 year lifecycle, so the added expense over a 15yr period is about 2k a year.

The other thing to keep in mind is the value of either at the end of your ownership cycle..

I think JTW is right about getting out of a gas truck before it hit's 100K to get max value, but the good diesel trucks hold value better. Being in the car business, I keep an eye on values daily. I bought my '14 F350 crew short platinum new. After the smoke cleared, I paid just under 57 for it. Mine isn't a daily either, but right now, it'd retail for right at 50. The fact that it has 31K on the clock definitely plays into the equation, but even milers are bringing big money. A buddy of mine searched for a used 11-16 250 or 350 for quite a while.. I was helping him. Even the trucks with 150K+ were still bringing over 35K.
That's only on the "good" motor'ed ones.. the 6.0 & 6.4's didn't hold value that well. I sold my Lariat crew short (6.0) 350 in '14 with 123K & got 17500, and it was as clean as a pin.

advertisement
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang, you’re on it! Keep up the good work!

Just making sure I'm happy with it. Not really looking forward to welding the oil pan gussets or adding all the nutserts for the skid plate. It's easy work but still work

The new machine drives great. The clutch engagement is smoother and it seems to have a bit more low end grunt. Not that I needed more but smoother is great.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just making sure I'm happy with it. Not really looking forward to welding the oil pan gussets or adding all the nutserts for the skid plate. It's easy work but still work

The new machine drives great. The clutch engagement is smoother and it seems to have a bit more low end grunt. Not that I needed more but smoother is great.
It all takes time for sure.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Wow you put nutserts on all the skid bolts !!!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yup. It's really nice and if they get f***ed up you can replace them.

I have one of these. My machine probably had 75 nutserts in it. The new one has a ton already

rzx 8" RIVET NUT GUN M3 M4 M5,m6... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XVB3MMG?tag=sxsweb24-20
Sweet that's going the extra mile like soldering all connections. Which I did but not the inserts .s*** something else to do

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Yup. It's really nice and if they get f***ed up you can replace them.

I have one of these. My machine probably had 75 nutserts in it. The new one has a ton already

rzx 8" RIVET NUT GUN M3 M4 M5,m6... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XVB3MMG?tag=sxsweb24-20
I think mine would have done better if I used the gun... but I’m like you.. there’s plenty extra down there Incase some mess up. The biggest issue I had with the nutserts are spinning if they don’t pinch like they should.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think mine would have done better if I used the gun... but I’m like you.. there’s plenty extra down there Incase some mess up. The biggest issue I had with the nutserts are spinning if they don’t pinch like they should.

Installed by hand, I had a few spin or strip out. With the tool they are perfect pretty much every time, it was well worth it to buy

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!