P1000 Help: Pioneer 1000 dies after it reaches normal operating temperature!

B

BigNBlack7

Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2017
Morgantown, WV
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just an update. I replaced the sub-transmission position switch and the piece of wiring harness that comes with it, and I replaced the shift spindle angle sensor in the shift control motor. Neither of these fixed my issue. The mystery continues....

Reactions: TripleB
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just an update. I replaced the sub-transmission position switch and the piece of wiring harness that comes with it, and I replaced the shift spindle angle sensor in the shift control motor. Neither of these fixed my issue. The mystery continues....
Did you just fire the parts cannon at it and hope it would solve it?
Did you follow the Honda factor tree to determine whether it failed or not?

Reactions: Lady01
H

HondaTech

Late to the game, so the unit is fine until its warmed up, correct?

When the unit shuts down, does the oil light on the dash come on before it shuts off?

Has the clutch update been done or the clutches ever been replaced?

B

BigNBlack7

Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2017
Morgantown, WV
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you just fire the parts cannon at it and hope it would solve it?
Did you follow the Honda factor tree to determine whether it failed or not?
I don't know anything about the Honda factor tree you're talking about. I replace the two sensors that were discussed on here that could have been the possible issues. They made some sense based on what is going wrong. But no luck with that so far.

B

BigNBlack7

Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2017
Morgantown, WV
Ownership

1. Talon R
Late to the game, so the unit is fine until its warmed up, correct?

When the unit shuts down, does the oil light on the dash come on before it shuts off?

Has the clutch update been done or the clutches ever been replaced?

It's not as simple as it just shuts down after it is warmed up. It's pretty random. If you leave it sit for a couple days, you can almost bet it will drive normal for about 100 yards and then it will shut down. After it shuts down once, it's pretty much done for the day and you won't be able to get it to move again even after you let it cool down.

I did have the clutch update and all other product improvement work done to the machine.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know anything about the Honda factor tree you're talking about. I replace the two sensors that were discussed on here that could have been the possible issues. They made some sense based on what is going wrong. But no luck with that so far.
I uploaded a test procedure earlier in this thread for those sensors.

B

BigNBlack7

Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2017
Morgantown, WV
Ownership

1. Talon R
After messing with it some more this weekend, I believe I've found the problem. I took the shift control motor off and took it apart to clean it up and looked for any signs of malfunction. Didn't really see any issues, so I put it back on after cleaning it. Started it up and put it in reverse. It seemed to function fine. Put it in drive and rode around the yard for awhile. All was fine, so I took it on a longer ride roughly 20 miles or so. Everything is running and shifting great. My guess is that the shift control motor was shorting out for some reason. Not sure what was causing that, but I ordered a new motor to put on it just for good measure. Hopefully I don't have that issue anymore.

weelad

weelad

Sep 9, 2019
West Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you figured it out and thanks for posting back with a resolution for others. Wasnt sure about overheating as much when you said it would stop within 100 yards and not go into gear. I had a 2002 gmc yukon that stopped shifting into 4wd and people typically have to replace the shift motor as it a common problem. I was lucky enough to do the same as you and unplugged and cleaned it and it started to work fine so it was just a continuity problem at the connector. Enjoyed many more years of good service before getting rid of the truck. You can replace it for piece of mind and hope it is your fix.

H

Heathmc3827

Oct 12, 2020
Cleveland Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2016 1000-5 delux is doing the exact same thing yours did. It dies once it reaches operating temp and will not move when in gear. It also shows the random gear in the display. After it cools down it starts right up and runs normal. Did cleaning the shift control motor complete your project or has it happened since.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My 2016 1000-5 delux is doing the exact same thing yours did. It dies once it reaches operating temp and will not move when in gear. It also shows the random gear in the display. After it cools down it starts right up and runs normal. Did cleaning the shift control motor complete your project or has it happened since.
That dude ain't been on here since March. So I would guess this fixed his problem.

H

Heathmc3827

Oct 12, 2020
Cleveland Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Who can tell me where the shift control motor is located on the 2016 1000-5. I think I know but can’t seem to find a diagram.

H

Heathmc3827

Oct 12, 2020
Cleveland Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I ended up doing the same and removed the shift control motor and cleaned it up. I’ve been driving it for a few weeks now and have not had any issues so for. I will say I also installed a dual battery kit and it feels as if it is riding and shifting a lot better.

P

Prather

Jan 26, 2021
Pinon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After messing with it some more this weekend, I believe I've found the problem. I took the shift control motor off and took it apart to clean it up and looked for any signs of malfunction. Didn't really see any issues, so I put it back on after cleaning it. Started it up and put it in reverse. It seemed to function fine. Put it in drive and rode around the yard for awhile. All was fine, so I took it on a longer ride roughly 20 miles or so. Everything is running and shifting great. My guess is that the shift control motor was shorting out for some reason. Not sure what was causing that, but I ordered a new motor to put on it just for good measure. Hopefully I don't have that issue anymore.
Howdy All
Thanks for posting your fix here, I had the same thing but even more crazy go on with mine.
Dealers didn't have a clue.
But through reading this thread it is now back up and running.
The shift motor wasn't looking to bad on the inside but I noticed the brushes and where they contact the armature were ugly enough to need attention ,just cleaned and polished gently and away we go!
Thanks again.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I don't know if this fixed my random dying issue yet but thought I would post pictures of the process.

DSC 0752 DSC 0750 DSC 0751

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!