P1000 Header crush rings... To grease or not to grease?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My exhaust header cracked right under the flange. I got a new one and some new copper crush rings. I noticed that Honda factory installed the originals with the seams facing outward. My only question is, there seems to be some debate about using grease when installing the new rings. Some argue that the grease turns to carbon for the perfect final seal, others argue that the grease is only used for holding them in place during assembly, still others argue that the grease lubricates the surfaces during the crushing process while torquing down the nuts making a better seal. Others say to use NO grease or RTV or anything else because it will ruin the catalytic converter. Does anyone know if the Honda factory uses grease (or any other product) to install them? Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welp...no takers on this question so I tried assembling the header to the head and I could not get the crush rings to stay in place (they would fall out as soon as I let them go), so I put two tiny smudges of red tacky bearing grease on opposing sides of the ring surface that faces the head. Worked like a charm and I don't think the cat will receive any burn-off from it. Thanks anyway guys/gals!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!