Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@Dasmoeturhead I'm down to only a couple questions. I'm a little stuck between 1/4 and 5/8 as I'm in the woods. It seems like 5/8 is more stable but 1/4 works better in the woods? Not sure here. And been looking at antennas all day trying not to bother you more but dammit. You suggested 2m 70cm but firestik doesn't make that. They are "tunable " however I don't have the proper equipment to tune them. I'm down to antenna and quick release as you suggested. Is a spring necessary? Obviously I'd like to get best bang for buck here but I'd like it to hold up and transmit well. May I ask you to suggest something for my needs? I am understanding a lot more especially with your help but can't afford to make a mistake here if rather be one and done. Btw I asked for a return on the radio I purchased and decided you knew more and looked up the Yaesu ft2900r and found that to sound good. It had no fan but a giant heatsink with is lots better for the conditions so that is ordered instead so thank you for that tidbit!

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Biteme
D

Dasmoeturhead

I wish I could have sat down with you and talked;this through. Here it is. A 1/4 wavelength antenna is 1/4 of the wavelength of a frequency. 5/8 is 5/8 the length of the wavelength (better). Either one will work fine. Now the last time I talked with you, you was going to use the FRS frequencies on you baofeng radios, and you wasn't going to need a license. All that looked good with that plan.

Now your getting that Yaesu 2900 which is a fantastic radio, but it will imly work on 2 meter 144-148 Mhz. Good news is your handheld will work on 2 meters as well, but for immediate use you aren't going to be able to use them legally until every member of your family that's going to operate in that band has a license. That's the only downside. Getting the license would be great, but it's going to take some tim

Reactions: Biteme and sharp
D

Dasmoeturhead

Firestick model 2M4, is a fibreglass type antenna. You don't need a spring, but in the woods there nice to have when you hit a branch. This antenna only works from 144-148 mhz, and that's exactly what you will need for your current radios.

D

Dasmoeturhead

CP, I know your having a tough time trying to figure this all out, and I totally understand. All you want is some reliable comm's so you and your family can stay in touch. let me

D

Dasmoeturhead

Suggest this. Why not just make it simple, and use 3 handhelds? Even though that 2900r is powerful it will probably only work for a few miles in the woods, unless your using a repeater. You need a license to use one. I use my baofeng uv5r just like it came out of the box to communicate with my wife at home. I've been out 2 miles through heavily wooded terrain, and it works great. You can connect a handheld radio to a mobile type antenna, and you will get more range out of it. It only requires a fitting on the radio to connect it up. All this would still probably be within the $200.00 budget.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wish I could have sat down with you and talked;this through. Here it is. A 1/4 wavelength antenna is 1/4 of the wavelength of a frequency. 5/8 is 5/8 the length of the wavelength (better). Either one will work fine. Now the last time I talked with you, you was going to use the FRS frequencies on you baofeng radios, and you wasn't going to need a license. All that looked good with that plan.

Now your getting that Yaesu 2900 which is a fantastic radio, but it will imly work on 2 meter 144-148 Mhz. Good news is your handheld will work on 2 meters as well, but for immediate use you aren't going to be able to use them legally until every member of your family that's going to operate in that band has a license. That's the only downside. Getting the license would be great, but it's going to take some tim
We will start on the license this weekend. I didn't realize this radio didn't have those frequencies but I guess now I'm not sure the walkies do either. Damn. It's ok I'll work everything in its a better radio

Sent from iPhone

K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015
We will start on the license this weekend. I didn't realize this radio didn't have those frequencies but I guess now I'm not sure the walkies do either. Damn. It's ok I'll work everything in its a better radio

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher, I see you are from the Spokane area. Check out Inland Empire VHF Radio Amateurs Club . To learn more about ham radio the best thing you could do is to find a local club and get to know a few knowledgeable people. Most clubs have classes as well.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CumminsPusher, I see you are from the Spokane area. Check out Inland Empire VHF Radio Amateurs Club . To learn more about ham radio the best thing you could do is to find a local club and get to know a few knowledgeable people. Most clubs have classes as well.
I thank you and will look that up. I really am trying to do this right and legal. Are you local here I couldn't find information either way

advertisement
K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015
I thank you and will look that up. I really am trying to do this right and legal. Are you local here I couldn't find information either way

