P500 HEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPP

fester

fester

Apr 22, 2018
Boonevilles, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Just followed the 500 oil change thread (P500 - Honda Pioneer 500 Oil Change Guide), followed it step by step. Put the oil in and checked for leaks and oil was dripping from the bottom of the oil filter cover. I snugged the bolts, but I dont own a torque wrench so I just followed my judgement. I have stopped and unless someone can shed some light plan on taking it to the dealership. ANy sugeestions will help.

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

Just followed the 500 oil change thread (P500 - Honda Pioneer 500 Oil Change Guide), followed it step by step. Put the oil in and checked for leaks and oil was dripping from the bottom of the oil filter cover. I snugged the bolts, but I dont own a torque wrench so I just followed my judgement. I have stopped and unless someone can shed some light plan on taking it to the dealership. ANy sugeestions will help.
Did you make sure the o-rings didn't fall out.........very easy to lose them or pinch them !

Parts 27 and 28

2015 Honda Pioneer 500 (SXS500M 2AC) FRONT CRANKCASE COVER | Honda Parts King

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
A "good and snug" tight on the bolts should be good.
If its seated correctly even a light tightness will stop a oil leak unless something is wrong. As mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
fester

fester

Apr 22, 2018
Boonevilles, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I checked and didnt see any o rings laying around. I honestly dont remember. Kit didn't come with gaskets so I kept the old ones in place. I think this is a mater of being safe rather than sorry. Gonna cost me but in the long haul for the best.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Can a 500 be propped on its side to prevent oil loses?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Had the same leak on first change, took cover off and found the #3 o ring had fallen off onto skid plate, hard to see on black surface. Next time I go to dealer, will only be to buy some spare o-rings. Good luck, bet you can handle it Ok.

0D91650F FC56 469F 99A1 95C424BA8010

Last edited:
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500

no, if i remember correctly the oil filter is on the passenger side and the crank case vent is on the drivers side. So if you tip it to far onto the drivers side you fill the air intake full of oil. Trust me i know, my son tipped mine over and i filled the cylinder full of oil.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
no, if i remember correctly the oil filter is on the passenger side and the crank case vent is on the drivers side. So if you tip it to far onto the drivers side you fill the air intake full of oil. Trust me i know, my son tipped mine over and i filled the cylinder full of oil.
Noted.
Thanks.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Most definitely the O ring(s) causing the leak. That little one tries to fall out on me every time, and I have cut the big one before being careless and hamfisted not just on the P500 but on my Rincons going back to 2006 - same cover, filter, & O ring design.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Most definitely the O ring(s) causing the leak. That little one tries to fall out on me every time, and I have cut the big one before being careless and hamfisted not just on the P500 but on my Rincons going back to 2006 - same cover, filter, & O ring design.
agree, had a rancher forever and same design, have to make sure they are both in the correct place.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

The oil loss will be minimal taking the cover back off, a few ounces at most, the filter is at the top of the crankcase. I suggest pulling the cover and looking for O-rings. It will make a little mess but nothing a few paper towels can't handle.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
O rings all the way baby .
Don't worry about the oil . Drain it in a clean container so you can put it back in . Pull the cover fix the o ring issue (bet u 25 cents thats the probelm) reassemble be sure there correct and DONT OVER TIGHTEN THE BOLTS . Put in half the oil and see you now have no leak , smile and filler up .

fester

fester

Apr 22, 2018
Boonevilles, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Update: First thanks to all that responded. I owe Huck .25cent. Larger gasket got pinched. Hopefully the local honda dealership has them in stock. Next and hopefully last question. What is the trick to putting the cover back on without damaging the gasket? Oil it up real good? I don't really have a good place to work on it so getting at it is from the top only.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Thanks for update @fester . I always pre oil o rings and hand press cover to seat, then alternate turning bolts just a little each time. Murphys law always creeps in with me, bet you should have no problems 2nd time around knowing now how it fits together. Definately got my attention when I had my first leak, “I broke it!”, same feeling when over adjusting the clutch, a little turn does a lot. LOL

Last edited:
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Update: First thanks to all that responded. I owe Huck .25cent. Larger gasket got pinched. Hopefully the local honda dealership has them in stock. Next and hopefully last question. What is the trick to putting the cover back on without damaging the gasket? Oil it up real good? I don't really have a good place to work on it so getting at it is from the top only.
Invest the quarter you owe me in the oil you lost . lol

M

Maxfarmer

Nov 15, 2020
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
Why don’t they go with screw on filter for peaks sake! Wondering if I should even try looks like a pain and you have to take passenger seat and thinks off to change! How much is switch to synthetic at dealer doing 100 hour service now ? I did digs that was easy!

M

Maxfarmer

Nov 15, 2020
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
Diffs that is they easy and fun! Thanks in advance!

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500

no because if you prop on drivers side to get to oil filter the crankcase vent will pour oil into air filter box. Trust me I know I flopped it over and hydro locked with oil.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!