P1000 Has Anyone Put A Talon Engine & DCT In A Pionner 1000??

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If my old and fading brain remembers correctly, the Talon 1000 cc engine is rated @ 104 hp while the Pioneer 1000 is rated @ 74 hp. The Talon accelerates a lot harder than a Pioneer and has higher gearing. The Talon has a top speed of close to 75 while the Pioneer reaches about 65 mph.

The two vehicles use the same basic 1000cc block as far as I can tell but probably have a different compression ratio, different camshaft and bigger injectors.

I'd love to swap a Talon engine into my Pioneer. Someone, somewhere, must have done it.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I wasn't aware that others had done that. Is the Talon camshaft & ECU the only difference? Wouldn't Talon injectors be required also?

Do you have any idea what the parts would cost?

If I knew a Honda tech-engine expert who lives fairly close to me and is capable of swapping the parts I would be willing to pay him to upgrade my Pioneer.

If a Honda tech not too far from Southern WV reads this and is interested please pm me.

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Throttle bodies are also bigger. Other internal differences, but those may not matter unless your adding power.
Can a talon throttle body also be used on a pioneer? I'm interested in doing a cam and ECU swap on mine if it makes more power. I would like to have the power of a talon but I need to have the dump bed and utility of the pioneer. Has anyone done the cam swap with dyno measurements before and after?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The parts list is becoming expensive and drivability issues could result if all the differences are not included.

If a complete used Talon engine and transmission could be found and purchased it would provide the advantage of a complete package of factory parts.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The parts list is becoming expensive and drivability issues could result if all the differences are not included.

If a complete used Talon engine and transmission could be found and purchased it would provide the advantage of a complete package of factory parts.
Slowpoke posted an ebay link for a used Talon engine, they wanted almost $8000 dollars for it. :eek:

For your street use, it could be a fun ride but I don't think the Pioneer's chassis/suspension would do well with 30 more HP off road - it would take a lot of discipline to keep from overdriving it. :oops: I know the Talon's suspension has saved my bacon on more than one occasion and I'm not some testosterone charged Ricky Racer. #oleguy

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yeah, I agree. $8,000 plus labor and unanticipated small parts would be a big price to pay for a little fun. Any components not designed for the added torque and acceleration of the Talon might break as well.

If it could be done for maybe $2500 - $3000 I might be foolish enough but $8k+ t0 break a part is not justifiable.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
It can be done. :cool:
Talon sub trans front out put shaft is different, you have to run Pioneer sub trans if you pull a dial pin out, you can bolt the Pioneer subtrans on a Talon Motor.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!