P500 Hauling in a pickup truck

E

ERICSCHEIBE

Jun 11, 2019
MINNEAPOLIS
Ownership

1. 500
In a pinch has anyone ever had to haul their P500 in the back of a Chevy Colorado? Getting my options together if I have a breakdown.

Reactions: Biteme
Arctosman

Arctosman

May 31, 2020
Woodinville, WA
Ownership

1. 500
No, I haven't tried that. What are the box dimensions of your Colorado? width and length should tell you whether it has a chance of fitting...or you could just get out your ramps and run it up into your Colorado box and try it.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't put it in my truck bed as of yet, but I have a 5'x8' trailer and it is tight on that so I have to believe it is going to be a tight squeeze to get the tailgate closed on the pickup.

T

TypeM

Apr 8, 2020
Atlanta
Ownership

1. 500
When I purchased my Pioneer 500, I hauled it about 750 miles in the back of a standard F150 truck bed. The interior dimensions are 50 inch wide by 79 inches long, not counting the tailgate. I had to lower the tailgate and put it in backwards to ease the load on the tailgate, but it fit and was easy to haul.

4vK1uEw
DBD2wL7
CGXDtfW

T

TypeM

Apr 8, 2020
Atlanta
Ownership

1. 500
I think the largest issue would be the distance between the wheel wells. The F150 was 50 inches between the wheel wells, so it went in like a glove. I am not sure the width of the Colorado, but that would be the concern to me. Also, I would get reinforcements for the tailgate cables to make sure it can hold the half ton weight of the P500.

Arctosman

Arctosman

May 31, 2020
Woodinville, WA
Ownership

1. 500
I found cargo box width between wheel housings for Chevy Colorado is 44.40" and 57.80" box width at floor. It didn't give tailgate width.

I think TypeM nailed it, the distance between wheel wells looks like it will cause you grief on your mid-sized Colorado truckl

M

MacGyver

Dec 27, 2018
Nw Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
In a pinch has anyone ever had to haul their P500 in the back of a Chevy Colorado? Getting my options together if I have a breakdown.

I think if you have a breakdown it'll be on the Colorado before the Pioneer! But have no fear, I'm sure the Pioneer can pull it home for you! 🤣
Honestly tho, I have Canyon with a longbox and it might actually fit (definitely not between wheel wells) but I haven't actually tried. I also thought about building a deck above the wheel wells. The tailgate opening is 52". It would definitely need some tailgate support as well.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You'll definitely have to drive onto the wheel wells, which is easy to do. The problem will be how much room is in front of the wheel wells, you'll probably go through the back window. Towing with it on top of the wells would suck. Either way the ass end will be on the tailgate, DG makes tailgate supports.

Arctosman

Arctosman

May 31, 2020
Woodinville, WA
Ownership

1. 500
I have a question for you experienced members...
I am a retiree and I haul a travel trailer behind my full sized Silverado truck with an 8' box. Can I haul a factory stock P500 in the truck bed and close the tailgate far enough to pull the travel trailer? At 102.6" length the P500 won't allow me to close tailgate.

I have adequate loading ramps and I have purchased a set of DG tailgate supports.

Would this work for me?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yes and DG makes shorter supports for a partially closed tailgate. Just keep an eye when making the first tight turn, if you had to you can get a hitch extension.

advertisement
500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I am a retiree and I haul a travel trailer behind my full sized Silverado truck with an 8' box. Can I haul a factory stock P500 in the truck bed and close the tailgate far enough to pull the travel trailer? At 102.6" length the P500 won't allow me to close tailgate.

I have adequate loading ramps and I have purchased a set of DG tailgate supports.

Would this work for me?
It should work. This is what it looks like in a dodge 8ft bed.
C323FBB2 93B4 4F16 9D2C CBEEE1E02C0B

Reactions: KYhillbilly
CaboJim

CaboJim

Nov 1, 2018
Washougal WA
Ownership

1. 500
When I brought mine home from the dealer, they pulled the front bumper off so we could close the tailgate. Four bolts. F350 8 foot bed.

Reactions: 500oneer
R

Rustell

Would this work for me?
Watch your payload capacity... 1100 lbs in the bed plus your trailer tongue weight and anything else in your truck.

Arctosman

Arctosman

May 31, 2020
Woodinville, WA
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks guys for great info and tips! This forum is great.
I do have the DG short, med and long tailgate supports already.

Reactions: trigger
Arctosman

Arctosman

May 31, 2020
Woodinville, WA
Ownership

1. 500
Payload! Hmmmm....I hadn't really thought of that.

I have been carrying Polaris Sportsman X2(800 lbs.) in truck bed and towing travel trailer with weight distribution hitch
IMG 2493

for couple years without any issues, but P500 is going to be heavier by +300 lbs or so. I will run over some scales to see what my actual axle loads are.
Thanks for your input.

Reactions: 500oneer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!