P1000 Help please - Lost Plastic Straw in Engine

GoinForARip

GoinForARip

Jan 2, 2021
British Columbia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all,

2021 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe owner here with a problem.

Well I’ve done it now. I overfilled the oil level quite a bit during an oil change, and used a manual oil extractor pump to try to get some out. In the process of doing this the straw and plastic connector came loose, and they are now lost in the engine. Bozo move, I know, I know….

The plastic straw 1/4” wide x 7” long. It’s in so deep that I can’t seem to be able to fish it out. There is also the black plastic connector that joins the straws together, that’s lost in there too.

I was sucking the oil through the dip stick hole, that’s where the straw got lost. Not sure how far in the straw is, but deep enough that I can’t get it with foreceps.

So the question is. What next? I’m not super mechanical (if that isn’t already apparent). Do I take it to the shop and have them take the engine apart to get the straw? Or is this not as big a deal as I am currently thinking? Will the straw melt, or get ground up and damage by baby? What would you do???

Picture attached of the oil extractor.

Your advice is much appreciated 🙏

EE274473 50B0 4C02 9378 9966C9D02B38

H

HondaTech

If you were in the dipstick hole then just remove the oil pan.

The gasket is metal and if your careful pulling it off you can reuse it.

The only thing in there is the pump pickup. It might fall out, but usually stays stuck on the engine

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
don't panic....... :cool: ----s*** happens

try shop vac or one of them harbor freight expandable claws to grab it
I was gonna say shop vac. I have got fuel can nozzles out of fuel tanks on equipment at work doing that. Might have to tape a smaller tube to the shop vac hose

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If you were in the dipstick hole then just remove the oil pan.

The gasket is metal and if your careful pulling it off you can reuse it.

The only thing in there is the pump pickup. It might fall out, but usually stays stuck on the engine
Here is your answer if the pickup claw doesn't work.
Oil pan removal is not that big of a job overall in comparison to what it could of been.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Once you unscrew yourself. Read the fine owner manual for how much oil to add. Also this guide is helpful if you READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST good luck.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can also buy an "endoscope" (kind of a camera and light) on a flex shaft that will allow you to "look" for the missing part - - once you drain the oil again first. The scope can cost about $30 or so, then also use the grabber tool suggested and you can perform non-invasive surgery.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You can also buy an "endoscope" (kind of a camera and light) on a flex shaft that will allow you to "look" for the missing part - - once you drain the oil again first. The scope can cost about $30 or so, then also use the grabber tool suggested and you can perform non-invasive surgery.
Great idea.

someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
SIX steps to happiness.

1. relax
2. drain oil into clean container for reuse.
3. take a peak with a bright light and assess.
4. if visible, flexi grabby thingy as noted above
5. if not visible, or in a bad position, remove pan.
6. re install pan, fill w/ oil to correct level, enjoy.

(if you or a neighbor/friend have a small borescope, the Dewalt one is sweet, might be a really handy tool for assessment and removal through the dipstick hole)

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You'll spend more time and money buying grabbers to reach into the oil pan and try to grasp the dropped parts - if all goes well.

Even assuming you can grasp the lost parts, it's likely to be a challenge to turn them just right to fish them back through the dipstick tube.

I would drain the oil and drop the pan as the skilled techs have suggested.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
$5.69 won't break most folks, @HBarlow. I've had one like this, as well as things like small telescoping magnet tools, for decades. Use both for lots of things.

Been meaning to pick up an inexpensive endoscope as well. Many have ends you can add to the end of the camera for hooking or are magnetic. I've seen those as cheap as $18 to $25.

But, yea, a straw ... might be a PITA.

GoinForARip

GoinForARip

Jan 2, 2021
British Columbia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
SIX steps to happiness.

1. relax
2. drain oil into clean container for reuse.
3. take a peak with a bright light and assess.
4. if visible, flexi grabby thingy as noted above
5. if not visible, or in a bad position, remove pan.
6. re install pan, fill w/ oil to correct level, enjoy.

(if you or a neighbor/friend have a small borescope, the Dewalt one is sweet, might be a really handy tool for assessment and removal through the dipstick hole)
Great advice thank you so much 😀

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!