P500 Have you seen this video? Reminds me pre-election debates, except just one site bash with sh..t

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
why does Polaris compare to deferent UTV against one pioneer on the 1000 the test should be one on one not two on one so do I have to buy two Polaris to beat the pioneer 1000 it would take to much money for me. Polaris needs to redo there test and get it right.
It makes it a better comparison for their needs. Anyone can compare the turd and the toilet paper used to clean it up if enough people believe it.

Reactions: Eltobgi
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
It makes it a better comparison for their needs. Anyone can compare the turd and the toilet paper used to clean it up if enough people believe it.
I take it....
monte's the TURD

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'll say this though Monte I wouldn't actually believe too many people that claim that kind of luck on a Polaris but I do believe you as a man with integrity that would give an accurate account either way. If you had terrible luck you'd report it and never return to the brand so I've never tried to discredit you because of that. You are the guy with a million mile Jaguar for sure! That's pretty cool actually! im damn curious what kind of miles the 500 & 700 will get you in your hand. You my friend are a magic man!!
Hahaha you're funny CP. you're right though, I don't sell Polaris or supply the company with parts, or conduct their advertising, don't even have stock in the company and so I have no motivation to be misleading. Hell, it would be a lot easier to join the roar on this forum against Polaris than to continue to be the guy in the corner that raises his hand and says he's had a good one with the shrug of the shoulders. Thanks for the endorsement on that CP.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'll say this though Monte I wouldn't actually believe too many people that claim that kind of luck on a Polaris but I do believe you as a man with integrity that would give an accurate account either way. If you had terrible luck you'd report it and never return to the brand so I've never tried to discredit you because of that. You are the guy with a million mile Jaguar for sure! That's pretty cool actually! im damn curious what kind of miles the 500 & 700 will get you in your hand. You my friend are a magic man!!
Oh, btw CP, surely it's been evident in the vast majority of my posts that I love the P5, I've spent a lot of time and money tricking mine out, and have repeatedly stated that I believe it to be the ultimate trail machine. And, when I needed another SxS for my New Mexico property, I could have bought anything, Polaris, CanAm, Yamaha, etc., etc. I bought the Honda 700 as I'm very fond of the brand. And, what if there was only one good Polaris ever made!!!!;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Oh, btw CP, surely it's been evident in the vast majority of my posts that I love the P5, I've spent a lot of time and money tricking mine out, and have repeatedly stated that I believe it to be the ultimate trail machine. And, when I needed another SxS for my New Mexico property, I could have bought anything, Polaris, CanAm, Yamaha, etc., etc. I bought the Honda 700 as I'm very fond of the brand. And, what if there was only one good Polaris ever made!!!!;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rocmar
gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Two things I hadn't seen anyone mention yet:
1. They said the Ranger 500 had more power at the crank and showed the machine on the dyno but didn't offer power at the wheels like they did on the 1000 comparison. My guess is the P500 is putting more power to the ground than the Ranger 500.

2. No comparison of the obstacle course for the 1000s. I'm guessing the P1000 would match or outperform the Ranger on the obstacle course that the P500 failed so miserably at. Polaris said it was smoothest riding but could only blame the back seats on the Pioneer, no actual ride performance.

I laugh when different manufacturers make fun of the atv rack on the P5. I like the bed I made for my P5 better than any UTV on the market. Its made out of aluminum as opposed to plastic. I could have made it dump but I have no need for a tiny dumping bed. That is the only potential shortfall of my setup compared to a typical UTV.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There was also the "faster to 40" with the 1000. What happens after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and sharp
advertisement
H

HondaTech

If Polaris made a good enough SXS they wouldn't have to make these videos, they sell themselves. But everyone is opening their eyes now that Big Red is in the mix and figuring out that they've been buying junk for the last 6 or 7 years.
My Honda rep told us while testing the P1K, they used a 900 Ranger. They hooked the two back to back and the P1K smoked the belt in the Ranger, they thought for sure the unit had caught fire(which wouldn't surprise me tbh). So Polaris and everyone else for that matter is on watch to see what Honda is coming up with.

Ive also seen videos like this from Yamaha about the 420 Rancher. They talk about taking your hand off the bar to shift into reverse and 4wd. But don't you have tyo remove your hand from the bars to shift the grizzly into reverse as well? I've ridden Hondas over the past 8 years and I can get one in reverse before they've even thought about moving their shift lever. Don't even get me started on everyone's "true" engine braking that doesn't exist with a belt.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If Polaris made a good enough SXS they wouldn't have to make these videos, they sell themselves. But everyone is opening their eyes now that Big Red is in the mix and figuring out that they've been buying junk for the last 6 or 7 years.
My Honda rep told us while testing the P1K, they used a 900 Ranger. They hooked the two back to back and the P1K smoked the belt in the Ranger, they thought for sure the unit had caught fire(which wouldn't surprise me tbh). So Polaris and everyone else for that matter is on watch to see what Honda is coming up with.

