P1000 Help: Pioneer 1000 dies after it reaches normal operating temperature!

B

BigNBlack7

Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2017
Morgantown, WV
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000 with 3,800 miles. Out of now where on a ride this past fall, the machine just just down abruptly as I was driving. It started up and the motor ran fine, but when you put it and any gear (R, H, or L), it acts as if it's in neutral and will not move. It displays a random gear on the screen where the R, H, or L would be. No blinking dash giving a code, no check engine lights, nothing. If you let the machine sit for a few hours, it will start up and run fine like nothing is wrong. Full power, shifting through the gears seamlessly. Randomly it will shut down again and when you start it back up it is the same as I described above.

I did an oil change and sub-transmission oil change just for good measure and to rule out any issues there. I went through and checked that all the grounds were tight. Nothing seemed to help, so I took it to my dealer to have them look at it. After them scratching their heads for a few weeks not having a clue what's wrong with it, they called me and said I need a complete new wiring harness (I was skeptical about this and figured they were just going to throw parts at it and pray) and they were going to charge me $2,500 to buy and install it. I politely declined and told them if it needs a new wiring harness I can buy one for $500 and put it on myself. So I ordered a new wiring harness for $475 from bikebandit.com and installed it. I made sure to put dielectric grease on every connection and installed it exactly as the original. I started the machine up after I was done with high hopes and took it for a drive. Everything was running fine. Full power and shifting through the gears perfectly. I made it about 200 yards and it died. Started it up again and it's doing the same thing as before. Shocker, it wasn't the wiring harness as I assumed when the dealer told me this.

At this point I've exhausted all my efforts to figure out what's wrong with it. Not myself or the dealer has any idea what's causing this. Decided to post on here and see if by some stroke of luck someone else has had this issue and was able to fix it.

Thanks!!
86430890 2616153445294797 3694075086089748480 n
86472394 1633234990150478 5431881917056155648 n

• Sad
Reactions: Lady01 and Isaiah
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Too late now but this would've been a lot cheaper part throw.
Screenshot 20200217 102418 Chrome

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After the harness change, are you getting any new codes?
Any chance you can replicate the problem with a camera aimed at the dash and upload to youtube?
If/when it dies, please let it record for 45-60 seconds before restarting.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This does not sound fuel injector related because of the below.

but when you put it and any gear (R, H, or L), it acts as if it's in neutral and will not move. It displays a random gear on the screen where the R, H, or L would be
This sounds like the gear position switch and or wire issues related to.
The gear position switch tells the computer what gear to be in. It works off ground triggers by grounding the Reverse wire to tell the computer it is in reverse. If the computer sees Reverse and Drive at the same time it will disengage the clutches and put a (--) on the display in most cases. It could also cause it to shut off in some cases.

I would start there. you can test them by grounding the correct pin for the gear. The display should reflect.

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OP, it may be obvious from what HondaSxS provided, but my next step would be to check continuity to ground of the sensing wires while you are experiencing the problem. If more than one is continuous to ground, time for a new gear position switch. I'd even pull the connector and check the pins on the switch to ground to eliminate possibility of a wiring fault (which is low probability given your new harness).

And I'm afraid its likely time to fire your dealer. Or at least the service department. They should be able to troubleshoot this, or get Honda involved if their tech isn't sufficiently expert.

B

BigNBlack7

Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2017
Morgantown, WV
Ownership

1. Talon R
Too late now but this would've been a lot cheaper part throw.View attachment 184605

I've actually had to replace an injector in the past when I could get the machine to run. Unfortunately, I'm not having any issues with the engine running this time. It runs balanced and smoothly. Just won't move.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've actually had to replace an injector in the past when I could get the machine to run. Unfortunately, I'm not having any issues with the engine running this time. It runs balanced and smoothly. Just won't move.
If you get it figured out, be sure to post it here. I plan on keeping my 1000 for a long time. I like knowing all the issues that I could have in future and how I can fix them if they arise. Thanks in advance for any info.

B

BigNBlack7

Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2017
Morgantown, WV
Ownership

1. Talon R
OP, it may be obvious from what HondaSxS provided, but my next step would be to check continuity to ground of the sensing wires while you are experiencing the problem. If more than one is continuous to ground, time for a new gear position switch. I'd even pull the connector and check the pins on the switch to ground to eliminate possibility of a wiring fault (which is low probability given your new harness).

And I'm afraid its likely time to fire your dealer. Or at least the service department. They should be able to troubleshoot this, or get Honda involved if their tech isn't sufficiently expert.

The sad truth is that they may have known what the issue is and tried to jab me with a very expensive wiring harness change in addition to fixing the actual issue (however cheap it might be). I have little to no faith in any dealer service department at this point from the experiences I've had. Very similar to a used car salesmen in by book.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
B

BigNBlack7

Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2017
Morgantown, WV
Ownership

1. Talon R
After the harness change, are you getting any new codes?
Any chance you can replicate the problem with a camera aimed at the dash and upload to youtube?
If/when it dies, please let it record for 45-60 seconds before restarting.

The gear position switch tells the computer what gear to be in. It works off ground triggers by grounding the Reverse wire to tell the computer it is in reverse. If the computer sees Reverse and Drive at the same time it will disengage the clutches and put a (--) on the display in most cases. It could also cause it to shut off in some cases.

I would start there. you can test them by grounding the correct pin for the gear. The display should reflect.

Any idea where I could get the correct gear position switch for a 2019 P-1000?

Reactions: Lady01
S

shaunp

Sep 17, 2017
california
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We had the exact same thing happen to us twice. My son videoed the event and the sxs dying when ever we shifted. We sent it to Stockton Honda and they felt it was a valve issue. The way I understood it, the "timing" was way off and the machine would sense an issue. Not sure if this makes any sense as it only happened randomly and ran fine at other times. Just got it out of the shop and it ran fine yesterday. We are grateful to hear others are working on this issue. We take our pioneer into areas it would take days to walk out of when hunting.

B

BigNBlack7

Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2017
Morgantown, WV
Ownership

1. Talon R

Where is the gear position switch located? Also, where can I find the correct replacement switch?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@BigNBlack7 is your machine a 2016 or 2019?
Give me a few minutes and I will screenshot the page in my manual.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks @Neohio.
@BigNBlack7 , I think the problem is here somewhere.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!