P1000 Help between 700 & 1000

D

Dmaxxx

Dec 20, 2016
In the woods
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I posted this in the 700 forum also so i hope thats ok but, I'm going to be getting a pioneer in a few days but I keep going back and forth between the 2. I plan on using either one for farm work such as running cattle, hauling wood, pulling small trailer, hunting rig during hunting season and a little bit of trail riding. Now I had my mind made up on a 17 p700-4 deluxe with the paddle shift then I thought I would want a p1000 then now I get to reading about clutch issues so now I'm confused and i want something dependable.I had a ranger 500 midsize and I sold it and need something to replace it pretty quick.

Reactions: Smitty335
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would go with the 1000, obviously. Rather have more power and not need it than need it and not have it. I've pulled 2500lb 18ft trailers with mine without issues. Not sure if the 700 could do the same. I also use mine for deer and duck hunting and it is perfect for both in my opinion. I like being able to use manual mode and put it Low/6th or 5th gear and creep through the woods at 10mph but with very little revving to keep it quiet.

Reactions: QuadMan747 and JTW
J

JTW

I bought the 1000-5 deluxe for very similar reasons.. mine will be more geared towards trails but initial impressions are that I'm going to be very happy. I too was concerned with the clutches but I think it will be fine.. seems like there are some fixes coming about if it's really anything more than isolated incidents. Change the air intake location.. and maybe a bilge fan under the seat for summer heat. Also, the dump bed isn't fantastic with its leverage on the gas piston but I'll use the tractor if I'm hauling too much. Those are the issues with the 1000. There are easy and cheap fixes available for the intake and seat heat.. clutch issues seem to be so irregular that IF I have an issue.. which seems to be somewhat limited and if I'm aware that most issues seem to be happening in reverse when folks try to ease on it rather than giving it gas when backing up a bad hill or with a load.. then I should be ok. In the mean time Honda appears to be narrowing on a fix. You've got a year warranty.. drive it like you stole it and if you have a problem take it in.

Reactions: Eltobgi
QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I would go with the 1000, obviously. Rather have more power and not need it than need it and not have it. I've pulled 2500lb 18ft trailers with mine without issues. Not sure if the 700 could do the same. I also use mine for deer and duck hunting and it is perfect for both in my opinion. I like being able to use manual mode and put it Low/6th or 5th gear and creep through the woods at 10mph but with very little revving to keep it quiet.
I kind of want a 1000 myself for the power, but the Pioneer 700 can pull a bunch. My little Kubota is about 2000 and the trailer another 1200ish. I pulled this up and down hills with no issues, HOWEVER it is rated at on 1500lbs towing I believe.

20141020 181248

Reactions: amc019 and JTW
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
The 700 is a bullet proof machine. Could it use more power? Sure... However, there are no clutch issues to deal with, easier maintenance, and less overall stuff to be worried about. The new paddle shifters on the 2017 will be a nice upgrade. I definitely wish I had it on my 2016. There are times I wish I had the extra power but I will say, there has yet to be a hill I couldn't climb. I may get there a little slower but if I put it in 4 lock it goes wherever I point it. Ultimately there are drawbacks on both machines. Just pick the ones you can live with...

Reactions: sharp and JTW
D

Dmaxxx

Dec 20, 2016
In the woods
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
thanks guys, I'm still not sure what i'm going to get I want the power but I want reliability and I think reliability out weighs everything to me. one more thing you guys with a 5 seater does the roll cage get in your way as far as using the bed for loading and unloading things and carrying deer? I have a couple of kids and it would be nice to have the extra seating for them but if its going to be a pain to use then I will stick with regular seating.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
thanks guys, I'm still not sure what i'm going to get I want the power but I want reliability and I think reliability out weighs everything to me. one more thing you guys with a 5 seater does the roll cage get in your way as far as using the bed for loading and unloading things and carrying deer? I have a couple of kids and it would be nice to have the extra seating for them but if its going to be a pain to use then I will stick with regular seating.
I can't speak for the 5 since I have the 4. However, I will say get the extra room. The bed on these things are really nice to have. I love the 4 seater versatility and extra bed room if we need it. I've never noticed the cage getting in my way at all.

Reactions: QuadMan747
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The rear bar is kind or cumbersome and in the way sometimes, but I wouldn't trade for one with no seats. I have 2 small kids and we put them car seats and all and I don't worry about them. The rear section is removeable and I have actually seen some pics of it removed to make it easier. You can look at the rear bar different ways. Actually hauling hay and wood, after you get around it, it helps to hold everything in. These year I actually stole someones idea on here and ran my winch line over the top bars and loaded a whole cow elk in the back of my 700. Easiest elk I've loaded in a while.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Pioneer 1000:

-Faster
-More power
-Actual engine braking
-Turf mode
-Bigger
-Better shocks

Pioneer 700:

-Mature transmission design (actually Honda Rincon/Big Red transmission)
-Cheaper
-Better for going slow/creeping

I chose the P1000 mainly because I live and ride in hilly areas and I hated the fact that my Honda Rincon had for all intents and purposes no engine braking and at the time I got mine no manual shift on the P700.

