H.F.A.W.H.A. meeting

crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dad is a tool and die maker. He runs a little shop he started about 15 years ago. A dying breed indeed. He’s got 5 injection mold machines he operates and a pretty decent machine shop setup. If you’ve bought a car battery from a Walmart that was built in the last 15 years you’ve seen one of his products. He makes the little rollers on the battery shelves.
cool I have to look the next time I am at Walmart. used to work on Kohler dies. high end sinks and faucets. also did industrial Lennox unit panel dies. I was told 20 years ago it's a dying breed. especially one who enjoy what they do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
cool I have to look the next time I am at Walmart. used to work on Kohler dies. high end sinks and faucets. also did industrial Lennox unit panel dies. I was told 20 years ago it's a dying breed. especially one who enjoy what they do.

He’s mostly doing plastic cases for medical equipment, scanners and such now. And parts for bunn o matic coffee makers

Reactions: sharp
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
My dad is a tool and die maker. He runs a little shop he started about 15 years ago. A dying breed indeed.

Couple of years ago my employer was trying to source some large custom rubber parts.
Goodyear wanted $250k for the tool.
Some Taiwanese company wanted $10k, like its almost free.
Found out they where getting the tools made in China.
I doubt Goodyear could have goten the steel for that cost.
To my way of thinking the president cant slap those tarifs on fast enough.

In the end, the ship hauling the tool from China to Taiwan sunk in a typhoon.
Didn't see that one comming.

crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Couple of years ago my employer was trying to source some large custom rubber parts.

Haha! sunk that battle ship. yeah I have seen a lot stuff go over seas. I think the tariffs will bring back more made in the USA. witch in turn is good for the blue collar workers.

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm with ya. I know overseas aren't on the same playing field with labor cost, but I'd like to see the true manufacturing cost from companies. A lot of the problem comes down to greed,..... or I guess the CEO calls it inflation....

I have been a sales manager for many companies in many industries and the margins on a lot of products are unreal.

If a company can make a product, ship at halfway around the world, and still sell it for less then it is made in America somebody is getting screwed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

J

JTW

I'm with ya. I know overseas aren't on the same playing field with labor cost, but I'd like to see the true manufacturing cost from companies. A lot of the problem comes down to greed,..... or I guess the CEO calls it inflation....

I have been a sales manager for many companies in many industries and the margins on a lot of products are unreal.

If a company can make a product, ship at halfway around the world, and still sell it for less then it is made in America somebody is getting screwed.

Exactly..

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I’d like to see a ‘environment ‘ tax. If we have to bend over backwards to save the planet then imported goods should pay a like amount or clean up there factories. I really feel we have tilted the playing field against ourselves.

There are a couple of other things I would do if I where dictator but t that’s a start.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yeah, my old man is more or less out of the toolmaking business. He sends most of his shot to China to be built now, says its not worth his time for what they charge. Then he sells the tool to the customer plus a little markup

advertisement
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’d like to see a ‘environment ‘ tax. If we have to bend over backwards to save the planet then imported goods should pay a like amount or clean up there factories. I really feel we have tilted the playing field against ourselves.

There are a couple of other things I would do if I where dictator but t that’s a start.
I agree. When our EPA puts us into such strict regulations and the rest of the world doesn't seem to care about pollution it's a major problem.

J

JTW

FE892DE2 432F 49B3 AC66 12406633610C

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

China is starting to feel the pressure.. their cost are rising as the younger generation does not want to work in the factories, their raw materials are increasing in cost and they crack down on dye houses for their environmental requirements (at least in the textile industry). India and Pakistan are becoming the low cost leaders in that industry. Their factories are state of the art - but it is more dangerous going there from what I have heard

Still many years to go for China but it is happening

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
China is starting to feel the pressure.. their cost are rising as the younger generation does not want to work in the factories, their raw materials are increasing in cost and they crack down on dye houses for their environmental requirements (at least in the textile industry). India and Pakistan are becoming the low cost leaders in that industry. Their factories are state of the art - but it is more dangerous going there from what I have heard

Still many years to go for China but it is happening
So you aren't willing to go to Pakistan to help me start a rug factory?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!