P700 Has anyone done a steering rack adjustment on one of these?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Anybody ever adjusted the steering rack on one of these?

My left hand side has what I'd consider too much vertical play, and pulling the boot reveals it is the rack itself. The other end has a touch but no biggie in my experience. Looks like the adjustment procedure might take some of that out, but i don't know. When racks go bad in cars at the shop, you replace them.

My 1st 700 was an anvil. It had a touch, like the right side does now...but nothing like what I'm getting on the left. That was almost 9000 miles. I've been wondering if this machine (which appeared from the start to be noticeably worse in build quality) would last as well. I just rolled over 2000 miles, and while it's been used, it hasn't been abused. And quite frankly, I'm a little surprised to see this.

A new rack is like $327 from RMATV...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
There is a little $5 piece of white plastic shim that can be replaced and an adjustment bolt that is a PITA to get to that will probably remedy this. Pretty sure member @joeymt33 did a repair post / video with pictures a couple of years ago. Will try to find and add link below in another post.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Check out this post and the very next one he did in that same thread. Good luck.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
There is a little $5 piece of white plastic shim that can be replaced and an adjustment bolt that is a PITA to get to that will probably remedy this. Pretty sure member @joeymt33 did a repair post / video with pictures a couple of years ago. Will try to find and add link below in another post.

Check out this post and the very next one he did in that same thread. Good luck.

Thanks!

Looking at the parts fiche, the bushing is actually on the right side, so I don't know if that would do much, but I'm going to try the adjustment. Like you said, PITA to get to.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Adjustment made little difference, as I feared would be the case. Getting it tight enough to reduce the movement results in binding near the ends of lock.

Best video I could get after the adjustment...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I had the same results with p1k. What I felt was good adjustment lead to binding. I gave up and replaced it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had the same results with p1k. What I felt was good adjustment lead to binding. I gave up and replaced it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Honestly, I'll probably run it until the "summer break" and just keep an eye on it. Do it then.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Fun fact: Looks like the 500 and 700 have the same rack.

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Adjustment made little difference, as I feared would be the case. Getting it tight enough to reduce the movement results in binding near the ends of lock.

Best video I could get after the adjustment...

Fun fact: Looks like the 500 and 700 have the same rack.
We are working on the 500 rack not! WE have had a big request from some groups

looking at your video it looks like your internals are wore out and check the bushing on the end.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
We are working on the 500 rack not! WE have had a big request from some groups

looking at your video it looks like your internals are wore out and check the bushing on the end.
"Not" or now?

There is no bushing shown (or seen) on the parts fische on the left side. It's odd...seems largely unsupported on that side. The other side does have one, but that side is pretty tight.

Screenshot 20210525 215630

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Not" or now?

There is no bushing shown (or seen) on the parts fische on the left side. It's odd...seems largely unsupported on that side. The other side does have one, but that side is pretty tight.

View attachment 273943
the 1000 were the same way only supported on one end with a plastic bushing. we took them out and replaced with one on each end with an oil embedded bushings. the

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
the 1000 were the same way only supported on one end with a plastic bushing. we took them out and replaced with one on each end with an oil embedded bushings. the
So what's the ETA on the 500 rack?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!