I''m in the Milwaukee area. For reference there are a dozen or so ham radio clubs in my area, and I would expect there are several in yours. I found the club I linked with Google; I have no personal knowledge about that particular club, but my experience has been that most clubs have a number of people that enjoy helping new hams.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well thank you! This is new to me so I welcome all new information. I need to learn

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Disclaimer - I haven't read every post in this thread and I surely don't want to step on anyone's toes with this post. Since I didn't see the following information in what I have read here, I thought it was worth a mention to keep people out of trouble with the law.

I am not a HAM yet, but have been seriously looking into it and communicating with my local club about training, testing, etc. @CumminsPusher I'm probably exactly where you are. I know just enough to be dangerous.

I'm starting with the Baofeng BF-F8HP's only because I wanted a little more power. The Baofeng UV-5R from what I've read is a great little radio for the price, also. I too was originally hoping that I could use these in combination with my GMRS/FRS radio's I already have. That way my wife and daughter wouldn't need to get a HAM license. I found that even though they will work to do so, it is technically illegal with either of these radio's because neither is licensed by the FCC to be Part 95 compliant. This covers CB, MURS, FRS and GMRS. I found a good article that explains the nuances of the issue here:

The 'Best' Radio for FRS/GMRS - Code Green Prep

The one statement I don't agree with is, "All these worries would of course evaporate if you obtained a Ham radio operator’s license."

From what I can tell, none of the frequencies allocated for FRS/GMRS, anything covered under Part 95 really, are available to the US Amateur Radio bands (HAMS). I could be wrong, though. My reference is this:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band Chart/Hambands_color.pdf

I think the best advice I've received and seen here is to get with a local amateur radio club. These people collectively have hundreds of years of experience doing this and are the pro's.

Good luck, CP! I definitely know how you feel.

Last edited:
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Man, this is brutal - and I have electrical engineering in my background.

I'm looking at the UV5R or possibly BF-F8HP.
We're going to be between 144 and 156 Mhz.
Should I stick with the antenna that comes with it or upgrade?
Any suggestions?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Omg this was tough for me. Lots of wrong stuff and a very slow learn. Ghost these guys were very helpful we now have communications on the legal channels I'm very thankful!

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Biteme and ghost
D

Dasmoeturhead

CP, did you finally get it all sorted out? What did you end up with? Hope it all worked out for ya.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Right now just using the walkies and the beofeng head unit in pioneer. Just running 467 for now till all up. 4 of us are doing online thing Sharp suggested coming up looks easy. Range is VERY good just walkies are proving well over 6 miles as crow flies in the deep woods by gps with very little break up. That's good enough on those for 8 w,the 50w in sxs hasn't been used over 10 yet but expect great distance. We've got all other channels blocked for now. These cheap units are incredible! Very clear voice and no background noise at all been used at speed on my bike even. It's not like the 2-ways from my childhood I'll tell you. Very happy we have added security! There have been some problems lately with wolf packs close by and with this and my firearm at her side even my youngest I feel is safer. Really happy! Thank you for all you help. Thank you ak as well. Thanks everyone and everyone else as well. Anyone helping my family is a friend of mine. Sorry I didn't post back quicker. Really appreciate you guys!

Sent from iPhone 57a71864e179a974ce15a2b4ff7e69caBb7731540db62387129ac67dc9a1163d

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thank you again

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Biteme and sharp
D

Dasmoeturhead

Hey CP, how are the radios working out for you? I ended up finally getting a new Yaesu 2900r a few weeks ago. I've got it mounted in the garage as my base 2 meter radio. All I can say is that this thing rocks. I made a contact 278 miles away on simplex (no repeater). That 75 watts really puts the signal out there. Someday I'll get another one for the P1.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!