P1000 '18 P1k-5 shift help

S

sozzy

Aug 21, 2023
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, new to this site. I've searched all over the interwebs looking for answers to my situation but to no success, so I joined the site so I can ask exactly what I need...

I purchased a 2018 P1000-5 a couple months ago as a basket case. Wasn't running. I adjusted the valves, replaced plugs, changed fluids and filters, etc. And got it running. It had a tick which I narrowed down to a chain guide. Had to remove the rear transmission plates, oil tank, etc ( forget the actual nomenclature...) to get at the chain guides. Other than the tick, it ran well and shifted fine in auto and manual.

I've got it all back together and it will not shift out of first. Auto or manual. I can't even get the manual bypass shifter to work ( the manual mechanism next to the shift motor). I did a clutch relearn and it's still not working. It will run ok in first or reverse, high or low doesn't matter. After running for a bit, it will shut off and show a code 57. Turn the key off then back on and it starts right up again.
I ordered a new angle sensor, but am not sure that is the issue as the manual shift mechanism doesn't work. Just turns and turns. I took apart the gear reduction stuff and it all looks ok. I can't seem to find a schematic showing the manual shift mechanism... Only the gear reduction section.

I also took the shift motor out and had my wife try shifting in manual mode with the paddles and the motor seems to be working, though I will probably pull it back apart and clean up the brushes.

Anyone have any advice? What should I check on the manual shift mechanism? I'm really thinking this is my issue, like I didn't reinstall something correctly.

Reactions: ChadD and JenElio
Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Being your first post you better get a pic of that rig posted here before the cops get here. Then you will get some ideas of where to look. Lots of very knowledgeable and experienced fellas here. Good luck!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I purchased a 2018 P1000-5 a couple months ago
👮‍♂️🚓🚨
Welcome from Michigan.

Yup, your first post so….
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
I've searched all over the interwebs looking for answers
But did you use the search on here? 🤔
Also. Need Miles, have the clutchs been updated, and was it ever swamped will help us too.

S

sozzy

Aug 21, 2023
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I used the search. Couldn't find what I need.
No pics. Hands were covered in oil and couldn't take any.
12,xxx miles
clutches looked really good, not sure about any history regarding updates/ service. Really don't think my issue is clutch related. It shifted fine before I tore apart the back plates to fix the chain guide.
IMG 20230703 171051889 HDR

H

HondaTech

No. Just turns. Spins All the way around
Then the shift spindle isn't engaging the return spring on the pin inside the rear of the engine. You may have slid it out some when removing the engine cover.

Tale the cover off behind the shift motor first and make sure everything there is correct. But it's sounds like the the engine is coming back apart.

Code 57 is being thrown because the shift motor is trying to shift but it doesn't see the shift happen or it returning correctly.

S

sozzy

Aug 21, 2023
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Then the shift spindle isn't engaging the return spring on the pin inside the rear of the engine. You may have slid it out some when removing the engine cover.

Tale the cover off behind the shift motor first and make sure everything there is correct. But it's sounds like the the engine is coming back apart.

Code 57 is being thrown because the shift motor is trying to shift but it doesn't see the shift happen or it returning correctly.
That's what I needed, thank you. Anyone have a picture of what it should look like? The schematic on line is not great and I don't even see the manual mechanism.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's what I needed, thank you. Anyone have a picture of what it should look like? The schematic on line is not great and I don't even see the manual mechanism.
If you upgrade your membership you will have access to the service manual. Being this deep into it sounds like a manual would be handy.

S

sozzy

Aug 21, 2023
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just removed the shift motor and gear reduction stuff... Realized the pie shaped gear wasn't engaging the reduction gears. It has plenty of spring tension, just not making contact. I found I was able to pry it from the splined shaft, which luckily was not keyed. I reset the gear onto the shaft so it was engaging the reduction gears. Now the manual shift mechanism is spring loaded.
While I had it off, I took apart the shift motor and cleaned the brushes. Bit of a PITA to reassemble with ham fists, but I got it back together.
Did a clutch relearn for good measure and went down the road for a test drive. Seemed to shift pretty hard at first and manual mode worked well but it did stall a couple times and gave me a code 27 and 52. I'm thinking the new angle sensor will fix the 52. Should be here by Saturday. I think the 27 is for an O2 sensor so I'll have to get a new one too.

IMG 20230823 160225749 IMG 20230823 160219490 IMG 20230823 160222899

H

HondaTech

Just removed the shift motor and gear reduction stuff... Realized the pie shaped gear wasn't engaging the reduction gears. It has plenty of spring tension, just not making contact. I found I was able to pry it from the splined shaft, which luckily was not keyed. I reset the gear onto the shaft so it was engaging the reduction gears. Now the manual shift mechanism is spring loaded.
While I had it off, I took apart the shift motor and cleaned the brushes. Bit of a PITA to reassemble with ham fists, but I got it back together.
Did a clutch relearn for good measure and went down the road for a test drive. Seemed to shift pretty hard at first and manual mode worked well but it did stall a couple times and gave me a code 27 and 52. I'm thinking the new angle sensor will fix the 52. Should be here by Saturday. I think the 27 is for an O2 sensor so I'll have to get a new one too.

View attachment 400465 View attachment 400466 View attachment 400467

Are the codes flashing on the gear position or CEL?

You won't get an O2 code on the gear position and O2 sensors are always code 23

Code 52 is a NO 2 EOP sensor if im not mistaken. Check the ground next to the starter

S

sozzy

Aug 21, 2023
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's flashing on the gear position. What is 27 then? Grounds are good.... Tightened them all when I was putting the machine back together. Don't see any torn or pinched wires going to the shift motor or solenoids, etc. I was having a helluva time trying to get the shift motor connected.

H

HondaTech

It's flashing on the gear position. What is 27 then? Grounds are good.... Tightened them all when I was putting the machine back together. Don't see any torn or pinched wires going to the shift motor or solenoids, etc. I was having a helluva time trying to get the shift motor connected.

I'll have to look at the manual later

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
DTC 27-1 (SHIFT DRUM POSITION
MALFUNCTION)
1. TR Sensor System Inspection
Check the TR sensor with the MCS.
Is Low voltage (about O VJ or High voltage (about
5 VJ indicated?
YES - • About O V: See OTC 51-1 (page 11-34).
• About 5 V: See OTC 51-2 (page 11-36).
NO - GO TO STEP 2.
2. Shift Control Motor/Reduction gear condition
Check that the shift control motor and reduction
gears are installed properly and are not damaged.
Are the shift control motor and reduction gears
in normal condition?
YES - GO TO STEP 3.
NO - Install the shift control motor and reduction
gears properly or replace faulty parts.
3. Shift Control Motor Condition Inspection
Remove the shift control motor (page 11-50).
Connect a fully charged 12 V battery [1] to the motor
2P connector [2] terminals to check the motor
operation.
Change the battery connection to check the reverse
operation.
Does the shift control motor turn in both
directions?
YES - GO TO STEP 4.
NO - Faulty shift control motor

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!