P1000 Help please - Lost Plastic Straw in Engine

GoinForARip

GoinForARip

Jan 2, 2021
British Columbia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You'll spend more time and money buying grabbers to reach into the oil pan and try to grasp the dropped parts - if all goes well.

Even assuming you can grasp the lost parts, it's likely to be a challenge to turn them just right to fish them back through the dipstick tube.

I would drain the oil and drop the pan as the skilled techs have suggested.
Thank you for the advice good sir

Reactions: ChadD
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Get pics so we can see what it looks like when you drop the pan. I'm wondering if the straw will be right there or what...

Reactions: ChadD and CID
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Here is a longshot if everything else fails.

Put a dab of superglue on a popsicle stick or something similar.

Or maybe a little double sided tape.

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Unfortunately, the oil coated surfaces will foil that plan and preclude the use of most any adhesive known to man (and probably known to women also - 'cepting for the stuff they use on pasties and strapless bras of course).

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@GoinForARip

Remember the engine case and pan are aluminum when you reinstall the pan. Tightening pattern and torque specs for the pan bolts can probably be found online.

540RA

540RA

Not So Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2023
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew

....some thick bearing grease on the end of a wood dowel rod works well for getting small/light items out of tight spaces (saved me from having to remove the intake from a car engine on more than one occasion).

Last edited:
GoinForARip

GoinForARip

Jan 2, 2021
British Columbia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
UPDATE - Straw has been removed and we are back in action. Ended up taking it to the shop and having a mechanic fish it out. Great to have our little beast back in action again!

Thanks for all the advice, and also for not making me feel any sillier than I already did. Lessons were learned!

Happy trails all

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks for telling us the rest of the story. Members of the forum often go to lengths to provide long and detailed suggestions and solutions to problems and the man who asked disappears and never returns.

We appreciate the feedback.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
UPDATE - Straw has been removed and we are back in action. Ended up taking it to the shop and having a mechanic fish it out. Great to have our little beast back in action again!

Thanks for all the advice, and also for not making me feel any sillier than I already did. Lessons were learned!

Happy trails all
outstanding admittal and folllow-up - kudos and enjoy the ride

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
OT... I bought one of those protosc... I mean endoscope thingies. I was trying to find where a plumbing vent was clogged in an old cast iron stack. Never did find it, but now I have a scope that will sit in the pile of 'stuff you buy and never use'. I've got quite the pile.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all,

2021 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe owner here with a problem.

Well I’ve done it now. I overfilled the oil level quite a bit during an oil change, and used a manual oil extractor pump to try to get some out. In the process of doing this the straw and plastic connector came loose, and they are now lost in the engine. Bozo move, I know, I know….

The plastic straw 1/4” wide x 7” long. It’s in so deep that I can’t seem to be able to fish it out. There is also the black plastic connector that joins the straws together, that’s lost in there too.

I was sucking the oil through the dip stick hole, that’s where the straw got lost. Not sure how far in the straw is, but deep enough that I can’t get it with foreceps.

So the question is. What next? I’m not super mechanical (if that isn’t already apparent). Do I take it to the shop and have them take the engine apart to get the straw? Or is this not as big a deal as I am currently thinking? Will the straw melt, or get ground up and damage by baby? What would you do???

Picture attached of the oil extractor.

Your advice is much appreciated 🙏

View attachment 406947
Agree with those who say don't run it until the straw is out.
Stuff like this happens. A few months ago I wrote about dropping a roll of electrical tape in the air intake.
A kind soul on this board helped me figure out how to extract without a full takedown.
Good luck.

Reactions: Jerryg and JenElio

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!