Head gasket leak
Injector leaks
Improper gap
Ignition timing delay
Poor maintenance
Driving habits (low speed, idling)
Incorrect plugs installed
Wrong/bad fuel used
I'm going to go with running hot as she did have to work hard pulling a drag in soft snow with the tracks on, I'll add plugs to my "spare parts on hand" list

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have also seen spark plug hi voltage coils not putting out a high enough voltage (shorted coil) cause this. There is a coil for each plug, so unless both plugs are bad this shouldn't be the issue in your case.
Just want to throw that out there. :)

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So here we go again

How many rubber band machines does it take to pull a P1K?
Answer, Two!!
IMG 8788 2

Yes that's my machine with a new set of plugs
It wouldn't start so installed new plugs. fired right up, drove it for a day, parked for a day. Today it started perfectly, drove for 2 minutes and died, like some one reached over and turned off the key. So much for the new set of plugs. what's causing the plugs to die?

H

HondaTech

So here we go again

How many rubber band machines does it take to pull a P1K?
Answer, Two!!
View attachment 381605

Yes that's my machine with a new set of plugs
It wouldn't start so installed new plugs. fired right up, drove it for a day, parked for a day. Today it started perfectly, drove for 2 minutes and died, like some one reached over and turned off the key. So much for the new set of plugs. what's causing the plugs to die?

Does the dash do anything when it shuts off?

Flashing any lights?

Battery cables tight?

Reactions: Lady01 and Buggyman
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
no but when I put a wrench on them there was less than a 1/16 of a turn
I would still take them off and scuff up the surface with a wire brush just to make sure u have made good contact. I never trust factory grounds. Even tho they are tight, all they did was put it on. Have had many issues on standby Generators I work on with weird issues cuz of the contact with factory grounds. Sounds simple right?

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would still take them off and scuff up the surface with a wire brush just to make sure u have made good contact. I never trust factory grounds. Even tho they are tight, all they did was put it on. Have had many issues on standby Generators I work on with weird issues cuz of the contact with factory grounds. Sounds simple right?
Ditto Remington. My grounds felt snug, but they pulled them and sandpapered the contact surfaces and I've never had a problem since. Go figure.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought I would give you an update after I put on few miles on just to make sure that's its all good
The dealer said that the connector on the front fuel injector was not seated properly. They suggested that when I changed plugs that I probably bumped the connector and it started again. after a few miles it probably wiggled off and shut down the machine. It did come back to me with the temporary plugs I had put in, so it wasn't the plugs. They tested the factory original plugs and said they where fine. Just to make sure I covered all the bases I removed the grounds, scuffed them with sandpaper, slathered dielectric grease on them and put them back together. I had not checked the ground by the starter because as you can see Honda doesn't want you to
IMG 8882
After a little surgery I could get to the bolt. It was super tight, but I still removed, cleaned, and greased it and put it back together
IMG 8883

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!