Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Today I got started on another project for the 700 that Mrs. Tflynn has been wanting for awhile, a passenger grab bar. I have been debating back and forth over a design that I liked for months! The t-handle style is awesome in its function and simplicity, but I just wanted something a little different. Not finished yet but this gives an idea of what it will be-

It attaches with roll bar clamps so it will be removable. The hoop is just as wide as the glovebox so it doesn't interfere with my ram mount or switches and it is not in my line of sight. The only thing I'm wondering is if I'll have to add a t handle extension because she can't reach? After I weld it she'll have to give it a test fit.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Very nice work @Tflynn. I really like the looks of that rid it's weird to see how much differently it looks because of everything. I'm sure you get some local comments!

Reactions: Tflynn
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just went through your build and wow nice job!! That rear sub cage is the tits man! I'd kill for a tubing bender and notcher. Maybe Santa will bring them one year lol.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank you guys, I appreciate it!

@Delton, I NEVER really like to recommend Harbor freight but that's where I bought the bender and notcher.

12 Ton Hydraulic Pipe Bender

Search results for: 'Pipe notcher'

About $160 for BOTH and these are what I'm currently using. The notcher is pretty good, the bender has some limitations. Although after speaking with d_b I think I'll have better results with the bender using DOM tubing. After you make your first accessory they have paid for themselves!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

@Delton, I NEVER really like to recommend Harbor freight but that's where I bought the bender and notcher.

About $160 for BOTH and these are what I'm currently using. The notcher is pretty good, the bender has some limitations. Although after speaking with d_b I think I'll have better results with the bender using DOM tubing. After you make your first accessory they have paid for themselves!
Thanks I'll look into that. I have one of their metal benders and it works great. But only bends flat stock.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Added some links to post number 7 relating to my build before the "Build Thread"

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Better wear your seat belt! Or you could get an expensive dental bill if you break check when someone isn't paying attention. But it looks great.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

That's very reasonable. I would tend to agree with you about HF, will it bend Sch40 pipe, or just thin wall tubing? And how does a "notcher" work?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
That's very reasonable. I would tend to agree with you about HF, will it bend Sch40 pipe, or just thin wall tubing? And how does a "notcher" work?
I've done considerably more research on tube benders since posting those links, and I have to say I can't really recommend that PIPE bender (yes there's a difference). If you're on a budget, those benders can work but they require some modifications. Search HF pipe bender on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.

To answer your question, that bender actually does better bending thicker Sch40 pipe as opposed to thinner walled pieces. The thin stuff has a tendency to want to flatten and kink as you bend past say 25°. Since I want to build most things out of .120 wall tube (about 1/8") this bender is limiting me on what I want to be able to do. Some guys actually fill the tube with wet sand before they bend it to avoid the pipe flattening on them, I just don't want to have to do that every time!

Tube notchers hold the tube and drill with a hole saw to cut a perfect notch in the end of the tube. My rear cage thread has some good pics of the notchers at work!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've done considerably more research on tube benders since posting those links, and I have to say I can't really recommend that PIPE bender (yes there's a difference). If you're on a budget, those benders can work but they require some modifications. Search HF pipe bender on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.

To answer your question, that bender actually does better bending thicker Sch40 pipe as opposed to thinner walled pieces. The thin stuff has a tendency to want to flatten and kink as you bend past say 25°. Since I want to build most things out of .120 wall tube (about 1/8") this bender is limiting me on what I want to be able to do. Some guys actually fill the tube with wet sand before they bend it to avoid the pipe flattening on them, I just don't want to have to do that every time!

Tube notchers hold the tube and drill with a hole saw to cut a perfect notch in the end of the tube. My rear cage thread has some good pics of the notchers at work!
Oh, thank you for that information T.

Reactions: Tflynn