Has anyone welded on their Talon?

Sledder

Sledder

May 8, 2022
Washington Stat
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
The two square cross members under the engine that the passenger side motor mount is bolted to are trashed and I want to replace them. Has anyone TIG or MIG welded on their Talon. If so did you only remove the battery leads?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The two square cross members under the engine that the passenger side motor mount is bolted to are trashed and I want to replace them. Has anyone TIG or MIG welded on their Talon. If so did you only remove the battery leads?
I did on my driveshaft on my Talon and when I chopped my top on my Pioneer Both MIG and I didnt disconnect the batt cables.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
One more thing, when you say driveshaft are you talking about tacking the universal joint caps? I heard the clips fail.
The clips fail because the caps aren’t tight enough in their bores, so they can ‘wiggle’ which destroys the clips. A BIG quality FU by Honda that they haven’t addressed. :mad: PaulF figured this out for us. 👍 The Talon driveshaft issues thread is linked somewhere in - New Talon Owners - First Things to Know and Check. NTO is linked in my sig or stickied in the General Talon 1000 Discussion forum if you want to read up on it.

If you decide to weld your caps BE SURE to move the ground clamp when doing the opposite corners of the u-joint. If you leave it connected to the driveshaft OR yolk, you’ll be sending welding current through the u-joint bearings which will surely leave arc tracking all over them. You won’t be able to see the damage because it’s inside the caps, but you can bet yer low hanging twins that it IS HAPPENING. :oops:

Reactions: ODAMO
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
One more thing, when you say driveshaft are you talking about tacking the universal joint caps? I heard the clips fail.
Yup, like mentioned above.

Reactions: Smittyp
Sledder

Sledder

May 8, 2022
Washington Stat
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
The clips fail because the caps aren’t tight enough in their bores, so they can ‘wiggle’ which destroys the clips. A BIG quality FU by Honda that they haven’t addressed. :mad: PaulF figured this out for us. 👍 The Talon driveshaft issues thread is linked somewhere in - New Talon Owners - First Things to Know and Check. NTO is linked in my sig or stickied in the General Talon 1000 Discussion forum if you want to read up on it.

If you decide to weld your caps BE SURE to move the ground clamp when doing the opposite corners of the u-joint. If you leave it connected to the driveshaft OR yolk, you’ll be sending welding current through the u-joint bearings which will surely leave arc tracking all over them. You won’t be able to see the damage because it’s inside the caps, but you can bet yer low hanging twins that it IS HAPPENING. :oops:
Okay and thanks, l really like this place.

Smittyp

Smittyp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 3, 2020
Morgan co. Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Welding is what do for a job. If I’m welding on any equipment I disconnect the battery. You may get away with out disconnecting the battery. But that one time you don’t it’s BIG $$$$$

cshluver

cshluver

May 30, 2019
Loveland CO
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you drive your Honda, you're gonna need to weld on it.
As you can see by the pics of my broken frame at the sway bar mounts.
I welded tubing over the break plus fashioned a gusset for strength.

I have some gusset's available for those of you need some additional support.

Why wouldn't you take the little bit of time to disconnect the battery ?

Frame break Gusset

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I JUST finished some frame repair on mine. I never had the need to weld on a vehicle and asked a friend who does a ton of custom car work. He said to take the terminals off the battery and if you have access to the PCM/ECM (computer) and the plug is easily removable, for extra peace of mind you can remove that too. A neighbor of mine burned his truck down because he was welding tabs on his F-150 for home made running boards.

My welding was the front lower control arm. I buzzed the paint off the bottom of the frame to get good contact with my ground clamp, and everything worked just fine! I made sure to fin the closest place to my welds to clamp, and made sure it was between my closest frame ground and weld. Sprayed it with some black automotive paint and then put a heat gun to it. Only because it was 27* when I was doing my repairs.
922DBAAE FFF1 4DD0 B9F5 CCBA40471919

Reactions: Smitty335
cshluver

cshluver

May 30, 2019
Loveland CO
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ouch!!! seeing this makes me happy that I bought Super ATV's frame stiffener.
just replaced my front propeller shaft for the second time, used oem, that I welded washers over the cups, however I just found out that Rhino makes a shaft with cv joints. wish I had done that instead.

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ouch!!! seeing this makes me happy that I bought Super ATV's frame stiffener.
just replaced my front propeller shaft for the second time, used oem, that I welded washers over the cups, however I just found out that Rhino makes a shaft with cv joints. wish I had done that instead.
My whole story is in the 1000-5 thread. I have no idea what happened to it. It was a COPART purchase.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!