SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
This is for all you Mopar fanboys.......

I consider myself a “car guy” and there’s not much out there that I don’t know something about, having read car mags since I was in grade school, attended many races, car shows, auctions, and even raced, collected, and restored cars myself.

The house next door to me had been for sale for a while, and while out mowing, I noticed a guy and his wife trying to unload a big Harley. I walked over and offered to help. Met the new neighbor, and he is an old retired coot like myself. He said he was going back to Texas to get another load, and another vehicle. A couple of days later this truck is parked in the driveway with the top down. I thought somebody had butchered a nice looking truck. I had to google it to find out that they only made them from ’89 to 91, and not very many or them. It’s a Dodge Dakota sport convertible. I guess some of you knew that, but it’s the first one I can remember seeing. It appears to be in very good conditon.

Were they good trucks? Are they worth much now?

Dodge

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I consider myself a “car guy” and there’s not much out there that I don’t know something about, having read car mags since I was in grade school, attended many races, car shows, auctions, and even raced, collected, and restored cars myself.

The house next door to me had been for sale for a while, and while out mowing, I noticed a guy and his wife trying to unload a big Harley. I walked over and offered to help. Met the new neighbor, and he is an old retired coot like myself. He said he was going back to Texas to get another load, and another vehicle. A couple of days later this truck is parked in the driveway with the top down. I thought somebody had butchered a nice looking truck. I had to google it to find out that they only made them from ’89 to 91, and not very many or them. It’s a Dodge Dakota sport convertible. I guess some of you knew that, but it’s the first one I can remember seeing. It appears to be in very good conditon.

View attachment 218468
I don’t know much about them but my brother in law has one that he still drives every day. It has more holes in the body that a piece of Swiss cheese! 😂

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

View attachment 218468
I’ve only seen a few of those I believe they are fairly rare. Wouldn’t say worth much but maybe. Honestly the Dakota was a pretty good truck. The auto had some problems. Maybe that’s a 318 nice little truck if so

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

View attachment 218468
Can't tell from the pic, but is that a Shelby one?

Funny a post about Dakota's comes up. Been working on a 2nd gen this week, and for several years I've been thinking I should have appreciated these trucks more than I did when they were new. They were decent, comfy trucks...and a perfect size for somebody like me who didn't need to drive a full size around every day.
It also makes me a little irked. The Dakota was a success story for Chrysler...and along came Daimler and f***ed it up, like just about everything else they touched. The 3rd gen simply isn't nearly the truck the previous versions were. Cheap parts and an ugly redesign killed it. The 4.7 finally got the output it probably should have had to start with, but it was too late. It was Dodge's T100 at that point, and hard to justify buying over the full size for only slightly more money.
And that cost/value was probably a big factor in why the small/midsize truck market died until recently.

advertisement
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Can't tell from the pic, but is that a Shelby one?

Funny a post about Dakota's comes up. Been working on a 2nd gen this week, and for several years I've been thinking I should have appreciated these trucks more than I did when they were new. They were decent, comfy trucks...and a perfect size for somebody like me who didn't need to drive a full size around every day.
It also makes me a little irked. The Dakota was a success story for Chrysler...and along came Daimler and f***ed it up, like just about everything else they touched. The 3rd gen simply isn't nearly the truck the previous versions were. Cheap parts and an ugly redesign killed it. The 4.7 finally got the output it probably should have had to start with, but it was too late. It was Dodge's T100 at that point, and hard to justify buying over the full size for only slightly more money.
And that cost/value was probably a big factor in why the small/midsize truck market died until recently.

I don't think it is a Shelby. The pic was taken from a distance with my old cell phone, but there is a graphic on the side that says "Dakota Sport".
If it were a Shelby (being a big fan of anything Shelby) , I would probably be over asking for a ride. I used to own a 68' Shelby Mustang GT500 KR.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't think it is a Shelby. The pic was taken from a distance with my old cell phone, but there is a graphic on the side that says "Dakota Sport".
If it were a Shelby (being a big fan of anything Shelby) , I would probably be over asking for a ride. I used to own a 68' Shelby Mustang GT500 KR.
I think they all had roll bars. Don't remember, but I think the big deal was they had a 5.2 (aka 318) before the factory started doing it, but it was a pre Magnum engine, so like 170 HP, so probably not anything all that impressive. Other than being a Shelby.
The later production V8 trucks were up over 200. According to some Mopar magazines of the day, a stripper V8 2wd would out drag a 5.0 stock. Not bad for a truck.

EDIT: memory is better than I thought...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think they all had roll bars. Don't remember, but I think the big deal was they had a 5.2 (aka 318) before the factory started doing it, but it was a pre Magnum engine, so like 170 HP, so probably not anything all that impressive. Other than being a Shelby.
The later production V8 trucks were up over 200. According to some Mopar magazines of the day, a stripper V8 2wd would out drag a 5.0 stock. Not bad for a truck.

EDIT: memory is better than I thought...

Wow that is anemic for something with Shelby associated with it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Dodge took advantage of an old man....ought to be ashamed.
Ford took advantage of everyone there for a bit in the ‘90s- early 2000’s...at least Dodge gave the Ford guys a quick fix with a proper engine swap.

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!