Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Holy crap I absolutely love the radios! I appreciate your help really. Last weekend we were over 30 miles out in heavy trees and it came in great. Really impressed! We now have 4 little radios all on 467. and anytime someone goes out especially at night they take one. They are much smaller then even a two way but so powerful! It's allowed even the kids to enjoy nightlife and be able to ride whenever. I'll even allow our youngest girl to head out. Shell bring my little.22lr and spray for backup but we can now communicate at any point. Really opened up our lives. Night rides with larger packs are very cool as well. Wish we had done it years ago!!! Our friends have a Marine radio in their Pioneer and we can even get that channel. Cb channels whatever. It's been slow to figure out though. Only downside is it's a lot of power draw we're asking so much of that little stator so this doesn't help.

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Very much so! Thank you again I really appreciate everything. And thank you @AKRider as well! This was a big deal for us there were lots of great tips here. Love this site!

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm surprised you Tennessee boys don't all have a setup. It would be great for all of your rides. At least consider these8dc27ffadbc2816a44417a528b2eb511

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
These are 8watt dual frequency. Make sure they do the 467 frequencies. There's only a couple channels that are allowed. 944f3f52f434b0a6e55fc4a0e35281e4
There are two in this posting. So that's a pretty good deal drf. This particular unit is very water resistant and can be switched from 2/4/8 watt for power saving. With just handheld at 8 watt we're about 6-8 miles in the woods with these but that's super hilly and very heavily treed. They will reach much much further on flat ground or open area. Battery will last a weekend and have purposely left them in the rain to check. So far so good

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme and drfubar
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
These are 8watt dual frequency. Make sure they do the 467 frequencies. There's only a couple channels that are allowed. View attachment 22800
There are two in this posting. So that's a pretty good deal drf. This particular unit is very water resistant and can be switched from 2/4/8 watt for power saving. With just handheld at 8 watt we're about 6-8 miles in the woods with these but that's super hilly and very heavily treed. They will reach much much further on flat ground or open area. Battery will last a weekend and have purposely left them in the rain to check. So far so good

Sent from iPhone
Won't do me any good unless some of the bull run boys have them too

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Last edited:
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The test for the license is not online. It is regulated by the FCC and can only be administered in person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

D

Dasmoeturhead

There is no test/exam for FRS/GMRS just a $90.00 fee. If you use the 8 frequencies that are allotted, and a radio that puts out a maximum of 1/2 watt you can use them with no liscence or fee. To transmit on a Ham band/frequency you need a license, and it will be administered by ham radio operators. The fee is $15.00 , and is good for 10 years.
One of the reasons the FRS radios don't require a licence is that the radios only have 1/2 watt. Even Baofeng radios put out 1 watt on there lowest power setting.

Reactions: Biteme and AKRider
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I researched online: What is Ham Radio

Which is different than General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) radios.

I think the first class of HAM is better suited to our needs.

Basic study materials for passing the FCC test and getting your initial license usually cost less than $40. There are also classes held by many local groups for people who want more interaction. Once you have your first license, most hams find it best to start with simple equipment and grow over time. It usually costs less than $200 to get your own first radio and start talking to other hams. Many ham radio flea markets are held all over the country that sell good used equipment for even less.

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
"With just handheld at 8 watt we're about 6-8 miles in the woods"

Don't count on that. Trees and shrubs eat up radio signals no matter what band. You can expect 1/2 to a mile in very dense and maybe a little further in more open areas. I have been using Kenwood THF6A's for hunting and back roading for years (KC7LB) and we do not get near what all of the advertisements tell you you will get for higher power radios. On top of that antenna's make the radio work that much better. If you have a 50 watt mobile with a good antenna you will be heard a long ways off. Problem is someone talking back to you with 5 watts in a canyon will not be heard. Repeaters can change that but in my part of the world (Arizona) some of those are out of range of hunting areas. I have been Hamming for 45 years. I have worked the world with HF and used VHF to talk around the country. Equipment has changed but not to the point that 5 (or 8) watts will punch 5 miles through thick woods. Many times cell phones work better than radios.

You can buy GMRS radios that produce 5 watts output for under $100 and be licensed for about $60. (I have that license too). Before you spend the time and money to become a Ham find out if small power handhelds are going to do what you want to do. I doubt that they will if you are looking for 4/5 mile reception in the woods.

Last edited:
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's been 20+ years since I've worked on radio communications equipment. I've been wanting to get into the HAM world for a long time. I took the first step and passed the Technician Class HAM radio test last night. I also took the General Class test, but I hadn't studied for it and didn't pass, although many of the questions were ones I could have answered... 20 years ago... lol.

No worries. I think next month I'll test for the General Class, and maybe even the Extra Class.

I see many antennas and radios in my future!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!