P1000 Hardware to install skid plate

K

Kelldog

Dec 2, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Why are the self tapping screws frowned ? Would stainless self tappers make a difference? How about stainless pop rivets with a 1/4 inch diameter

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stainless hardware is typically very soft.
Some guys like to use rivnuts. But I am not a fan of them in round tubing.
I have m6 weldnuts for my offseason repairs.

I plan to tack these in when I do my once over for the off season.
I am planing on use these bolts to attach to the above nuts.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Why are the self tapping screws frowned ? Would stainless self tappers make a difference? How about stainless pop rivets with a 1/4 inch diameter
I didn't like the idea of self tappers but haven't had any problems with them in 8k miles, just don't overtighten when installing them. But I don't remove my skid for maintenance like some guys do. If any strip, I'll replace them with weld nuts (one at a time, not all at once).

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Stainless hardware is typically very soft.
Some guys like to use rivnuts. But I am not a fan of them in round tubing.
I have m6 weldnuts for my offseason repairs.
View attachment 349562
I plan to tack these in when I do my once over for the off season.
I am planing on use these bolts to attach to the above nuts.

View attachment 349563
Stainless hardware is softer, when ever I switch to it I usually upsize a bit to compensate, and I always use antisieze cuz stainless likes to gall.
McMaster is the place for ALL your needs, and anyone living in NeOhio can do willcall and pick it up shortly after.

Reactions: CID and Remington
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stainless hardware is softer, when ever I switch to it I usually upsize a bit to compensate, and I always use antisieze cuz stainless likes to gall.
McMaster is the place for ALL your needs, and anyone living in NeOhio can do willcall and pick it up shortly after.
I get early AM delivery from them. I typically have my order tomorrow morning when I walk into work.

• Love
Reactions: CID and Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!