P1000 Help deciding

R

Rnm

Nov 23, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So I have a chance to buy a P1000 3 seater special edition tomorrow. Some have told me since I have always had polaris I will not like how the pioneer transmission runs and that the pioneer is expensive to service. Im not super worried with that but my next problem is my wife hated riding in our polaris ranger. She is hesitant with the pioneer as from pictures she thinks the pioneer bench seat is the same as the ranger. To me it looks a little more bucketed than a ranger. Can anyone confirm or deny this? There are no pioneers in stock where we live for us to see. This 3 seater that is possibly available is 100 miles away and im basically going to have to put a deposit on it when they open. Id like the pioneer for hunting etc but wife is wondering if the yamaha wolverine or rmax is better for trails. Just trying to gather info. But man the P1000 special edition is so sweet looking.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So I have a chance to buy a P1000 3 seater special edition tomorrow. Some have told me since I have always had polaris I will not like how the pioneer transmission runs and that the pioneer is expensive to service. Im not super worried with that but my next problem is my wife hated riding in our polaris ranger. She is hesitant with the pioneer as from pictures she thinks the pioneer bench seat is the same as the ranger. To me it looks a little more bucketed than a ranger. Can anyone confirm or deny this? There are no pioneers in stock where we live for us to see. This 3 seater that is possibly available is 100 miles away and im basically going to have to put a deposit on it when they open. Id like the pioneer for hunting etc but wife is wondering if the yamaha wolverine or rmax is better for trails. Just trying to gather info. But man the P1000 special edition is so sweet looking.
I wish supply was normal and demand not as severe as it is now so you could test all three and make your decision, we've got a 16 P1-5 that we love, I spent thousands to get it how it rides today. I don't know how the Limited comes equipped, probably has the up graded shocks and that's about it as far as suspension goes. I really like ours now and I just bobble along down the trails at a steady pace. I will say, if we didn't have dogs that love to ride and use the P1 for yard work, I would buy the KRX Sport in a heart beat

R

Rnm

Nov 23, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I wish supply was normal and demand not as severe as it is now so you could test all three and make your decision, we've got a 16 P1-5 that we love, I spent thousands to get it how it rides today. I don't know how the Limited comes equipped, probably has the up graded shocks and that's about it as far as suspension goes. I really like ours now and I just bobble along down the trails at a steady pace. I will say, if we didn't have dogs that love to ride and use the P1 for yard work, I would buy the KRX Sport in a heart beat
I hear you. I love that krx but have a small girl so we need room for three.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The reason I like the DCT in the Pioneer and Talon is that I can 'paddle up' anytime I'm just cruising along and don't have to listen to the infernal RPM of a belt drive that's up in the power band All. Effin. Day. :oops: Even being able to do that, I still have to wear ear plugs in the Talon because of the mechanical noise, it's painful to me - hearing loss is permanent and progressive, once gone, it ain't commin' back. I've never ridden in a Pioneer so I can't compare them.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The reason I like the DCT in the Pioneer and Talon is that I can 'paddle up' anytime I'm just cruising along and don't have to listen to the infernal RPM of a belt drive that's up in the power band All. Effin. Day. :oops: Even being able to do that, I still have to wear ear plugs in the Talon because of the mechanical noise, it's painful to me - hearing loss is permanent and progressive, once gone, it ain't commin' back. I've never ridden in a Pioneer so I can't compare them.
The noise is loud in the Pioneer as well, I have hearing aids because of loud noise, protect your hearing!

H

HondaSXS1343

Aug 15, 2020
US

Actually, exactly the opposite for me after owning a Polaris Ranger 1000 xp eps, I enjoyed the switch to the DCT. I find easing into the throttle much easier on the Honda than the Polaris. For me I needed to find more room with a larger family as well. There's a lot of talk about the yamaha, I can attest to riding in the X2 as my father owns one. The yamaha has great maneuverability on trails, I find the cab a bit tight getting in and out of. Try and drive a Yamaha and Pioneer if you can, I know that's tough right now and guys are waiting a long time for machines to come in.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just picked up a new p10005 last week. I know your looking and the 3, but I think the front seat are pretty similar. I actually think they sit good. I'm 6'1and have plenty of room. The wife even likes the way they sit. You don't sit straight up like Polaris. It does take some getting use to on the sounds of the transmission. It is different! Mine will also be mainly a hunting rig/trail riding. I really feel like I bought the best machine for this. Just keep in mind the seat does get a little hot, but there are plenty of mod threads on this site that will take care of that. Hope this helps.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If ride comfort is priority I would probably recommend something other than a pioneer. I Love my pioneer but it fits my needs. I do not think a pioneer seat is comfortable. It is utility based and meant to enter and exit. Not ride for hours on end. I have never owned any other SxS other than my pioneer. On paper I would recommend the Rmax 1000-4 if you need utility and sport combined. It is a wet CVT instead of dry like Polaris and can am. It has a good belt warranty coverage. It also has good towing and bed capacity specs. If I did it over again I would get the R-Max XTR 1000 4 seater. The 1000 came out after my pioneer purchase.

Last edited:
advertisement
R

Rnm

Nov 23, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If ride comfort is priority I would probably recommend something other than a pioneer. I Love my pioneer but it fits my needs. I do not think a pioneer seat is comfortable. It is utility based and meant to enter and exit. Not ride for hours on end. I have never owned any other SxS other than my pioneer. On paper I would recommend the Rmax 1000-4 if you need utility and sport combine. It is a wet CVT instead of dry like Polaris and can am. It has a good belt warranty coverage. It also has good towing and bed capacity specs.
Thanks I actually found an rmax. I really wanted their xtr rmax as the extras are nice but can only find the base model. I am leaning a little that way. For me I think the pioneer will be fine and great for hunting. But for my wifes comfort she likes more sporty seats etc. But just the engine and tranny of this p1000 has me in a whirlwind as I have read so many good reviews.