Ive also seen videos like this from Yamaha about the 420 Rancher. They talk about taking your hand off the bar to shift into reverse and 4wd. But don't you have tyo remove your hand from the bars to shift the grizzly into reverse as well? I've ridden Hondas over the past 8 years and I can get one in reverse before they've even thought about moving their shift lever. Don't even get me started on everyone's "true" engine braking that doesn't exist with a belt.
No, there's no engine breaking on the Ranger. In fact, if you don't keep your foot into the gas on a moderate down hill decent, it will go into free wheeling somehow, as though you put it into neutral. I know my 700 isn't belt driven, but I had to ride my breaks constantly down hill on the trail also. Very annoying to me after 2,000 miles on the P5 and almost never using breaks. I'm thinking I'll go through linings on the P7 at much quicker intervals than on the P5. The 17 model P7 with paddle shift mode is no doubt an improvement.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
No, there's no engine breaking on the Ranger. In fact, if you don't keep your foot into the gas on a moderate down hill decent, it will go into free wheeling somehow, as though you put it into neutral. I know my 700 isn't belt driven, but I had to ride my breaks constantly down hill on the trail also. Very annoying to me after 2,000 miles on the P5 and almost never using breaks. I'm thinking I'll go through linings on the P7 at much quicker intervals than on the P5. The 17 model P7 with paddle shift mode is no doubt an improvement.
You might be surprised.... My friends 700 has over 2200 miles. Original brake pads, and they actually still look very good. I was amazed.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You might be surprised.... My friends 700 has over 2200 miles. Original brake pads, and they actually still look very good. I was amazed.
I would expect them to get at least that. My Ranger has 5K with the the original linings. I rarely use the breaks on the P5, even slowing down by down shifting and of course loping down a very steep trail in low. Unless the P5's OEM linings are thinner than the P7's or unless the OEM's on the P5 are just an inferior product than what Honda puts on the 700, it's inconceivable to me that they wouldn't provide a longer life. Seems like you changed yours out already, I thought 800 miles was unreasonable. I'm more than double that on mine with gobs of lining left.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I would expect them to get at least that. My Ranger has 5K with the the original linings. I rarely use the breaks on the P5, even slowing down by down shifting and of course loping down a very steep trail in low. Unless the P5's OEM linings are thinner than the P7's or unless the OEM's on the P5 are just an inferior product than what Honda puts on the 700, it's inconceivable to me that they wouldn't provide a longer life. Seems like you changed yours out already, I thought 800 miles was unreasonable. I'm more than double that on mine with gobs of lining left.
I ride pretty aggressively, and I do use the brakes. And the road that I travel almost daily is a very steep hill, with a stop sign halfway down. Sometimes I tow a trailer up and down that hill, and heavy braking is necessary. I'm usually in a hurry, so I accelerate and decelerate quickly. I'm sure that all has something to do with it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I thought the 700 was pretty good for braking with the r's up. Not like the 1000 but way better then previous sxs's. We rode ours real aggressively and brakes were great at 2700.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Actually, the '17 P700 won't be any improvement in engine breaking. When you're going down a hill on your pioneer 700, it's already in first gear so having a paddle shifter won't give you any more engine breaking.

It's just geared to high. It holds itself back better than being in neutral but still not enough in my opinion.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I ride pretty aggressively, and I do use the brakes. And the road that I travel almost daily is a very steep hill, with a stop sign halfway down. Sometimes I tow a trailer up and down that hill, and heavy braking is necessary. I'm usually in a hurry, so I accelerate and decelerate quickly. I'm sure that all has something to do with it.
Probably so.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

In a polite way to say....
your a crazy f*** ing
Driver....
hahaha

Reactions: ehart814
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Actually, the '17 P700 won't be any improvement in engine breaking. When you're going down a hill on your pioneer 700, it's already in first gear so having a paddle shifter won't give you any more engine breaking.

It's just geared to high. It holds itself back better than being in neutral but still not enough in my opinion.
Well that makes sense on a rough trail that you wouldn't likely be getting out of first gear on. But on a smoother trail that you might want to let it go on a little, but not enough to catch second gear, I can see how the paddle would help. I agree that the gearing is higher, it would be nice to have a shorter gear that you could move the lever to and hold. Like a car that you can pull down to 1.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!