P1000 Help! my '22 trail won't start

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Today I went to start my machine and it did nothing but turn over. (Yesterday I went and pulled a drag up and down the road, It ran great. It got warm as in the rad fan ran full time and the heater had great output, but it did not over heat!) When cranking the volt meter dropped to 11.3v, I hooked up my booster pack just to make sure it was not a voltage issue. I tried the tip from @Holtz where he put his machine in low and switched to turf mode to overcome a starting issue. That worked! I disconnect the booster and let the machine idle while I put the booster away and put the hood back on. Then the machine stalled. When I got in the power steering light was on as was the check engine light. I tried to start the machine and it wouldn't start. It would fire occasionally but not start. I came back 5-10 minutes later and it started, It was running rough, sounded like it was running on one cylinder, I revved it up and it was missing badly, stalled and would not restart. 10 - 15 minutes later same cycle. The temp was +5C, the machine has just over 300km, no issues, never swamped, only sees gravel roads. Anybody ever experience something like this? Where would you suggest I start looking? I appreciate any help you can give me

Joe

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
u can tell which cylinder is not firing, wear gloves, get close too g=header with hand, or hit headers with spray bottle water

bet it smells like fuel outta the exhaust

H

HondaTech

That's what I was hoping for, My boat started running crappy and plugs fixed that. But with only about 200 miles? would they fail that soon? Have you seen that on machines you worked on? replace with the same as what's in there or do you recommend something different?

Ive seen a few 22 models that have run like crap off the truck. I attribute it to short euns at the factory and low levels of fuel.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What sleds you got?
A ski Doo 900ACE and a 600ACE
here is the 600
IMG 8666

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Arrived back home today, There is virtually no snow 10 miles south of us, Here we still have well over a foot, so we could ride the sleds back in. @HondaTech was right, it was the Plugs! Had a heck of a time finding replacements. Ended up with NGK 4908 LMAR7A-9, instead of the original LMAR7M-9S. I also had to buy a couple of cheap plugs to get the threaded adaptor as the original plugs have a solid top and the replacements had a threaded top. Still find it odd that they failed so soon. I did try to start it before I took things apart, there was not even a hint of a fire. Fired immediately with the replacements. I am going to order the correct plugs and keep these as back ups. This is what the old plugs looked like The blackened on came from the front cylinder.

Thanks again to those who helped me out!

IMG 8782

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Often, plugs are not the root cause. They are often a symptom of something else being wrong. Could be bad fuel ... ? Leaking gasket?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Arrived back home today, There is virtually no snow 10 miles south of us, Here we still have well over a foot, so we could ride the sleds back in. @HondaTech was right, it was the Plugs! Had a heck of a time finding replacements. Ended up with NGK 4908 LMAR7A-9, instead of the original LMAR7M-9S. I also had to buy a couple of cheap plugs to get the threaded adaptor as the original plugs have a solid top and the replacements had a threaded top. Still find it odd that they failed so soon. I did try to start it before I took things apart, there was not even a hint of a fire. Fired immediately with the replacements. I am going to order the correct plugs and keep these as back ups. This is what the old plugs looked like The blackened on came from the front cylinder.

Thanks again to those who helped me out!

View attachment 381066
Partzilla has the plugs listed as available..

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Often, plugs are not the root cause. They are often a symptom of something else being wrong. Could be bad fuel ... ? Leaking gasket?
I agree, But what is the root cause? Same fuel as I use in the cars, sleds, and power tools without any issues. One plug looks slightly fouled but not the other, Why? The SxS has about 300 km and ran perfect until it didn't. Doesn't get abused, never overheated, Hardest life is running tracks. What throws me off is it ran perfect the day before, next morning there were issues. The dealer is getting me the correct plugs and I'll swap those in and keep these as spares

H

HondaTech

It's been a thing, usually I can tell on Talons before they foul completely.

The unit will struggle to hold steady rpm around 2k and will stutter a bit revving from idle around the same rpm. Buy clears out at higher rpm.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I agree, But what is the root cause?

Just some of the reasons that cause spark plugs to foul:

Overheating or running very hot
Rich fuel mixture
O2 sensor fault
Restricted exhaust/restricted air intake
Excess carbon buildup
Worn piston rings or cylinder walls
Work valve guides
Head gasket leak
Injector leaks
Improper gap
Ignition timing delay
Poor maintenance
Driving habits (low speed, idling)
Incorrect plugs installed
Wrong/bad fuel used

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!