R

Rnm

Nov 23, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just picked up a new p10005 last week. I know your looking and the 3, but I think the front seat are pretty similar. I actually think they sit good. I'm 6'1and have plenty of room. The wife even likes the way they sit. You don't sit straight up like Polaris. It does take some getting use to on the sounds of the transmission. It is different! Mine will also be mainly a hunting rig/trail riding. I really feel like I bought the best machine for this. Just keep in mind the seat does get a little hot, but there are plenty of mod threads on this site that will take care of that. Hope this helps.
I have read about the heat under the seats. Yes concerning as our summers can get to 90 in mtns of utah. However during hunting season might be nice lol. Im happy to hear about the seats being comfortable. I can gamble and wait till after work tomorrow to get my wife there to sit in it but it will be gone. Literally only found from the dealer they received it by suprise late saturday right at closing. One of those problems where if I do it I need to slap money down at opening tomorrow. But have to say the special edition looks so sweet.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have read about the heat under the seats. Yes concerning as our summers can get to 90 in mtns of utah. However during hunting season might be nice lol. Im happy to hear about the seats. I can gamble and wait till after work tomorrow to get my wife there to sit in it but it will be gone. Literally only found from the dealer they received it by suprise late saturday right at closing. One of those problems where if I do it I need to slap money down at opening tomorrow. But have to say the special edition looks so sweet.
The seat heat is an easy fix, go buy a $ 20.00 fan from Auto Zone Hang it to blow across the headers with toggle switch, that way you you can have heat in the winter, done!

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love my pioneer buy if I had it to do over again I would probably get a General or RZR lol. The pioneer is really good though. I use it daily hauling feed ect. And then I take it down the trails and beat the heck out of it lol

T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks good info. I have read of guys doing this and they say it works better than their aftermarket seal kit
I'm in north Florida and it's been 95 plus lately! All I have is the DEI heat shield kit so far and its not too bad. As long as you have a open or half windshield! That makes a big difference. I will be doing the fan mod as well. The special additions are sweet, but expensive!

D

Dasmoeturhead

If I'm being real honest here your Wife might not approve a P3.
I've always said the pioneer is loud from day one. Mechanically loud.
It gets hot in the cab and seat. I have the Honda roof and split windshield.
I've installed the seat heat shield and 4" bilge blower, and it's still hot in Temps above 80°.
Ok, so that's really the only undesirable traits. I could nit pick, but for Christ sake Man! It's an off road utility vehicle, not a Cadillac. My old pioneer is a 2016 model. Compared to a new one, it's like an old Willis Jeep. No creature comforts, but it will take you places that you didn't think was possible. It will also take you to town with ease. I've got mine tagged, and I take it to town (10 MI round trip) to fuel up, or pick up some groceries. Wouldn't trade mine.

Worse1

Worse1

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the P1K5 Limited Edition, it rocks! It does what I need it to do. I have kids that enjoy riding it as well. Fun for the family and very spacious. It does get a little noisy but I have a stereo system that blocks out most of the noise. Lets get real here, every machine will rattle and make noise, its an off road machine. I live in Arizona and the heat is brutal here, I keep my windshield up when riding during the morning time or later at night. Too hot to ride during the scorching hot summer days. I mainly use the Pioneer for hunting and trail riding. One thing I can tell you is that during the winter season, that heat comes in real handy! Go with your gut on your decision. Hondas and Yamis are good machines, whatever the decision, it will be a good one. Good luck!

Last edited:
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I own the P1K-5 D Lux, I’m 6’3” 240 #’s I have rode this buggy through the mountains of Tennessee for HOURS at a time, it’s not that uncomfortable to me or the wife, I also have the stock DLux shocks, (they suck) the LE has the fox shocks which are waaaayyy better so ride should be more comfortable, best thing to do is make a day trip and take the wife check out the buggy, if it’s a no go, take the wife out to a nice dinner and then buy a Jeep. Good luck in your search.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rnm - hola. I'm a fellow Utah rider and thought I'd add.

I've had a 2021 P1000-5 LE since January and formerly owned a Teryx 4. The Fox shocks on the LE make a big difference in ride comfort. I think they are absolutely worth it and you can always add better shocks later.

The Teryx seats were four great bucket seats. The bench seat on my Pioneer may not be quite as comfortable as the buckets, but I really didn't think about it until reading this thread. The Pioneer seat is comfortable and we've done a few all-day rides. Once again, I think the great shocks are part of the reason.

Our 100 pound Labrador could not ride in the bucket seats of our Teryx. We now open the door, she walks in and steps up to the middle bench seat. We buckle in and she's right there watching or can lay down curled up. We have a dog harness for safety if we're going to be heroic. For the dog, the bench seat is great.

As for the heat, both the Teryx and Pioneer are great for heated seats in winter. You throw an old sleeping bag across your legs and trap the hot air in when it's cold outside. You can certainly feel the heat in the summer and my next add is to install a fan to blow across the headers. We've had a number of long, 90 plus degree rides and you feel the heat from the seat but it hasn't been bad. I've heard it is worse when you are rock crawling or moving slow for long periods of time. Most of our rides in the heat have been at higher speeds.

Hope this helps.

advertisement