Definitely go for the multi seat version. The back bar can get in the way, but I used mine a few weeks ago for collecting leaves and such and loaded it from both the side and the back and it didn't get in the way as much as I thought it would. Plus, like mentioned above, you can always take the rear bars off but you can't just add the additional seats. Those additional seats come in handy way more than you are envisioning now.

If you go with the multi seat version, make sure you look at getting the molded bed liner, it does an excellent job of keeping dirt/acorns/trash from getting in the seat mechanisms.

Reactions: tjoreo
D

Dmaxxx

Dec 20, 2016
In the woods
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
These year I actually stole someones idea on here and ran my winch line over the top bars and loaded a whole cow elk in the back of my 700. Easiest elk I've loaded in a while.
now that's a cool idea and would have never thought of that.

D

Dmaxxx

Dec 20, 2016
In the woods
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
so if I'm driving around in the 1000 just checking the cows or driving through the woods slowly like 10mph is that what burns the clutch up or can I just simply use low gear and all will be fine, also if you use reverse slowly then that causes a problem too, am I right on this?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
now that's a cool idea and would have never thought of that.
I hadn't though of it either but I think solrus started a thread about loading game in you rig. Worked very well. The rear bars even helped hold her in.

20161103 155003

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
so if I'm driving around in the 1000 just checking the cows or driving through the woods slowly like 10mph is that what burns the clutch up or can I just simply use low gear and all will be fine, also if you use reverse slowly then that causes a problem too, am I right on this?

From what I have gathered, the issue shows up on larger/heavier than stock tires, running in Hi Range in difficult conditions (steep hills, mud, rock crawling, etc), using Reverse going up a steep slope and going very slow less than 3 MPH.

However, it doesn't do this to everyone. There ares some people here that do all of the above and don't have a single problem while others do only one and their clutch is smoked.

I haven't had a clutch problem but mine shudders or "chatters" when starting from a dead stop on a steep hill between 0 and 4 MPH and in reverse just backing into my driveway.

If you are going to be going mostly 10 MPH all the time and not going down steep inclines and don't need turf mode option I would probably lean towards the P700 personally. It is nearly 50% cheaper, has a transmission that has a very long reputation of excellent long term service and has the capability of hauling people in the back as well.

But if you want turf mode (like I did) and want the ability to ease downhill without using brakes (like I did) and want power steering (like I did), go with the P1000 and do things to protect your clutch like not backing up steep hills, transition out of the chatter zone as quickly as possible and use Low Range for everything that is 20 MPH or less and/or hilly areas and save the Hi Range for faster/flatter driving, I think you will be okay. If not, I am pretty confident that Honda will warranty it.

Hopefully they have a fix being implemented now or in the works as that is really the only thing that bothers me about mine. I didn't get a belted unit because I never had one before and I never had to worry about smoking a belt but since I got the Pioneer I drive it like I have a belt because I am worried about damaging the clutch. :rolleyes:o_O

Reactions: tjoreo
D

Dmaxxx

Dec 20, 2016
In the woods
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm going to the dealer in the morning, so choose one 700-4 or 1000-5 remember mostly farm work and hunting

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm going to the dealer in the morning, so choose one 700-4 or 1000-5 remember mostly farm work and hunting

The biggest questions-

Do you need turf mode?

Do you need engine braking where you ride?

If you don't want/need those, save $5k or so and get the P700.

Look at some of Scott's videos here:

scottg77r
If this is adequate for your uses, I would save the money and get the transmission that you KNOW won't have clutch issues with.

A lot of his videos have a P1000-5 in it as well going through the same stuff and if you watch them, the P700 does give up anything to the P1000.

I would have gone with the P700 myself if I had not wanted turf mode and real engine braking. They are very good seasoned machines.

Reactions: LandPioneer
CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Get the 1000 , you will not regret it, I had a 700 and it was a great machine, but since I got the 1000, I would not go back for anything. I have nearly 2000 miles of all sort of terrain , from mud, snow, rocks, hills,back roads and no trouble what so ever with the clutches. Plus my grand baby's car seat will fit between my wife and I in the front seat! That's the man reason for me upgrading.

Reactions: JTW
J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the 700 was the same chasis and interior of the 1000, then I say 700. The way they are made, I find the 700 too small up front and much less comfortable. I was in the same boat and went back and forth many times. Finally settled on a 1000 5.

Reactions: JTW and QuadMan747
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thats another thing that's making it hard, right now the price difference between 700-4 deluxe and 100-5 deluxe is 2k and has me leaning toward going big the first time.
Wow $2k is the difference? You're right that is a tough decision!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!