ShadowAero

ShadowAero

“Big Tasty”
Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2017
Mount Dora, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got my P1K5 stuck the day after IRMA. Drove right into mud (i swear you couldn't tell) that was about a foot deep. This was only 20 feet off road. I couldn't find the tow hook. Didn't realize it doesn't come with a front factory tow hook. My winch cable broke that was first thing i tried. It hardly even had tension on it but that's a whole other topic. I couldn't figure out where to pull from. I kinda knew not to use bumper but thought it wasn't stuck much. Boy was i wrong. Friend drove his dully 3500 over but he got stuck in small hole with front tire. He only had street tires on.

Long story short eventually, we got really long tow straps and tried to use bumper and bent it.
Then i went inside front to find frame and tied to that and was able to be pulled out.
I couldn't be towed from back due to even more muddy areas.
BIG learning experience. Two problems.
1. What would be best method to bend right side back?
2. Where in the world can you mount Front tow hook(s) that won't tear the front off.
I saw picks where some added them to the front but it doesn't even look as strong as bumper.
IMG 5010

Any ideas?
Chris

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have a factory bumper off of my '16 that you can have if we can figure out how to get it to you.

My EMP bumper has recovery points built in ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: lee and joeymt33
ShadowAero

ShadowAero

“Big Tasty”
Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2017
Mount Dora, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a factory bumper off of my '16 that you can have if we can figure out how to get it to you.

My EMP bumper has recovery points built in ....

Sam,
That is very kind of you. I might be able to arrange something. I'll get back with you in a bit!

Reactions: elkaholic
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mounting some shackles down low on the bumper will be very strong. We have tested this many times as well as many other members have been using them. You do have the option of getting the two bolt shackles which are quite a bit cheaper or the four bolt with the backing plate which should be quite a bit stronger.

3b2b689167ce35992e174145a0b96fd9

Ac006e1930b13a9e0f87ff1970d6098a

These are mounted down low where the bumper attaches and much stronger than hooking near the top of the bumper.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I also have a couple and I'm located in North Alabama. I will be riding with another member located in Florida that may could shuttle it for you depending on how close you guys live.

@knuckledeep

ShadowAero

ShadowAero

“Big Tasty”
Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2017
Mount Dora, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sam,
That is very kind of you. I might be able to arrange something. I'll get back with you in a bit!

I have a long time friend that has to drive from Charlotte to Columbia the weekend after next. Would he be able to pick it up? He'll either ship it to me or hold on to it so i can eventually get it from him. You can email me at [email protected].

I took at look at the EMP Bumpers. WOW they look like something out of Mad Max.
How did you fare with IRMA? I know flooding has been an issue in SC.

Reactions: joeymt33
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
PM inbound ....

ShadowAero

ShadowAero

“Big Tasty”
Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2017
Mount Dora, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also have a couple and I'm located in North Alabama. I will be riding with another member located in Florida that may could shuttle it for you depending on how close you guys live.

@knuckledeep

Knuckledeep lives in Eustis about 10 minutes from me. I'm in Mt Dora.
I love my Honda, and I love this forum with such nice people! I haven't got to really use my side by side much other than a small property near me. I have a two year old and grandparents haven't been able to babysit. Can't wait to take it to the Ocala National forest!

Reactions: Jimmy-AZ
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Knuckledeep lives in Eustis about 10 minutes from me. I'm in Mt Dora.
I love my Honda, and I love this forum with such nice people! I haven't got to really use my side by side much other than a small property near me. I have a two year old and grandparents haven't been able to babysit. Can't wait to take it to the Ocala National forest!

Very cool. I'm glad you feel welcome here, that's what we try to do is make everyone feel welcome.

If you can't make the first deal work out with the bumper, just let me know and I'll try to send one south.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Very cool. I'm glad you feel welcome here, that's what we try to do is make everyone feel welcome.

If you can't make the first deal work out with the bumper, just let me know and I'll try to send one south.

Joey, thinking he wants to work your angle first as it would be more convenient - goferit

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Joey, thinking he wants to work your angle first as it would be more convenient - goferit

Copy that. @ShadowAero, let me know if this is a go. I'll see @knuckledeep next weekend and I planned on taking some spare parts for a swap meet. If he don't mind hauling it south, then it's yours.

ShadowAero

ShadowAero

“Big Tasty”
Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2017
Mount Dora, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mounting some shackles down low on the bumper will be very strong. We have tested this many times as well as many other members have been using them. You do have the option of getting the two bolt shackles which are quite a bit cheaper or the four bolt with the backing plate which should be quite a bit stronger.

View attachment 53965

View attachment 53966

These are mounted down low where the bumper attaches and much stronger than hooking near the top of the bumper.

Joey,
Which d-ring shackles are these that have backing plate? Did you order online? I wouldn't have thought it was strong enough mounted there. I thought something would have to be attached from frame.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is a bad setup for many reasons and an accident waiting to happen.

I agree. Those j-hooks are terrible by design but they should never be mounted vertical.

This was my original tow point
IMG 20170515 184101342

Replaced by a new bumper
IMG 20170911 15531357501

Reactions: urbancoyboyja
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That is a bad setup for many reasons and an accident waiting to happen.

They work great for what I use them for thanks

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They work great for what I use them for thanks

Mounted like that they should never be used for a straight line pull. Besides not having a positive retention method, that style hook will break if overloaded or point loaded at the tip. I would never trust that setup for recovery or recommend it to a fellow rider.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Mounted like that they should never be used for a straight line pull. Besides not having a positive retention method, that style hook will break if overloaded or point loaded at the tip. I would never trust that setup for recovery or recommend it to a fellow rider.
It's not the best setup but the Pioneer could never break them each Hook is rated 10000 lb

Reactions: jawquin
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's not the best setup but the Pioneer could never break them each Hook is rated 10000 lb

Those hooks are rated for 3,333lbs with a load limit of 10,000lbs in a straight line pull. Mounted vertically you induce a bending moment on the hook cross section rather than a purely tensile load. A simple winch and snatch block load hooked on that hook as is could apply 4,500lbs force which exceeds the rating and very likely the actual breaking strength. Any impact load such as snatching would be even worse. Most Jeep clubs won't use those hooks for very good reason even when mounted as intended. This is not a good idea

Reactions: Chet and elkaholic

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!