P1000 Knocking noise after hitting the trails HARD! Help?

M

MBaughman2001

Oct 10, 2023
Perry, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good morning! I have a 2021 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 SE with the factory Fox Shocks. Went a little hard over the weekend at the trails and am now having an issue with the rear end that I cannot easily diagnose. Machine operates fine when the gas is pressed, but as soon as you let off there is a knocking sound coming from the back drivers tire area in a rhythmic pattern, everytime the wheel turns. I am attaching a video below as well. With just a light press on the brakes, the sound goes away. It is enough that it actually shakes the rear end of the vehicle, so it's more than just a little sound.

Any thoughts before I dive into this and start pulling things apart?

20231009 161653 20231009 161659 20231009 161702 20231009 161708 20231009 161717 20231009 161722

M

MBaughman2001

Oct 10, 2023
Perry, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's pretty low mileage for CV joint problems but with today's quality control issues, not impossible.

When my Talon CV started failing, it clicked under power, not on decel. It was worse when turning but Talons have a locked rear diff, no turf mode.
I will say that it doesn't have any effect turning right or left, still does it under decel and turning. Any pressure on the brake stops it completely.
Happened right after a really hard hit into a rut on the back left side.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will say that it doesn't have any effect turning right or left, still does it under decel and turning. Any pressure on the brake stops it completely.
Just noticed where you are from. Send me a PM. I can swing by and check it out with you.

Edit: I think I know where you are. I have seen your machine in Perry. I know exactly what survey you live in. Driven past your place a few times.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Your video was pretty good for hearing the sound, unlike many others I could barely hear. Is your camera small enough to fasten by both the inner and outer CV joint and drive. That might narrow down whether it's at the diff end or wheel end of the axle.

M

MBaughman2001

Oct 10, 2023
Perry, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your video was pretty good for hearing the sound, unlike many others I could barely hear. Is your camera small enough to fasten by both the inner and outer CV joint and drive. That might narrow down whether it's at the diff end or wheel end of the axle.
Not really. I was hanging my hand out of the window holding it back by the tire driving down the road :)

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If braking quiets it, you've got an immediate place to look. Jack it up and first try to wobble the wheel on both sides. If they are solid, take the tires off and see if the rotors are tight.

If everything seems tight, look for anything lodged between your brake pads / calipers / rotors.

If it were an axle or diff issue, I wouldn't expect braking to quiet it.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just noticed where you are from. Send me a PM. I can swing by and check it out with you.

Edit: I think I know where you are. I have seen your machine in Perry. I know exactly what survey you live in. Driven past your place a few times.
Just joined 5 hours ago and he's already got a stalker lol

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did just listen to your video. Where I expected to hear a rotational scrubbing sound, you have an actual thunk.

That would make me think axle, but it's not noisy until deceleration, so that doesn't seem to fit either...

One thing I've found over my 13000 miles of ownership: causes to stuff like this usually show up pretty clearly once you take just a few things apart and wiggle stuff. Good luck and please be sure to come back and let us know what you found. It's the best thing you can do to help others.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!