Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
145.130 -0.6 MHz 100 for the tone in. LaFollette
147.360 +0.6 MHz 100 tone in LaFollette
444.550 +5 MHz 77 tone in Caryville
These are a couple I keep in my radio for the T.O.

Try Repeaterbook.com for others
Thanks for those. I did look in the book at one point but it's kinda hard to know which one cover what areas from just a book/ website.
When I get the chance I'll put them in memory. Thanks.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for those. I did look in the book at one point but it's kinda hard to know which one cover what areas from just a book/ website.
When I get the chance I'll put them in memory. Thanks.
I usually just stay on GMRS with the group I ride with. I have used a little HF to say hello to the guys at home when I'm in Pioneer and using the radio in my truck.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m basically on page one of learning. Much of this is like a foreign language at this point but I’m going to persevere to get licensed, at least the technical beginning stage. I’ve had ham radios for years. It’s about time to learn every aspect on proper usage and everything associated with them. Thanks for your support!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Coming up next month in Spokane @CumminsPusher
F36A59DE 6FCB 4BB7 815A 6A7403DE274C

M

mrichard1958

Aug 3, 2019
Lebanon, TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
K4KA (Extra):

HF Station: Kenwood TS 480S transceiver (running Kenwood's ARCP-480 CAT control software from a desktop computer), with a LDS-600 Pro Auto-Tuner and an Ameritron ALS 600 solid state amplifier. I use an 80 meter dipole about 30 feet high.

UHF / VHF: Kenwood TM V71A using an attic mounted Diamond X200 Base Station Antenna.

The referenced equipment are older solid state units, but they are very reliable. I don't have a mobile setup, but I have operated the TS-480 remotely using Kenwood's operating software and Anydesk's computer remote control software. The 480 is sturdy but no longer produced (I have a spare unit as a backup).

Last edited:
Biteme

Biteme

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2020
North West New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is anyone here a licensed ham operator? If so feel free to share your handles and what you use. I haven’t gotten my license yet , but I am building up my collection for when the SHTF and soon will be studying to get my license. Hamtestonline.com
I just scored a bunch of vehicle and home base antennas and some HD Coaxial cable.
for my mobile unit I just got a Yeasu FTM 6000 dual band VHF, UHF radio for my truck/pioneer. I also have a SSB Heathkit HW 32, a Swan 350 Transceiver, a solid state Kenwood HF Transceiver, 6 Baofeng UV-5R’s,
For listening in on world communications I have a Heathkit shortwave HR 10 Receiver and a Philco Trans-World All Transistor battery powered short wave.
And a Gnome Dome…

View attachment 347793
First studied to get a license when I was 14, could not stand the code aspect of it.... very annoying noise, went ahead and passed the amateur license when I was 63, few months later got the general (KI5KMS). currently run a TYT TH7800 in my 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 mounted to the roof, been there 3 years now with no issues, if I feel the desire to spray that part of my machine with water I cover with a zip lock bag and spray... once in the last 3 years. Very happy with the radio considering the price. Good luck with your exam!

Biteme

Biteme

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2020
North West New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yous guys is smartr than me. I tried to study that stuff and it’s Greek. Gave up and going the GMRS route.
Bought a GMRS 40 watt radio to use in my Teryx4 that I bought for my grand-kids to drive, programmed some of the local repeaters in to the radio, bit the bullet and bought the government license to operate the radio legally, nice thing about it is the grand-kids can operate the radio legally using my license, throw a GMRS ht in my Pioneer when running with them.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is anyone here a licensed ham operator? If so feel free to share your handles and what you use. I haven’t gotten my license yet , but I am building up my collection for when the SHTF and soon will be studying to get my license. Hamtestonline.com
I just scored a bunch of vehicle and home base antennas and some HD Coaxial cable.
for my mobile unit I just got a Yeasu FTM 6000 dual band VHF, UHF radio for my truck/pioneer. I also have a SSB Heathkit HW 32, a Swan 350 Transceiver, a solid state Kenwood HF Transceiver, 6 Baofeng UV-5R’s,
For listening in on world communications I have a Heathkit shortwave HR 10 Receiver and a Philco Trans-World All Transistor battery powered short wave.
And a Gnome Dome…

View attachment 347793
Congrats on taking the first steps to getting your license. I got my ticket in 1992 and since then gone through periods of active and inactiveness. I ran the local net on the 4th Thursday night for about 8 years before giving up that position and was once the ARRL ARES coordinator for the county I live in.
My advice is get to where you can listen now and learn the lingo and formality of the radio. Tech is nice for opening up the experience to Line of sight transmissions but highly recommend studying for and getting at least your General license - that is really where the fun happens.
I am not very active now on the local nets but I'll still participate in a HF net (Razorback net 3987.5 start 6:00 or 6:30 depending on time of year) and will occasionally do the 13 Colonies contest and Field day.

I have not kept up with the new digital UHF and VHF radios or the SDR HF rigs and figure I'll get back to being more active as I get older.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
145.130 -0.6 MHz 100 for the tone in. LaFollette
147.360 +0.6 MHz 100 tone in LaFollette
444.550 +5 MHz 77 tone in Caryville
These are a couple I keep in my radio for the T.O.

Try Repeaterbook.com for others
I use Rfinder app quite a bit as it shows a pretty accurate list of repeaters and will map them - use when going into specific areas. I loaded up a lot of the local repeaters in TN when i went there last but done know if I even tried to listen to them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!