BOX1

Help with my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee inspection. (not ready)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went to go get it inspected and a small antifreeze leak checked on.
The leak turned out to be the thermostat and housing.
Paid to have it replaced because I don't have time to mess with it.
Along with a full coolant flush.

Anyways..
They tried to do an inspection but it was in "NOT READY" mode.
Why would it come up not ready when there has not been any check engine lights on?
Did the tech unhook the battery when doing the above for too long and made it go into NR status?
Drove it 20 miles today and I still have several NR.

Besides driving it another 20+ any other advice?
Thanks.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Eric O made some comments on getting the vehicle "ready" in this video I believe.

Closer towards the end of the video. It all has to do with drive cycles, and how the PCM reads a drive cycle.

It may have been this video.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Currently on a 20 mile HWY loop run.
120828b8f522ca5cad0324ab2da3186f

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not sure which scan tool you are using but depending on the PIDS available you may be seeing a list of non applicable status modes. Depending on your temperature outside it may take longer to achieve O2 sensor closed loop status. You may also need more drive cycles versus actual distance driven if your DTCs were cleared

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Eric O made some comments on getting the vehicle "ready" in this video I believe.

Closer towards the end of the video. It all has to do with drive cycles, and how the PCM reads a drive cycle.

It may have been this video.
That was interesting!

Reactions: FJC 79
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Currently on a 20 mile HWY loop run.
View attachment 369563

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
So...if I'm reading that right, the EVAP and EGR are the only ones available that haven't run?
EVAP may not run until car is off and sitting for a while. Lots of newer stuff does this post-drive testing now.

As for EGR...is this a hemi? A 3.6 doesn't have an EGR system as far as I know (don't quote me on that). Service data...IE-Alldata, Mitchel, etc will often give the criteria for self checks for each system, usually.

FJC 79

FJC 79

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
On my GMC I found info on the drive cycles on Google. certain speed for a certain amount of time then accelerate to a higher speed for a givin time then decelerate to a certain speed to shorten the amount of time it takes for the computer to relearn.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Disconnecting the battery can sometimes reset the control modules and clear codes. Some mechanics may also clear codes as a precaution when messing with just about anything. As an example your leaky thermostat could have had a pending status code for temp not reaching optimum temp in a specified amount of time. Or over temp codes pending status. You will not get a MIL while the status is only pending. You don't want the customer coming back the next day with a check engine light on after a repair was made, especially for something you just fixed. So some mechanics may just do a wipe or clear of the modules.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!