P1000 Help! How to bend bumper back

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a snow plow on mine, the plow mount bolts with 4 bolts to tapped holes in the frame, if you use a 5/8 in receiver hitch pin through the holes the plow mounts to the mounting bracket, I had mine stuck real bad, used snatched block, 4500lb winch, returned the hook to the plow mount pin, worked real good, nothing broke or bent. The plow mount is like $40.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Those hooks are rated for 3,333lbs with a load limit of 10,000lbs in a straight line pull. Mounted vertically you induce a bending moment on the hook cross section rather than a purely tensile load. A simple winch and snatch block load hooked on that hook as is could apply 4,500lbs force which exceeds the rating and very likely the actual breaking strength. Any impact load such as snatching would be even worse. Most Jeep clubs won't use those hooks for very good reason even when mounted as intended. This is not a good idea

Precisely. Plus the design is to be pulled in a way the bolts are in shear, not in tension

They may work for his use, but I would not hook my rig to that setup to pull it

To be clear, I am not trying to be an ass though I likely am. I am pointing out an unsound recovery setup from an engineering and safety standpoint. I don't want to see anyone get hurt.

Stepping down from the soapbox now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ToddACimer
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Joey,
Which d-ring shackles are these that have backing plate? Did you order online? I wouldn't have thought it was strong enough mounted there. I thought something would have to be attached from frame.

The red ones have the backing plate. I can't remember if this is something I made or it came with them. These of been tested many times and proven strong. They were purchased from TS Iron Works. Just google that name. They are in Arizona. They were quite expensive at $90.

For our other white pioneer we did the local hardware store shackles. I think they are fine also. We put some very large washers behind it.

Reactions: Remington
urbancoyboyja

urbancoyboyja

Buckle Up, I Want To Try Something...
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2017
WV, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
26b6acd9de503ea5cfb440685bd376b8

I did the same thing. Even broke my winch cable on the first pull. I heated my bumper and pushed against a tree to try and straighten it. Didn't work very well. Hard to straighten without wrinkling it. If anybody has a stock bumper for sale let me know. We can work out shipping or I might be able to pick it up. I want to keep my approach angle the stock bumper allows. I will be mounting some tow points with backing plates on the next one.

urbancoyboyja

urbancoyboyja

Buckle Up, I Want To Try Something...
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2017
WV, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
0ad5e1ce55ca672e0806b4e4274b66bb

Here it is now. StraightER......

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got ¼ flat bar behind mine, @Hondasxs near stalled his winch and pulled me partly through a muddy berm trying to unstick his machine.

No deformation.

467a06144d7180ae2af219f0b2e13a7e

They are the biggest bolt on ones from TSC, I think 11,000lb static, probably 5500lb dynamic load.

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 53984

I did the same thing. Even broke my winch cable on the first pull. I heated my bumper and pushed against a tree to try and straighten it. Didn't work very well. Hard to straighten without wrinkling it. If anybody has a stock bumper for sale let me know. We can work out shipping or I might be able to pick it up. I want to keep my approach angle the stock bumper allows. I will be mounting some tow points with backing plates on the next one.

PM sent about bumper. I've got two so one may go to the OP of this thread. The other is yours if you can make it work.

Reactions: lee
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also have a front bumper I am never gonna use and its not got a scratch on it if someone wants it.

Reactions: lee
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ill ship whatever is needed of me

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Knuckledeep lives in Eustis about 10 minutes from me. I'm in Mt Dora.
I love my Honda, and I love this forum with such nice people! I haven't got to really use my side by side much other than a small property near me. I have a two year old and grandparents haven't been able to babysit. Can't wait to take it to the Ocala National forest!

Oh god. My ex wife is from the Eustis/Mt Dora area. And her crazy ass mother for that matter.

advertisement
ShadowAero

ShadowAero

“Big Tasty”
Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2017
Mount Dora, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Knuckle deep, your P1K is awesome. Love the paint! Do you have step bars under doors?
I’d like to paint d rings white to match my p1k. Did you do paint yourself?
I wasn’t sure which weekend you’ll see joeymt33. No rush just excited to make my P1K back to normal.

Reactions: joeymt33
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Knuckle deep, your P1K is awesome. Love the paint! Do you have step bars under doors?
I’d like to paint d rings white to match my p1k. Did you do paint yourself?
I wasn’t sure which weekend you’ll see joeymt33. No rush just excited to make my P1K back to normal.
Yes i have rock sliders under the doors and now i have full metal doors. We can paint your rings white. Ill be seeing joey this weekend

B

brianmcbride99

Nov 7, 2016
O'fallon, MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a factory bumper for sale if anyone needs one. I would let it go for $50 + shipping. Only 330 miles on it. If shipping is too much I could knock a little off price, or even meet somewhere near the saint Louis, mo area.

Kmills

Kmills

Jul 24, 2017
Columbia ms
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That is a bad setup for many reasons and an accident waiting to happen.

I agree with you on that. Looks like a hospital trip if those hooks are used at that angle.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!